It's BAAACK!

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Adama D. Brown, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

I have a terrible confession, forgive me: my once-much-beloved Axim hasn't been turned on for about 6 months or so. It is, in fact, covered with dust (top shelf near the stupid birdcage, the only dusty part of my home). I had once even contemplated selling it, though not until a better PDA was available. The iPAQ21X is not - in my opinion - that better PDA ... and now so much time has passed that maybe I've found other devices suit me better, perhaps won't buy another PDA ever again.

Odd, I've come across what seems like a disproportionate number of dead HDDs myself, lately. They just don't build 'em like they used to.

So ...

Whatcha gonna do now with your Axim, Adama?

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

For the moment, I'm still slowly refurbishing it. I wiped all the apps when I hard reset, of course, and I'm taking the opportunity to look at some updated apps that I haven't checked out in awhile.

3. Konrad Pierce

I'm of the opinion that the Kozura WM5K17 or Football WM6A04 ROMs were probably the best available. Dell's WM5A12 doesn't support SDHC and is kinda buggy, and both WM6.1 betas seemed a little sluggish and buggish to me during my brief use of them.

4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I'd have to check, but I think that I'm on Football WM6 either A02 or A03. I've heard some good things about Lennysh's WM6.1, but I'm not really interested enough to bother reflashing the thing, since 6.1 is so minor for Classic and Pro devices.

5. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

It's so true. My latest bane has been "the printer that always works fine unless it's five minutes before a meeting."

My lifetime bane has been "PDA's with persistant memory". Whether it's been my 3 Palm TX's, or my 2 Axim x50v's, I have had an awful amount of trouble. It's like something is trying to keep me in 2004...

6. Girt

Girt Gadgeteer

Konrad, I think you're probably the one I should be talking to, as you seem pretty objective. Over on Aximsite, they all seem to think the latest is the greatest, and it seems to be hard to find out what actually ... works.

7. Konrad Pierce

I had the earliest 6.1 betas I could get my hands on. From what I've heard they've improved a bit since then. They might be really good - I wouldn't know.

My view is that each successive version adds more bloat, gets a teeny bit less responsive, more sluggish, less "quick". All in exchange for features that I don't actually use. Even those that I do choose to use I often replace with better third-party offerings. So what's the point in slowing down the OS if you get nothing in return?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.