I've Moved! On, that is...

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by JRakes, Nov 15, 2015.

1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Greetings, BH-ers! Sincere hopes that everyone is doing well - Long time since I've posted much. As the saying goes, "Life happens," and the past couple of years have been somewhat "challenging." I've kept up here, however. And most of you probably didn't think I could sit quietly in the corner... :D

At any rate, I've moved on from my trusty TouchPro 2 w/ WinMo 6.5 to a Galaxy S5 (Android v5.1.1 Lollipop.) The TP2 is still quite functional and has had no problems whatsoever. But after almost 5-1/2 years the battery is degraded and doesn't last long at all. To make matters worse (as I posted briefly elsewhere,) I think the battery has swollen and has the back cover jammed - I can NOT get it off. Also, back when I got the phone, PAYG plans (I use AT&T's GoPhone service) were rather scarce - In order to get a higher-end smartphone I had to get the unlocked "international" version of the TP2 which couldn't get 3G data in North America, only 2G / Edge. Those older data channels will likely be cut off in the reasonably foreseeable future. The AT&T CS rep who got me migrated to the S5 said the current plan at AT&T was 3-6 months, then all of the 2G / Edge towers were going offline. 5-1/2 years - That's a long time in the tech world, so it was time for me to move on. Also, having moved summer before last, I only have my mobile phone now - Like many other people, no landline, which I wouldn't use anyway. :vbwink: Additionally, over the past year I've developed some rather serious health issues and must have reliable communication channels at all times. So I've updated / upgraded, OCD cringing at the change all the way...

So now I have (Handy) Andy, the S5. Or, as someone suggested (you know who you are,) it's Andy with candy (Lollipop) so I could call him the CandyMan (along w/ a reference to Tim Curry in RHPS for those who know what that is. HAR! :D ) I'm loving the device and am doing well with the migration to the Android platform. I must give public thanks to a couple of very good friends for their assistance, guidance, helpful suggestions, and PTS (Personal Tech Support.) Hook and Rick Agresta are great friends and have gone above and beyond in answering all of my questions, making this a rather smooth transition, and generally putting up with me - Thanks, Guys! :thumbsup:

I'll have plenty more questions, I'm sure. At this point I'm not interested in rooting or significant mods - I'll get more fully accustomed to the Android platform and environment first. I've got most of the basics covered, including Hook's setup w/ Companion Link and Deja Office to sync PIM data directly via local USB to Outlook. It works wonderfully! In fact, it works better w/ Win8.1 than M$'s own WinMo did... :rolleyes: I've got Planmaker and Textmaker for my Office docs, Adobe Reader for pdf's, the Kindle app for some e-books, and Helium to back stuff up, along with a few other minor utilities and such. It's all working out quite well, so I'm happy with my move.

I am still searching for some replacement apps. I'd really like to find an Android replacement for Ultrasoft Money. I've used USM since the Palm days more than a decade ago to sync w/ M$ Money. I want a true sync, not a tedious export / import, copy / move this and that, run something or other separately, etc type setup.

Of more importance, however, is a replacement for HandyShopper, one of my most used apps. Again, I've used HS for more than a decade on Palm and WinMo devices. Those of you who have used HS know it is much more than a "list app." I can do a list in an OL note. HS is a database oriented app with an enormous number of features and settings. I'm looking for suggestions for a good replacement. There was some effort at one point to develop an Android version of HS but I don't think it came to much fruition. If I've missed something, let me know - I'd LOVE to have an Android version of HS and, unlike HS, it doesn't have to be free. I'm much more interested in the functionality like HS than anything else. A big plus would be a desktop interface. (There was an Excel sheet published as "HSConvert" that essentially served that purpose for HS, albeit a bit unwieldy w/ large lists.)

So... I've moved ahead with my device technology. I debated going to the S6 but, to be honest, I preferred the accommodation of an expansion card and a replaceable battery. Also, not being the absolute latest / greatest now, the S5 was a bit less spendy while providing everything I wanted / needed and more. BTW: I bought it through Amazon (per my post in another thread) where it was significantly less costly than AT&T (for an unlocked purchase) and less than even Wal-Mart's Straight Talk pricing.

I got a leather holster case as well as the OtterBox Defender. The holster accommodates the phone with the OB case on it, so it works out very well and gives me some flexibility for carrying it. I've also found the OB case quite useful for reading (especially books in the Kindle app) by latching the belt clip to the "kickstand" position in landscape orientation. I also found some handy generic stands on Amazon. While it still involves plugging in a charge / sync cable, it allows the device to stand up as though it's in a cradle - Very useful for the night-stand or end table.

