Just clicked a link in an email....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Jun 29, 2017.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I just got an email ostensibly from Amazon.com that my order was cancelled. I clicked the order link for more information and got pushed to some evil site. The email was actually from order-update@amazonupholster.com.I'm not sure if any damage was done, but am nervous.

The domain for the link is .by (Belarus).
    I ran Malwarebytes, ccleaner and panda antivirus.
    I don't see anything is task manager that's unusual.
    I haven't rebooted, yet.
    :mad:

RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

jig, buddy, you know to always go to Amazon and login to see what's up with your stuffs. I always hover cursor over the email address to see who it's really from. Infuriatingly, I see these in my Spam filters all the time. Blanketty-blank scammer pond scum. :vbmad: I'm even suspicious of legit Amazon emails (which I've been getting a lot of lately because I've been shopping - a lot! :vboops: :vbsmile: )

I hope you're okay. :thumbsup:

r0k, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. r0k

r0k Dazed

Jig,

Could you increase the credit limit on the card you've been using on Amazon? I tried to buy a Gulfstream but it was declined.

Thanks, Belarus Boris.
    :D

4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

On the upside, you can tell everyone off by email now, and later just be like "Oh, I'm so sorry I got hacked! Don't click any links from me!" So long as you use broken English, it could be believable.

On the downside, I'd err on the side of formatting and starting over. I may be over-reacting, but exploits just aren't as simple as they used to be. Maybe they mostly wanted to steal your login info, but if the site loaded, there's no telling what it left behind. Remember the good ole days when you could block flash and be like 99% safe? And even if you let an element run, it was sandboxed? Good times.

Good luck (the 'like' above is meant to be supportive, not schadenfreude)

r0k, raspabalsa, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

I'm usually so careful. I just let my guard down, I guess. Grrrrr.....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Poor jig.

*NetB buys 100 Samsung Series 9 laptops with jig's credit card*

r0k, raspabalsa, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

You're a good friend.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

raspabalsa, NetBrakr, r0k and 3 others like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I get those emails, too…hope nothing worse than internet friends giving you grief happens. sigh real-life has enough adventure w/out adding to it

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  9. wozofoz

wozofoz Ab Fab Tab

:vbeek: Hope all is ok :newpalm:
    If you are worried about your Contacts list being stolen, you could use a second email account (if you have one) or a friend's account to notify your Contacts that you will NOT be sending them a link to click on
    You should be able to contact your email provider and ask them to check your account for any copying of Contacts list etc
    Check your Sent folder to see if any emails have been sent to your Contacts from your account

As for the computer did you get a copy of Macrium Reflect Free ?
    General Windows 10 thread

Edit: After posting this I checked my Yahoo email and there was an email from my sister in my Inbox, I am expecting one so I almost clicked on it but then hovered over the name and saw it was actually from carrasco@......
    Yahoo has been very good at filtering out Spam lately but this one fooled them and almost fooled me

All the best, woz of oz

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    r0k, Hook, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

jig went silent after his previous post on Thursday... I hope this doesn't mean he's on some unwanted real-life adventure, like chasing NetB and his laptops (can I have one of those, please?) :D

I've been getting some unsual amount of spam emails lately. What baffles me is that some genuine-looking email from my bank has been sent to the spam folder too. I prefer to err on the caution side and ignore them all. Hope no harm was done to your computer and data, jig.

r0k, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.