Kindle in Italy & Croatia

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by ward.smith, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

I will be traveling in Italy and Croatia for a month in August and September and am wondering if the AT&T network for the Kindle 2 works there for downloading books. I was in Fiji recently and it did not work yet cell phones with AT&T did work. There were 3 other folks with Kindles in Fiji and none of us could download books on the AT&T network. I will have enough books loaded for my upcoming trip but I want to use the browser for GMail occasionally.

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

According to their coverage map, Italy looks good, Croatia looks like no service.

3. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Thanks. I didn't know that that map existed.

4. ward.smith

ward.smith OldSurfDog

Update.
    I am writing this on my Kindle in Croatia on the island of Hvar. It turns out that the Kindle works everywhere I went in Croatia and Italy. I was not able to use it in Bosnia. Gmail is klunky on the Kindle but it does work. Wifi is almost nonexistant and when I found it it cost as much as $10 per hour. My iPod Touch has been virtually useless. I am glad I did not have an iPad. At least on the Kindle the network is free.

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Glad it is working mostly well for you!

I think where it doesn't work is a combo of issues: either Amazon and AT&T don't have an agreement with respect to AT&T subsidizing the additional roaming cost, and/or there's copyright issues with access to publications in certain countries (remember, in the brave new insane world of ebooks, your physical presence, not just the physical presence of the publisher, determines copyright and sales availability. that's why a UK based customer can order a physical copy of a book from the USA but may not be able to order the ebook. No, it doesn't make sense.)

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

:mad: I am NOT dying in envy.

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I expect that this is a big reason to visit. :) Care to change your evaluation? ;)

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks Lelisa, now I hate ward.smith too. [JOKING]

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

hal, most of what I know about Croatia is what I've seen on the news in the context of war and suffering over the years. I have neighbors who fled the area to come here with their children. I thought that might have been the reason behind your unhappy post. ---> :mad:

Did you already know what a lovely place he's visiting and I missed the joke because I was uninformed? :eek: LISS ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  10. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

<It is indeed time I attend an English Written Composition course. I'm not getting across the language gap. My bad.>

Actually, I'm jealous of the surf dog. I didn't mean to recall on the war years in Croatia. What I know is that Croatia is now enjoying a much better era. From the view of my desk and an ustable pile of papers, I am openly jealous. But of course I say it playfully :D Hating the surf dog just like Varjak [JOKING]. Oh, ward, you're gonna have a beer and say cheers for me :D Sorry, Lauren, I gotta be a bit more clear. I wished to post "not dying in envy", in a goofy denial of what is actually EATING me from the inside :D

For one, Croatia has beautiful beaches, and lots of tourist pots. For other (AHEM), yes I'm such a macho POS, the girls are gorgeous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.