I've created a monster

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by jigwashere, Jun 25, 2019.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My 16-year old got his first paycheck and is eyeballing the Samsung S10 to replace his Moto G5S Plus. I need help!

headcronie, Mi An, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

That must be some paycheck. :vbwink:

lelisa13p, Mi An, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

jig, tell him to read the fine print, if the $20/month for 18 months ad caught his eye -- it's not an S10 for $360.....and good luck!

Hook, lelisa13p, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm trying to remember what I got with my first paycheck. Back then there were no cellphones (not even dumbphones), PDAs, or other fancy electronic devices. I think I may have purchased a scientific calculator and a Walkman. I remember a brand-new Casio FX-something and shopping for a belt pouch for my Walkman :)

If your son finds any of the "<insert BH'er name her> plans/wants/gets a new phone" threads, then you may as well abandon all hope and just enjoy the big unboxing event. :D

Seriously now, if he really wants a new phone, tell him to look at the OnePlus 7 Pro. I've been eyeballing it really hard this last few weeks, and I find it much more appealing than the S10, and at a much lower price too.

Hook, lelisa13p, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

I don't remember what I bought with my first paycheck, either. My son is working as a lifeguard at the local community center. His check isn't huge, but he has some savings and more paychecks coming, so he's thinking about going big. He's not a fan of the notch, so the OnePlus isn't likely.

headcronie, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. raspabalsa

Ummm... Jig? The Oneplus 7 Pro doesn't have a notch. It has a bottle opener instead. I mean, it has a pop-up selfie camera. The non-Pro does have the notch (and lacks the opener :D)

OnePlus-7-Pro-vs-OnePlus-7.jpg

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

My son sent me this:

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

Is it too late already?

BTW, that camera punch hole looks awful. I think I'd rather have a notched phone than that. Nice toothbrush, though.

9. jigwashere

OnePlus 7 Pro has no headphone jack, microSD slot and isn't water resistant. He has a gaming headset he uses with his laptop and phone simultaneously: BT to the laptop (game sounds) and wired to his phone (to chat w/his buddy). He can't flip and use BT on the phone and wired to the laptop because of the poorly designed placement of the jack on the laptop. I thought he'd be interested in what I think is a superior camera on the OnePlus 7 Pro, but apparently not.

Maybe I should use the old "go ask your mother" line. That'll shut this down. ;)

10. raspabalsa

Or, we could drag this on and on, comparing specs, pros and cons, and listing reviews, until someone announces an impulse purchase, in true BH fashion. :)

My must-have list of specs is changing as of late. Headphone jack used to be near the top, but I haven't used the wire on my BT headset in the last 6 months, mostly because airlines now allow BT devices during all phases of the flight. Also, I just "discovered" that my Sennheiser Momentum headset can connect and stream from two BT devices simultaneously, so I can keep it connected to my phone and laptop with no wires. I haven't really tested this setup yet, because it's a very recent and accidentally made discovery, but I have listened to music from my phone and videos from my laptop at the same time.

Micro SD also used to be on the top 3 of my specs list. But built-in storage is rapidly increasing in "affordable" flagships such as the OP P7 and Zenfone 6, so the expandable storage is no longer a must for me. The OP P7 with 256GB has more storage than my G6 with its 128GB card, and costs about the same (including the cost of the card).

As for water resistance, I've yet needed to rely on this feature, even though I work in the field, in rainy areas. As a rule if water starts falling from the sky, I run to the nearest shelter and huddle until it stops. The two water-resistant devices I've had (Sony Xperia Z1 and LG G6) have had that feature tested only, not really used. Of course, given the work your son performs, he may have to rely on a water resistance device.

Wonder what will Mrs. jig say. Maybe "go ask your father". That would also allow this discussion to drag on :newpalm:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.