KitKat Android Version 4.4.4 on a Samsung Galaxy Player 5

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Hook, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Thanks, Jig. That's the first time I've seen a clear explanation (which is not the same thing as saying no one has give me a clear explanation before :vbrolleyes: ). So why isn't that PPI. Oh, wait, I'm still confused. :vbwink:

I think I'll stop worrying and enjoy my new screen real estate. :vbgrin:

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Of course you're confused: printers print dots (DPI) and screens have pixels (PPI). So, why does Android use dots? I think it's because android apps have to deal with so many different devices with varying numbers of pixels and screen sizes. You could have a high resolution screen (lots of pixels) with low pixel density (the darn screen is HUGE and the pixels are small) or a low resolution screen with high pixel density (tiny screen where the pixels are packed close together).

Android wants to be able to "print" objects the same size on every device. For example, they want icons on all Android devices to be the same size to give all Android users a good experience. Use your desk ruler to measure the size of a standard icon on your tablet and you should find it's the same size on your phone. Developers simply tell their apps the how big an object should be, and Android figures out how to display it that way. Back to my previous example, if the developer says "print a 1" square on the screen," Android looks at the DPI and decides on one device that 240 DPI = 1" and on another device 200 DPI = 1". However, since your Galaxy Player is living in an alternate universe, 1" does not equal 1".

So why doesn't your Windows PC use DPI? Um....sorry, your time's up. ;)

3. Hook

That line about the icon being the same size on phone and tablet isn't true, but I wouldn't expect the same size icon on both my 4.95 " Nexus 5 screen and my 10.5" TAB S screen. On the former at default dpi, icons are 0.25 inces while on the later they are about 0.50" I'm guessing they go for something like proportionally the same size , so that the differences on my Nexus 7 would be less (too lazy to walk upstairs and check :vbwink:).

jigwashere likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Voice of experience speaking...
    if you decide to try the texdroid_dpi app, do some research first, on what dpi's your device supports. I didn't, and got into a 'gee, you're borked now!' loop...which I got out of by (accidentally) deleting my system files, and then installing an alternate ROM. Evidently, just because it's a small change numerically doesn't mean the device won't choke on it (explanation provided by Hook, privately, using the video settings analogy for a PC -- if not supported, not displayed for a reason)

Hook and jigwashere like this.
  5. jigwashere

My explanations are gross oversimplifications of things I don't understand and therefore should be accepted as gospel. If it's good enough for Trump. . . .

raspabalsa, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  6. Hook

The other thing to be aware or is that, unless you have a multi-dpi playstore (available in some gapps for installing with alternate ROMs), the play store may either not work or will suddenly make some apps not available to your device. You may not care about the apps that aren't made available, but just be aware.

I was amazed that I found answers for both (dpis that work and wouldn't affect the play store) for the Galaxy Player on XDA. That makes it easy. (I'm not sure if the Carbon ROM comes with a multi-dpi Play Store. It might).

Mi An, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Good explanation Jig; but how does this software change the physical size of a pixel? Isn't that fixed by the hardware?

Hook, nice comparison; but I don't see how the dock changes much. Same 7 icons, just a bit smaller?

Hook likes this.
  8. Hook

Exactly. I just (personally) find it more aesthetic to not have the icons all jammed together. :vbsmile:

scjjtt likes this.
  9. jigwashere

Maximum resolution settings, I assume, means 1 virtual pixel = 1 physical pixel. When you lower screen resolution through system settings, you're "stretching" a virtual pixel across one or more physical pixels.

I don't think there's any real difference between a virtual pixel and a virtual dot. They both use multiple physical pixels to do the same thing. But when systems and applications try to work together to display images the way the developer intended, Android needs to understand how to scale images based on defined parameters or standards, like DPI.

Mi An and Hook like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I stopped asking this question a long time ago and simply accepted that 240 means larger pixels -> ugly, 200 means smaller pixels -> nice

But, yes, jig's the best explanation I've read so far regarding this. Not any more understandable than any other, but nice nonetheless :newpalm: