Is this where I ask about Roku TV?

Discussion in 'Other Platforms' started by LandSurveyor, Oct 4, 2015.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Jig, you always find great stuff. That article was just the thing I was looking for. Tremendous. Thanks.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Whoa, you only pay $30 a month for internet? Granted, we have the deluxe super speedy fios internet, but we're paying $85/month for it. We were paying a lot more for cable as well, which is why we cut it down to just internet.

If we went with Cablevision on a temporary deal, the best we could do would be $45/month for internet only, but it's Cablevision, so it means crappier internet plus, well, it's Cablevision. And I have a grudge against them for going door to door trying to get us to switch from FiOS and waking up my son while he was napping.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm paying $30/month for 50meg download through xfinity. It's new to me. I've been having some challenges with my wifi, which could be my network rather than comcast, but so far it's been okay. I'm also taking advantage of xfinity hotspots while at work to reduce my cell data usage. While I'm no fan of comcast, they do offer me a bunch of free online videos.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Belated reply: I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I meant $25 - 30 a month for the Roku service. I believe our internet service is around forty to fifty bucks. It is also the reason I have decided not to try Roku. The better half has been experimenting with casting football broadcasts from here computer to her smart TV and for it to work well, nobody else in the house can be online without interrupting the broadcast. This works OK for once-a-week football games but I can't run everybody offline every night just to watch TV.

5. jigwashere

I'm not familiar with the Roku service. What does that provide?

The slowdown you're experiencing when your wife is streaming/casting football to the smart TV is possibly a symptom of poor WiFi, rather than an issue with your internet service. At least, that's been my (admittedly limited) experience. I bought a new router, and it made a world of difference. One way to test this is to connect a computer to the internet via ethernet cable and test the connection speed (speedtest.net is usually a good choice) and compare that with your WiFi connection speeds. Wired should usually be faster, but probably not a whole lot faster than your WiFi, at least for a single device.

Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Roku doesn't have it's own service. You can use Roku for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc but you pay for all those a la carte. I think LS was thinking of all the services he'd need to go with the Roku.

jigwashere likes this.
  7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Yeah, I didn't think there was a Roku service either, although Jig's article and a subsequent one I read in the Times both pick Roku Stick as the best option overall, although Apple TV is quickly filling up with all kinds of cool stuff it can do.

8. jigwashere

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

We love NowhereTV. It gets us the local NJ station (news 12) which is great for weather and such (if we try to watch NBC/ABC we get a lot of NYC coverage, which isn't really applicable to our weather needs).

RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.