jornada 680 connecting to win7

Discussion in 'Handheld PCs' started by jboy012000, Nov 25, 2011.

1. jboy012000

jboy012000 Newbie

Hi All,

Im struggling with my jornada 680, I got a docking station connected to my laptop but I dont seem to be getting anywhere, the instruction manual is a bit cack, can anyone give me some clear instructions on how to connect my jornada 680 to my laptop which runs win 7.

Thanks

John

2. r0k

r0k Dazed

Welcome to Brighthand, jboy012000!

I seem to recall Win 7 comes with some sort of different software for connecting to Windows Mobile / Pocket PC so you can't install Activesync and expect to get anywhere. If you can find a PCMCIA wifi or ethernet card, you might be able to connect to the 680 via the network.

A few seconds spent with google led me to this...

3. jboy012000

jboy012000 Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I agree, to be honest if I could connect to my router via a wifi card I could do whatever I want through the internet, download my e-mails run updates and so on.

I dont suppose I could be cheaky and ask if you could recommend a pcmcia wifi card for my 680.

I am currently looking at some on ebay but not really sure which is compantable.

Thanks

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

Sorry I can't help with that. It's been so long since I saw a PCMCIA wifi card I wouldn't dare recommend one. It could be that the only way to get the drivers for the card onto the Jordana is by activesync so you have to be careful which card you pick. If you have an old pc lying around, perhaps it's worth putting win xp or even 2k on the thing so you can install activesync to get your Jordana set up properly.

5. jboy012000

jboy012000 Newbie

My dad had a pcmcia wireless card but it is 32 bit and I have read that the 680 only accepts 16 bit, I tried the card any way but no luck.

I have got a serial cable on the way, with any luck I will be able to link up my Jornada to my win7 laptop with that, it's a shame the Jornada 680 is old tech, because its just brilliant, far better than any other PDA I have had before.

I will post how I get on.

Thanks again

John

6. jboy012000

jboy012000 Newbie

Well, looks like it's simply not possible to connect my 680 to my win7 laptop, even with the sync cable it's not happy.

Never mind, just means that my 680 will always be a stand alone hand held computer, which is a shame because like I said in my last post it's a great little machine.

Thanks for everyones help.

John