Jeopardy - WATSON

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NetBrakr, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hey all,

How many saw Jeopardy yesterday and today?

I think it is awesome to have a computer challenge humans.

Through Watson didn't do well yesterday game. :\

Today, Watson did much better.

What do guys think about Watson so far.

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

I have only watched Mondays show (Tuesday's was DVR by my bride) and it is interesting the amount of talent that has been dedicated to program a electronic box (s) to emulate the human brain/thought process.

It only demonstrates the real power we each have between the ears, and also humbles us that we rarely tap it during a lifetime.

An interview with Jennings, he indicated the secret of Jeopardy was all in the pressing the button, that most if not all contestants know most if not all the answers, the faster thumb wins. (paraphrasing)

What I found interesting watching the first episode, was that when Watson had control, he randomly selected categories, instead has many of the human contestants, will continue a category from top to bottom, occasionally jumping into the middle. The is the real advantage that Watson may have, able to answer random selections without the need to work a pattern that develops for the category.

It will be interesting if future contestants may employ the same logic going forward to control the game.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I was enraptured. I was, however, SHOCKED that on day 1, it repeated the previously given wrong answer (that should have been a simple fix); and that it thought Toronto was a 'U.S. City.'

Am waiting with baited breath for tonight's finale.

4. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Watson seemed able to "ring in" more quickly than the humans. I'm sure the guys knew a lot more of the answers than the scores suggest but couldn't beat Watson with the button. I wonder what signals Watson that Alex is done talking and "he" can ring in, and if that's maybe an unfair advantage.

Watson also repeated one of the humans' incorrect answers, which I thought was weird. No way to determine if "his" answer was already (incorrectly) used?

5. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Guys, please note that Watson cannot hear, so that's why Watson gave the same wrong answer. I am pretty sure the people are working on this problem.

Be positive, Guys. There are bugs to fix, you know. :)

6. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I agree NetB; but you'd have thought that they might have twigged to that obvious factor and allowed for Watson to absorb incorrect answers. It does absorb other info.

Tom, check out the Times article today. Ken Jennings said that he thought Watson was good with the buzzer; but not unbeatable and it wasn't unfair. It also explains that Watson varied 'his' buzzer responses with the degree of certainty in the answer. It actually looked to 'sandbag' its competitors by hesitating on tough questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.