Just ordered the Touch

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by mgm1979, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgm1979

mgm1979 Mobile Enthusiast

Should have it by the end of the week - $480 shipped w/ 2yr warranty, not bad - I think. Still debating the 3yr extended warranty through Square Trade - $46...anyone with any experience (re: the Touch and/or Square Trade?)

I'll see about posting my own thoughts/opinions - after I use it for a couple weeks...reviews from/by people who make it their living to review products is one thing, but I always try to look for reviews from the "average Joe".

2. mgm1979

So, I finally got my hands on this thing...first impressions, as we've all seen and heard, is VERY impressive.

For those who already have this thing, is there a way to edit the programs/buttons on the "special" HTC menu??? Particularly, the program launcher screen with Email, IE, Comm Mgr, SMS/MMS, Tasks, Calendar - I'd like to swap out the SMS/MMS and Calendar buttons for starters...anyone?

3. mdlsimpson

mdlsimpson Mobile Evangelist

Not sure how to do that either but I am also ordering a Touch... love the size/form factor and the interface... plus I miss the touchscreen features on my phone... (Motorola Q)... I can input faster using a stylus than using a keyboard... If I discover the answer... I'll post it.....

4. mgm1979

I've come across some useful info, but haven't tried any of it yet...
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=313083

There's a thread too with the iPhone icons in Photoshop format to use to swap out - I will definitely be playing with some of that in the near future.

That whole site is actually pretty informative, a lot of people who know what they're doing over there.

Oh, and I absolutely LOVE this phone so far...so much to learn/play with still though.

5. MaplewoodOne

MaplewoodOne Newbie

I'd buy it tomorrow but have to wait and hope that Verizon picks it up.

How do you find the screen with a spreadsheet? Is it still better than nothing or hardly even that?

I'm sure the TouchFlo is neat but how functional is it? Does it make it any faster to work with or is it just an interesting new technology?

How easy is it to make a phone call that is NOT on your speed dial list or on your Contacts list?

I think most of us who don't have the Touch don't have the Touch (and we're jealous)!

6. raptor13

raptor13 Mobile Deity

I've just recently started reading about the touch, and it does look like a pretty nice phone. I love the size when I saw a comparison shot with the blackjack, it is much smaller than it appears when I have seen it just by itself.

Anyways I noticed it is a tri-band phone -- I believe 900/1800/1900. It does not have 850 band. How would this work on the AT&T network in the USA or does it depend on the area?

Thanks.

Mike

7. raptor13

raptor13 Mobile Deity

8. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Well, that's not really an answer. The truth is, if you get one of the current Touch models, you'll be losing out on a bunch of AT&T coverage. How much and where depends on your location. For instance, there are places like Phoenix where all the coverage is 1900, where you'd get all advertised coverage. At the same time, there are other places (like my area, for instance) where there's only 850, and a Touch would be useless. You might want to look at your zip code on WirelessAdvisor.com to get an idea what bands your local AT&T coverage is using.

I don't know if HTC ever followed though on the idea of releasing a quad-band touch, or if anybody like the XDA-Devs crowd managed to hack support into it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.