It's Official: No More Palm OS Devices

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

In a speech to investors today, Palm's CEO confirmed something many have suspected: there will be no more new models introduced running the Palm OS.

[​IMG]Instead, the company will focus much its efforts on consumer-oriented smartphones running the webOS, the new platform it unveiled last month. The firstdevice based on this operating system -- the Palm Pre -- will debut exclusively from Sprint in the first half of this year. In addition, it will continue to introduce Windows Mobile-based smartphones for business users.

Ed Colligan also promised that his company is already thinking about the webOS models that will follow the Pre. "We have a robust roadmap; we absolutely have a roadmap of productsover the next few years that you'll see come out that we're very excited about, all based on this newplatform."

Not surprisingly, he declined to reveal any details, but Colligan did say, "We want to create a product line, but...to some sense less is more here. Let's make fewer really break-through, innovative products."

More on Pre Availability, Software, Etc.
    The presentation today was primarily a question-and-answer session, and Palm's CEO was asked when the Pre will be available from carriers besides Sprint. As when he's been asked this question before,he refused to be specific. However, he said that his company is working with carriers in Europe, Latin America, and N. America. And he expects additional U.S. licensees in 2010.

Colliganwas also asked if there will be awebOS software store directly on the Pre. He said there will be, and, unlike Apple'sstore for the iPhone, Palm will not make this the exclusive source of webOS applications.

He also repeated something his company has said before: the webOS will not be licensed to other companies. For the foreseeable future, it will be exclusivelyavailable only on Palm's products

Colligan was speaking at the Thomas Weisel Partners Technology, Telecom & Internet Conference in San Francisco.

An Overview ofthe Palm Pre
    The Palm Pre will be the first device to use Palm's just-announced webOS. This will have a strong focus on the Web and be able to synchronize data with online services like Google and Facebook.

The Prewill feature a sliding keyboard as well as a multitouch-capable 3.1-inch display. This device will also be equipped with 8 GB of onboard storage, Wi-Fi b/g, Bluetooth 2.1, and a 3.0 megapixel camera with LED flash.

As mentioned earlier, it will be available first from the U.S. carrier Sprint, who will add EV-DO Rev. A.

Source: Palm

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Sic transit gloria mundi.

3. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

That could be taken a few ways. One, economics. It would make for a solid plan for Palm to swing fewer times and make more contact. They don't exactly have the same war chest as their competitors.

Two. It could mean that Palm might be using "innovation" as its calling card. Making every device "Palm in genetics" but innovative for its respective marketing audience. Would be a signifiant play towards niche markets, but probably the one where Palm could have the most success and longest lasting sustainability.

Garnet being put out to pasture before the Pre is in consumers' hands is interesting. Not so much from the flack that Palm will get about it, but because its almost like Garnet will be playing in limbo even more than it has before. And how will knowledgeable Centro owners feel about that? It could damper customer confidence no matter what device comes next from Palm.

These are indeed some interesting times.

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I think Palm learned from it's experiences with the Centro, and Apple's with the iPhone. Instead of making 3 or 4 models with differing feature sets, they are going to make one. If that model is good enough, you're successful.

The main advantage of this strategy is it allows the company to concentrate all its efforts onto that one device. The disadvantage is that Palm won't be able to depend on a variety of shapes and sizes in devices to raise customer appeal. The one device had better be able to appeal to a variety of consumers. Apple showed this is possible.
    -

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

The real news in the news, is that it's official. It had been mentioned, speculated, and discussed. Now it's announced. So, it's official, it's the end of an era. I am not very happy, but it had to end someday. And it is important to look into the future.

I'll save my considerations about Garnet OS for the threads already alive on the topic. Now, the topic is no Garnet, only WebOS, and few devices. As you said, Apple showed that a slim catalog can be a robust source of business, as long as the customer is satisfied. I bet Palm can do it too.

6. Antoine Wright

Antoine Wright Neighborhood Mobilist Super Moderator

One does have to wonder what such a statement does to Access's shareholders in respect to the work that has happened with ALP. With Palm now official on this, and there still very few tangable ALP products, one has to look at Access and ask "ok now what are you going to do" and "why hadn't you done it sooner?"

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I think that all depends on whether anyone actually believes ALP will produce anything beyond a lot of hot air. :D

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Oh, come on, QF, let hope be the last thing to die. Or at least let some of us dream... :(

9. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Farewell Garnet, you served us well (and still do !).

As far as ALP is concerned, I am with QF.

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

I'm still a Palm "fan" but I'm pulling for them from the sidelines. I have a BB 8830 and a non-chargeable TX. I'm looking at getting an iPod touch to fill my PDA needs. I'm also considering iPhone. But I have no desire to move back to a Garnet device now that I've experienced the reliability of BB OS. I really am interested in resurrecting my TX but I can't seem to find the time. Since I've already sidelined Garnet in my own usage, if this decision means we get Pre sooner then I'm all for it.

If the wait for Pre drags on and on, then this decision only serves to alienate Garnet users before the Pre is really quite ready. Oops. Palm still hasn't addressed a straightforward path from Garnet to webOS, except with a one-line hint on their Mojo page. And they've taken down the comments on their Mojo blog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.