Just purchased a Palm TX

Discussion in 'Palm' started by justinluck, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justinluck

justinluck Mobile Enthusiast

Hey guys,

This is my very first PDA of any type, so I am probably easy to please, but WOW, this thing just screams quality. When the screen turned on for the first time, I was instantly blown away by the picture quality on the LCD screen and the responsiveness with the stylus. I have never used a Palm before, so I don't have any frame of reference, but this is much better than I had ever expected after reading so many reviews.

My biggest fear is that Palm thinks we all want smart phones now, but that is definitely not the case, at least for me. I would never want to purchase a Smartphone for many reasons. For one, I like to keep my cellphone with me at all times, but not necessarily a PDA. And because I keep my cell phone physically on me at all times, I want it small and compact to fit on my belt or my pocket. The Motorola RAZR V3 fits my needs perfectly.

But, for a PDA, I want a large, high resolution screen without any keypad. That is what the stylus and bluetooth keyboards are for.

Sure Smartphones have their place in the market for people that needs all functions in one device, but I just want Palm to know that this is not the desire for their entire customer base.

I really do hope they keep updating the Palm line. But seeing new Treos and no new Palms this year scares me. So that is why I bring this up.

Remember that I am a complete newbie when it comes to PDAs, but why is PalmSource a separate entity from Palm? And why did OS 6 (Cobalt) never see the light of day? And why do I read in many reviews that WM 5.0 is processor inefficient compared to PalmOS 5, but here people say WM 5.0 is better? I understand that PalmOS 5.0 can't multitask like Windows Mobile, but isn't it true that Windows Mobile requires a faster processor and more memory to complete the same type of functions and hence causes shorter battery life? Sorry for all these questions. I have been reading these forums up and down the past few days and really want to understand this better! :)

2. tmac

tmac Mobile Deity

Hey justinluck! Welcome to Brighthand!!!

I can't answer your questions regarding WM, or even why Palmsource is seperate of Palm (though I could speculate) - but, I'm sure other folks will chime in soon to enlighten you.

I love my TX and am also against going the smartphone route - sharing your concern that the PDA is in danger of extinction. I want my phone and PDA to be separate devices, dang it!

Hopefully, you'll LOVE your new device. You'll learn lots here and the folks are great, so no worries about you loving Brighthand.

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Welcome to Brighthand!

Ok, let's see:

1) It's totally ok to not want a smartphone. Even if Palm stopped making handhelds, there's a strong and healthy secondary market, and you'd be able to find one somehow.
    2) Palmsource spun off for some crazy business reasons (someone else will have to fill in the backstory there) and then was acquired by Access. So now the new palm os will be Access Linux Palm OS.
    3) Cobalt was apparently horrifically unstable and not fit for use on devices, so the licensees dropped it, then dropped Palm OS. Again, that's a very brief nutshell, there are others who can explain better what happened.
    4) WM5 can sometimes be a bit more of a battery hog, but that depends on a lot of factors; the useage pattern, screen brightness, wireless use, etc. It varies greatly; some devices have short battery lives, and some (T-Mobile Dash comes to mind) that have gotten rave reviews for outstanding battery life.

Hope this answers a few of your questions, and I hope others are able to assist in filling in where I am ignorant!

4. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

As a sweeping generalization... Palmsource split from Palm because the original vision was to licence the Palm OS to many third-party manufacturers, including the high-visibility and powerful Sony. Then Sony decided to pull out of the handheld market in 2004 which rather upset the applecart. Oh, and some people probably got rich at some point. They usually do. ;)

Welcome to Brighthand, Justinluck. Hope you enjoy your new TX.

5. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

PalmSource was spun off from Palm partly because of pressure from other companies (licensees and potential licensees) who felt that licensees were at a disadvantage with Palm owning the OS and selling hardware. For comparison: until this year, Microsoft has never put their name on any hardware (we'll have to see how well the Zune is received) and Apple operates an entirely closed system, without licensees.

Nobody licensed Cobalt; it was never really finished. PalmSource's attention then turned to creating PalmOS on a Linux kernel. Shortly thereafter they were acquired by Access, who are working on an entirely new OS called ALP for Access Linux Platform. It will have a compatibility layer called GHost (for Garnet Host). They released an Application Framework to developers this week so hopefully it will be licensed and products running ALP will be available from some hardware manufacturers later next year.

There have been a rumor or two about future Palm handhelds; we'll have to be patient and see if they pan out.

Non-phone devices are "not popular" these days as many businesses (and business partners) are very interested in ongoing revenue streams, particularly from rental of media and ancillary services (such as data plans for email, web, SMS, MMS, TV, etc.). Thus you see tremendous phone inventories in big box stores.

6. dogbarber

dogbarber No one in particular...

Welcome to BH justinluck! For a newbie, you are very educated and well versed in this technology....good for you!!! :)

7. justinluck

justinluck Mobile Enthusiast

Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome! I really do appreciate the time you guys took to answer some of my questions. Over the next few days, hopefully I can become more familiar with the device and update what I think of the product to any other people considering a purchase. And I really do hope Palm continues with this worthwhile line.

8. Guatiao

Guatiao Pepsi Addict

After a little bit more than a year after the T|X release, another happy camper!! Welcome to the T|X!!!

9. Jakub

Jakub Mobile Consultant

I got my TX about 2 months ago and my gosh I love it!

Just its power to organize alone is great, I mean, numbers, address’s appointments at the touch of a button on this slick device, great!

But wait there’s more!

Music, movies, pictures, wifi, Bluetooth, well the list goes on.

I would recommend this device to anyone. I am a gear nut, I always scrutinize and test everything and in the PDA world, the TX stands out as being top of the line.

I also totally agree with you guys on the smart phone thing.

I need to have my phone with me everywhere, need it to be small and tuff. And I need it to be a phone, nothing else, sometimes, simplicity is best.

But when I take out my TX, it never fails to impress and I love it.

Long live the TX

Cheers

Jake

10. rrfranczak3

rrfranczak3 Very Old Senior Member

I am jealous, my T|X's screen cracked and now I am back to my T|E, boy do I miss my T|X..........Rich :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.