Keyboards

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by LandSurveyor, Aug 4, 2011.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Thanks Radon, didn't realize that!

Actually, using the Gingerbread keyboard for a bit led me back to FlexT9, which I really liked... :)

2. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Hook, first I never said "NO ONE" said that, only that was the general opinion I've seen, and not just on BH. It's even true of people I know who've given up BB's for iPhones, etc. Most find the BB keyboards (except for the Pearl), to be superior in most ways.

I'm not sure if your favoring the on-screen portrait keyboard is about how easy it is to actually type on or how much space it takes up of the screen (or maybe both). The space issue is the one that concerns me more. I figure I could acclimate to an on-screen keyboard well enough; but if it takes up too much space, that's hard to solve.

Jig, I seem to recall a discussion on BH (probably in the HP 210 area) that described both Transcriber and another similar on-screen writing input method. Both legacies of Windows Mobile. I forget the differences between them though. Some preferred one over the other for various reasons.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Block Recognizer is similar to Palm Grafitti, Letter Recognizer, from what I read, "imitates the act of printing letters," and Transcriber. Transcriber recognizes either printed or cursive handwriting.

Here's another description:

Block Recognizer—Use a single stroke to write letters, numbers, and punctuation, which Block Recognizer converts into typed text.

Letter Recognizer—Write individual letters, numbers, and punctuation, which Letter Recognizer converts into typed text.

Transcriber—Write letters, numbers, and punctuation in cursive, print, or a combination of both, which Transcriber converts into typed text.

4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Now that you mention it, it has Transcriber and it also has Block Recognizer, which, as far as I can tell, is a dead ripoff of Grafitti. It's more sensitive than the screen on my Axim so I may be able to use it faster than "toothpick typing."

Thanks for bringing that up. :)

From some of the above comments, it's obvious that some have entered LOTS of text via onscreen keyboard and since the iPhone, at least, doesn't have world's biggest screen, it can indeed work well.

I guess that, given quality devices, it's just a matter of individual preference. :cool:

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I'm thinking of another one-word program. I remember, because I spent too much time trying to differentiate b/t Transcriber and the other program, which seemed so similar. I'd search for it; but the BH search engine is so haphazard it would take too long.

6. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I'm in training using my Sensation onscreen keyboard in landscape, it's not pretty to watch, but seems to have cut down mis-hits a bit because of the bigger keys, almost has no screen left except a little thin sliver at the top, which is one reason I don't try anything long on it.

I don't like Block recognizer on winmo much, preferred transcriber, but you have to keep using regularly to stay efficient with it.

7. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I'm trying out a free ICS keyboard from the market, it has cut down my typing mistakes on the narrow 16:9 sensation screen to pretty much zero, amazing really....and well pleased :)

8. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Trying it myself, and I agree-- not bad. I had pretty good luck with the Gingerbread keyboard, but this seems to be more accurate. Can't figure out why, though... it doesn't seem all that different. The blue theme is nice.

9. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Free ICS keyboard?

10. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

11. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

The one problem I seem to have is it isn't giving me a capital letter to begin sentences. Weird. Everything else about it is pretty nice.

12. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

I just noticed this now Hook, doesn't seem to do it often for me so I'll gladly accept it for the transformed typing accuracy, will hopefully be fixed in a newer version maybe, can't say I'm chomping at the bit to get anything else ICS offers from watching a few Nexus reviews.

13. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

I tried it, and I don't see a lot of difference between the ICS keyboard and the stock Froyo keyboard. I think I'll continue to use SwiftKeyX. It's by far the best I've tried.

14. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

Until now, I really liked the Gingerbread keyboard, but this ICS keyboard seems to improve the accuracy even more. I do typing in portrait if that tells you anything.