I've Moved! On, that is...

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by JRakes, Nov 15, 2015.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I've got nothing on the apps front-but it's great to hear from you, JRakes!

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I use the Real Calc, also listed on that page

EDIT: I've had no problems with DocToGo, but other than as a reader, or note maker, for Word, I really only use their spreadsheet, for simple calcs, like hours worked…and the original sheet came over from a pc

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    JRakes likes this.
  3. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Thanks, QF! Very nice to hear from you, as well!

Hey, why didn't that HP48 app show up when I searched?!? :confused: That's exactly what I wanted to find - Thanks! I've had Free42 on POS & WinMo and Emu48 on my PC for years. They actually run off a ROM dump binary image file from an HP48 calculator. :D

That RealCalc looks good, as well - A big plus for me is the RPN mode. Being an engineer-gear-head that's what I've used for decades and I struggle with an algebraic calculator with that pesky "=" button... ;)

And yes, the Softmaker "Office" apps are very well done with high functionality. Having also used them for years on POS & WinMo I've found a nice, smooth transition to the Android version - They've kept plenty of similarity.

Hook, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  4. JRakes

Thanks again, Hook - That Droid48 is exactly what I wanted - It's perfect!

Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  5. JRakes

And the progress continues! The Calc app Hook pointed out is exactly what I wanted, as mentioned before, and I've gotten migrated from HandyShopper to ToMarket. There is a conversion utility for HS > TM, although I never got it to work. I did, however, use the old HS Convert spreadsheet utility to export my HS db's to .csv files, did the same w/ the TM app for the default / example db so I could see the structure, then did a LOT of copying & pasting to get my HS data into the TM db in the correct structure and syntax. It really wasn't difficult, just a bit tedious. Then I imported the updated csv file into TM and, voila! IT's all there. Made a few general app settings adjustments and I think I'm all set.

The biggest gap at this point is a good banking / checkbook app, so I'm still looking for suggestions on that front.

All in all, I'm really liking this device - It's been a good move! And, of course, it's all 'with a little help from my friends!' :)

6. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

I don't use a banking/checkbook app (which may explain the state of my finances :vbrolleyes:). I just use my bank's app to track things in the short run and do transfers and such. Long ago, I used Quicken and Splash Money, but found that it just required more work than I was willing to give it. Splash never embraced Android development and Quicken for Android gets terrible reviews.

This app gets high ratings and can import Microsoft Money files. It doesn't say anything about exporting to a file, but you could email the developer. It offers a 7 day money back guarantee from the developer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zvasvari.anmoneyp&hl=en

Again, not something I've used, so I can't vouch for it.

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

We use Quicken - it's better than what it use to be, but I miss the Palm OS version. Today's Quicken does everything for you. In other words, Quicken fills in for you what your purchases are because it is connected to ''The Cloud.'' That's fine, especially if it is a repeated purchase & it goes into the right category. But what happens if your first purchase at Walmart is for groceries & you click on food for a category - well the next time you go to Walmart to buy that flat screen it will categorize that purchase as food - until you go in & change it.

With Quicken on Palm OS I would pull out my Palm at the checkout (that would impress people back in 1998) & enter & categorize the purchase right then & there. Every morning I would sync & Quicken was updated. Today, I never go back into Quicken on my phone or computer, to adjusts purchases - which doesn't make Mrs scjjtt happy - & you know how that goes!

Quicken is powerful - I was just better at entering info at the time of transaction & then forgetting about it - until Mrs scjjtt is interrogating me on that new electronic purchase.

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I did use a banking/checkbook app: Adarian Money, yet another PalmOS -> Android case where I rushed into a purchase. The app itself was quite good, but the Windows app not so much, and eventually I moved onto an Excel spreadhseet for my meager controls of my equally meager finances :D. As Hook said above, I think it's too much work to keep a finance app updated. I just checked, and this app is no longer developed or supported, although download links are available here. Don't know what the licensing status is, though.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

Nice to hear Quicken works well (Using DJO, I understand that big complex programs that take time to learn often ger more than their fair shar of negative reviews). How id the desktop sync these days? Does it work well? Is it through the cloud (I assume so)? Is it their own cloud or do they use things like DropBox? Just curious.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

The Desktop syncs perfect. It does sync through the cloud. I'm not sure if it is theirs alone, because your bank info comes into it as well. It was a little scary to see how much info comes in when we gave it some little info on our mortgage. Wow, they had everything immediately. I don't think they use Dropbox - at least we're not using it.

Basically, we have use it to track expenses and to make sure everything that needs to be paid gets paid. Mrs scjjtt uses it the most. I use it to bring things into Turbo Tax when I do our taxes. I really should be using it more and be more involved - but I have about a month and a half before I have to make new year resolutions .

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

jigwashere and Hook like this.