Itching To Get A New Smartphone (Scratch...Scratch...Scratch)

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by NetBrakr, Mar 6, 2013.

1. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

People! Please stop buying new smartphones! I am itching to get a new smartphone. lol jk :p

Anyway, yeah, I think it's time to research for my next smartphone.

I was thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy S2 (T989) Unlocked. But just recently, I talked to a store's customer representative. He told me if you get the Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 Unlocked, it will only work outside the US's carriers; since there is a new law. The carrier can block the IMEI number to prevent from other US carriers using the phone. So which means I cannot use the phone for At&t. Sucks. :( Though I am not 100% certain if this true or not.

So anyway, my second option is the LG Optimus 4X HD (OEM Unlocked). But I am open to suggestions.

My requirements:
    NON At&t Phones
    Unlocked
    3G 850/1900mhz
    mini-SIM Slot
    microSD slot
    At least Android 2.3 (I have no problems going old school)
    Minimum 4.5" to maximum 5" screen
    Under $400

Any suggestions will be appreciated. :)
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
    scjjtt likes this.
  2. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I think the customer rep is mistaken. The law related to unlocking says only that phones that are locked to a carrier can't be unlocked without that carrier's permission, not that phones manufactured without a carrier lock can't be used on U.S. carriers or can/would be blocked by U.S. carriers.
    RickAgresta, scjjtt and Mitlov like this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Endogame

Does sound like confusion (sounds like he's combining both the Librarian's DMCA exception removal and the upcoming national registry of stolen phones together), though I can't think of any reason a carrier couldn't block any phone they felt like, including all non-branded phones, I've never heard of them actually doing it either.

All the buying activity has got me drooling too. Be strong!
    scjjtt likes this.
  4. NetBrakr

This is where I got the info.

Samsung T989 Galaxy S II (T-Mobile) (Unlocked)

(The chat feature is offline now.)

But but but, I dont want to be strong. :p
    scjjtt likes this.
  5. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

I have one of those, though it's still locked to T-Mobile. Nice phone, I must say. T-Mobile will give me an unlock code if I ask for one, and they wouldn't then blacklist the IMEI--that would be pretty stupid of them since I'd still want to use it on T-Mobile even if I temporarily use it on another network. And if the phone you're looking at was a) unlocked with a code provided by T-Mobile, or b) unlocked by any means prior to when the DMCA thing took effect (near the end of January, if I remember right), it's completely legal.

I'm sure AT&T would be happy to let you use it on their network as long as you pay for their service.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Netbrakr and Mi An - I totally understand your drooling. I believe I would be content with my phone for a much longer time if it wasn't for the horrible data speeds that I'm experiencing.

Anyway - enjoy our friends experiences here on BH and it may give you extra time to make the best decision on what phone would be best for you!

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk
    Mi An likes this.
  7. NetBrakr

Tom: I think you are right, because when I took a look some older phones, it said the same thing, International Use Only. Like this one, 5 year old phone.

Blackberry Pearl 8120 Titanium (T-Mobile Unlocked)

So the Samsung Galaxy S2 T989 perhaps still will be one of my options.
  8. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Just wanted to say, without trying to sound pushy, that with the exception of SD card storage, your wish list matches a Nexus 4 superbly. I do understand the desire for SD storage and why it is important. If you need a lot of media with you it is important. It was easy for me to give up because I've never managed to come even close to filling a 16Gb SD card on any of my devices.

However, if you want to trade switching out files for a very nice phone that can do either AT&T or T-Mobile... ;)

Just a thought. :)
    scjjtt likes this.
  9. NetBrakr

Hook is threatening me to get the Nexus 4, Moderators!!! :D jk

Anyway, I just talked to customer rep again. And there is no real block.

