It's BAAACK!

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Adama D. Brown, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Woo hoo! My Axim X51v had, after a period where I hadn't gotten to use it for awhile, developed an issue with not responding to input from the screen or the buttons. I couldn't even hard reset for some reason. Lacking a way to fix it, I left it alone until I had a thought tonight. I grabbed it and decided to see if I could get it into bootloader mode, and force a manual reflash. Except, I pushed the wrong buttons, and put it in diagnostic mode instead. I decided to play along, and to my surprise all the diagnostics turned up fine. It clean-booted, and now it works again.

I should be annoyed, the way I usually am when problems go away inexplicably. But I'm just happy that I've got the thing back.

2. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

You pushed the wrong buttons?

Glad to hear the end result worked out well.

3. Adama D. Brown

The Axims have two built-in BIOS functions: bootloader and diagnostics. The bootloader is invoked by holding down the power and wireless buttons while rebooting, the diagnostic program by holding down power and record. I forgot which was which, since I barely ever use these features, and held down power and record.

4. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

I take it that you made sure the lock switch was off this time?

(Even I forgot when I engaged the lock switch on my X50v on a few occasions, back when I still had it.)

That's the only explanation I can think of, anyway. I just hope the problem doesn't return.

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Congrats on having a new/old toy to play with again. :) It's nice to see an old friend again, isn't it? :cool:

6. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Ha, ha, it seems to me you didn't actually push the wrong buttons, but the true right ones. Congrats!

7. Adama D. Brown

LOL, yeah. I made that mistake a few times, but I eventually got out of the habit of using the lock.

In this case, it would respond to the power button, but nothing else. Don't know why, can't tell you what changed. (Shrug)

Woo! :D

8. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

It sounds like it just needed a vacation and a good rest Adama!:D :D

Glad you got it back. Isn't it funny how our devices almost "know" that we are mad at them and are about to throw them into the river? Or is that just me?:p

9. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

I don't think it's just you, brickman. It seems like every time I turn on the lights, all of the electronics on my workbench begin to nervously tremble ... well, at least the ones that weren't quick enough to scuttle back into the darkness.

10. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

:)D :D :D )

My dad is not quite someone you would say tech friendly. He is at war with all technology. Or the other way around; things just die in his hands. My sister has killed the HDD in two computers; no all-week round downloading, just office work, and very moderate digital effort.

My dad is always speaking about the "malice of the inanimate objects". The day something really important happens is the day the usually reliable cellphone starts a reset loop. A TV that starts showing terrible image quality and suddenly stops the problem... with the TV technician at sight. And so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.