Again, here's hoping everyone is doing well - I miss some of the "old-timers" who have dropped away but still enjoy the special community we have here at BH. As the holiday season approaches, perhaps we should turn the BHOT Breakroom (and Broom Closet) back into the happening place it used to be! Who's going to restart some of the games? :D

All the best to everyone - Throw the suggestions and advice at me! And apologies for the lengthy post - Lots of catching up to do!

raspabalsa, scjjtt, Hook and 4 others like this.
  2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Glad I could help. :)

JRakes and RickAgresta like this.
  3. JRakes

Heeheehee... :D

A couple of contenders for shopping lists I've found are rShopping and OurGroceries. Anybody have any experience with either of those, particularly as compared to HS?

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I never got too far along with HandyShopper, so can't offer much in terms of comparisons. I did search for Android databases and came up with Memento Database and HanDBase Database Manager. I don't know anything about either one.

I think spreadsheets have come a long way on Android. I wonder if you'd be able to create a spreadsheet in Excel that included filters and links to various sheets, effectively recreating a pretty sophisticated database.

Good luck with everything! Thanks so much for the update. :newpalm:

raspabalsa, Hook, JRakes and 2 others like this.
  5. JRakes

I'd actually considered working on a spreadsheet or some sort of db if I can't find a suitable replacement app. The two I mentioned above appear to be decent contenders and I've found another, ToMarket, that actually converts existing HS db's. That's a real plus! They all have free versions (small price to get rid of ads or add functionality) so I'll probably play with them through the coming week.

All suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance for the help!

Hook, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

JR - congrats on your new phone. I think you got a winner there. If I had to upgrade - I too would take the S5 over the S6 for the exact same reasons. What's great about your phone is all the support & accessories - which are now at lower prices.

I sure your S5 will serve you well for years to come!

Sent from my S4 using Tapatalk

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Congratulations on your upgrade, Joe. And congratulations to NetB for winning (stealing? ;)) yet another soul for Samsung.

Ive learned (the really hard way) to stay away from Android versions of PalmOS apps. Back when I upgraded from Palm to Android I was happy to see several developers had released Android versions of their apps. Sadly, the Android versions in most cases were lacking several key features and development was slower than on native Android apps. Some even became abandonware. Handbase is one such case. I purchased the Android version only to find it's nowhere near as refined as the PalmOS version from 5 years before. I was very disappointed and ended up uninstalling it. Same with DocsToGo, powerOne calculator, Electrist, etc. I purchased all of them (except maybe powerOne, which I think still has a free version). Now I keep not a single one of them on my phone, instead using apps that have been developed from scratch for Android. Of course, YMMV.

I agree with jig that spreadsheets in Android have reached a point where they're actually useful for complex calculations. However, IMO data input is still the weak point, even for large tablets. I still prefer to create and edit my spreadsheets in my computer, sync them to my phone so I can access them on the road.

JRakes, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  8. JRakes

That latter issue regarding data input is a big issue for me - I simply do NOT like the tiny keyboards (even with Swype or word anticipation, etc) or touch-keyboards. Voice entry is a huge help but one still has to be careful.

I had the same experience w/ half-baked apps moving from Palm to WinMo. I'm not really looking for exact duplicates of Palm or WinMo apps ported to Android, but native apps with similar capabilities - I learned that lesson, myself! One common app that seemed to carry over well is Softmaker (Textmaker and Planmaker for M$ Word and Excel, respectively.) They seem to have been well done and, as far as I can tell, only share the app name from one platform to another.

I suppose I should give up finding an accurate Android emulation of the HP48 calculator, eh? :rolleyes:

scjjtt likes this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Actually, there are more than a few HP and TI calc emulators for Android. I tested a few back when I was looking for a replacement for powerOne Graph (still haven't found one that fully satisfies me). They mostly seemed accurate, but the UIs are not very well-designed IMO. I'm using MathsApp Scientific/Graph, which doesn't try to emulate a real-world calc, but has most of the functions I need. Sadly, it was last updated almost a year ago, and the dev has long since stopped answering emails, so I guess it's dead already. I keep returning to (then deleting, so as to make a nice cycle) Calculator++ by Sergey Solovyev. This calc has a very nice UI and some interesting features, but it has a somewhat odd behavior regarding last calculation and user-defined functions. It's because of these quirks that I eventually get annoyed and delete the app, only to decide I miss some features and install it again. In fact, I'm installing it yet again just now :vboops:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    scjjtt likes this.
  10. Hook

Hook Have keyboard, will travel

You mean like this...?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.ab.x48&hl=en

Yes, Softmaker is a great example of how to do it-- they really rebuilt the apps from scratch for the Android platform.

JRakes and RickAgresta like this.