Ted: Hello, my name is Ted. How may I help you?
    me: Hello again Ted. I am interested of getting the Blackberry Pearl 8120
    but what does it mean International use only?
    I thought it was unlocked
    Ted: This means this unit is subject to be blocked within the US by T-mobile due to recent unlocking laws.
    me: Hmmm...What law is that?
    Ted: A law has been put into place that restricts the unlocking of carrier branded models.
    me: no, i mean, what is the name of this law?
    Ted: Unfortunately I am unsure of the exact name of this.
    me: Can I ask where did you get that info please?
    Ted: This was information we received from our director and can be found online. Feel free to perform a Google search for this and you will have no problem finding this information.
    me: I think the director is mistaking
    Please read the last point

The Librarian of Congress has made it illegal for consumers to unlock their smartphones without carrier consent under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The White House has publicly stated that consumers should be able to freely unlock their phones without the risk of criminal penalty or any other imposed punishment. UnlockingUnlocking a smartphone enables it to be used with another carrier. For example, legally, someone cannot switch over from AT&T to Sprint unless AT&T's policy allowed them to, or unless the phone came shipped as unlocked. Originally, after the policy was embraced in October, there was a grace period of 90 days, where it was legal for someone to buy a device and have it unlocked with their carrier of choice. That grace period ended on Jan. 26. Now it's illegal to unlock your phone unless it ships as unlocked or the carrier allows it.

There is no mention about blocking from the other US GSM carriers

Ted: This has occurred a number of times, so we wanted to ensure we made our customers aware of it for their protection and well being.
    me: i see, so its like a friendly msg dont use the phone other US GSM carrrier.
    And there is no "real" block....right?
    Ted: Yes. The unit may be blocked upon use.
    me: I see. Well, then thank you for clearing this up
    Ted: My pleasure.
    me: greatly appreciated. [smile] Have a great day
  10. Hook

The LG seems to be a pretty close cousin of the Nexus 4. You are trading some screen resolution for an SD card slot, which seems to me like a good trade. CPU, etc, seem to be very similar.

I know the SII is very popular but others here know more about it than I. I don't know the Grand at all.
  11. NetBrakr

Just a comparison.

Attached Files:

12. Hook

As I said, petty close, and the SD card you want. ;) Afraid the secret Samsung Police will be after you if you start covoring with different Koreans? :eek: :p
  13. NetBrakr

Oh yes....I am afraid that they will somehow force me to trade it something like Galaxy S3!! :eek:
  14. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Isn't the screen resolution difference b/t the Nexus 4 and the LG the difference between having on-screen buttons as opposed to 'hard' buttons? I'm not sure, but I thought that was it. The Nexus 4 also has the 2 GB of RAM for the system instead of 1 GB, which might make a performance difference. But I'd opt for the card storage too.
  15. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

My vote goes to the SIII for the least amount of compromise [carrier aside?] and the best non Google updates and aftermarket support.

Tegra 3 would be the last SoC I'd want after the international One X I used and sold after a few weeks because of poor battery life and relatively poor performance although the 4X has a 250mAh bigger battery than the Tegra 3 One X, still, the dual cored Qualcomm S4 powered One X I replaced it with got basically 50%+ better battery life than the Tegra 3 powered version everything else being equal, AND better performance.

Galaxy Grand gets good reviews apart from it being WVGA on a 5", similar width as the Note II but a lot shorter, comes with Jellybean out of the box which may be a pro for someone, if it's 25% or more cheaper than the others it would be a good buy if you don't mind a good quality LCD at 5" WVGA.Most reviewers go on about it before finally admitting it's actually not as bad as they thought it would be. It also has the windows feature like the Note II.

I tried non removable storage with the One X's and won't be going there again even though I'm no habitual card swapper, if you only do it once in a while it's still a pain not having the facility to do so, MTP vs UMS is a problem for me with newer fixed storage devices as well.
  16. NetBrakr

Samsung Galaxy Grand is out after thinking of it. So it's now a battle between Samsung Galaxy SII T989 vs LG Optimus 4X HD P880.

As for the cost, they are literally only few dollars difference.

So should I stay with my favorite brand? Or should I betray my brand and go with insanely fast device?

Ohhhhh so hard to decide!!!!! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

*sit on my hands and do nothing*
  17. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Get the LG and put a Samsung sticker on it.
    Hook, scjjtt and weegie like this.
  18. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Sorry, I need glasses apparently :rolleyes:, didn't read the model number of the S2, I was off on a tangent about the S3 :eek:

Still doesn't make me like the Tegra 3 any more
  19. NetBrakr

Dilemma situation.

Should I get it now or backorder? The backorder one is considerably cheaper from Negri Electronics. Other one is from Amazon - Canadian seller.

I dont mind the wait, but I never used Negri Electronics.
  20. Hook

What is the price difference?

I would go with Amazon in that situation. They have great CS, even with third party sellers. Back Order snafus is not how you want to get to know a new seller, particularly if they are asking for money up front.