KitKat Android Version 4.4.4 on a Samsung Galaxy Player 5

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Hook, Mar 21, 2015.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

240 means smaller dots as long as an inch = an inch. You can fit more dots in an inch. It doesn't relate to pixels. But when you change DPI settings on your device, you're changing the scale. An inch could be bigger or smaller, depending on your setting. If your device was designed so that an inch equals 240 dots, when you give it a lower number, you're changing the size of the inch.

2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I think it would help if you referred to virtual pixels as Vixels and software adjusted inches as Virtual Inches, or Vinches. Not so much with comprehension, I just think it sounds funny and is almost seasonally appropriate (The Vinch that Stole Christmas while we were distracted trying to understand Vixels).

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Also, vpv * looks kinds of cute (keeping in the spirit of the season)

Did you realize that the word "vixel" is the contraction of two words, one of which is also a contracion (pixel, from picture and element). So it's a nested contraction, or nestraction.
    Time for coffee! Yay!

* vixels per vinch

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Vixels and vinches and warm woolen mittens. These are a few of my faaaaavorite things.... :vbeek: :vbgrin:

5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

You guys are killing me - great imagination & humor!

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

isn't Vixel one of Santa's 8 tiny reindeer?

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

So tiny Santa would need 200 (or 240 depending on his personal preference) to haul his sleigh... or would that be to inch his sleigh (since they're so tiny)? For that matter, would that be a sleigh, a sledge, or a sled? I never did quite get the difference.

8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

But that would suggest you can't increase resolution, only decrease it (combine pixels into a larger virtual pixel). That's where, regardless of the terminology of dpi or ppi, I don't see how these software things increase resolution?

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

You can increase or decrease resolution within the physical limits of the device. So, I think you're understanding correctly: you cannot increase resolution beyond the physical number of pixels. Furthermore, the device is probably set to maximum resolution out of the box. Therefore, end users can only reconfigure to a lower resolution. And since the screen size doesn't change (a 5.5" screen is always going to be a 5.5" screen), lowering the resolution results in images appearing larger (and less crisp) on the screen.

DPI settings are supposed to be chosen for the device based on Android standards for the resolution (number of pixels), the size and the shape of the screen. DPI cannot exceed the physical limits, either. If there are only 240 pixels in a square inch, well, then DPI cannot be greater than 240. But I doubt DPI is set to maximum out of the box.

The bottom line is this: I barely understand this stuff, and I'm not confident about what I think I know. :) The point I was making originally is that changing DPI does not change resolution, and I tried to explain why decreasing resolution causes images to appear bigger and decreasing DPI, images appear smaller. When you change DPI, you're changing how many dots are in an inch. When you do that, if you're not changing the size or density of the dots, the "inch" changes in size. An inch no longer equals an inch. And that, my friend, hurts my head. :)

EdmundDantes and RickAgresta like this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

That's my understanding too, so how did Hook improve his screen res.? The only way would be if the standard set-up out of the box is not the maximum resolution. I'm not doubting it works (the photos show it does); but it does confuse me.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.