Is this where I ask about Roku TV?

Discussion in 'Other Platforms' started by LandSurveyor, Oct 4, 2015.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I've just discovered that Roku has their stuff baked into certain TVs now. Since I intend to get a smaller flatscreen some time in the coming months and since I refuse to pay for cable or satellite, Roku seems like it might be an answer to my question since I'm only using antenna TV otherwise. Does anybody have a Roku TV or wish to contribute their opinions about Roku in general? I'm all ears.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'll offer one thought on the baked in part of the equation. It might just be me, but I expect a tv to last decades. I don't expect proprietary smartware to stay up-to-date that long. That might not matter. It isn't as if smart tvs can't use other set top boxes, so say a few years down the line you add an external roku (or something else) to a tv even though it already has it's own rokuware baked in, though that could be mildly confusing (as "Wait, am I using the internal roku or the external roku?"). But the need for support on smartware of any platform tends to be greater than for dumbware. More moving parts, so to speak. And if something does get wonky, it seems like it could get frustrating knowing your set won't get the update or refresh it needs to just work as well as a dumb tv.

EdmundDantes and scjjtt like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Some smart TVs auto-update their SW; that's what my Vizio did…
    EDIT: oh, Mi An…? Decades? you may be the only one. I don't like the trend of replace not repair, but my Vizio (not top of the line) has 2 HDMI inputs, and for no darn good reason one simply stopped working.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    scjjtt likes this.
  4. LandSurveyor

I avoided the TVs with the dvd players in them on the chance that the dvd player would quit and I would be stuck with a TV with a useless accessory. I assume this is similar.

So it seems better to get the Roku stick instead? Hmmm.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

EdmundDantes, RickAgresta and Mi An like this.
  6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I would go for a standalone Roku/Roku stick. Streaming technology is changing much, much faster than TV technology, and it doesn't make sense to lock in on something that might be obsolete soon.

Having said that, I love our Roku 3-we cut out our cable and went internet-only, and with a Hulu subscription, Netflix, and Amazon, we aren't missing much at all. If you're going budget, Roku Stick all the way.

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I love our Roku 2. My mother-in-law has the roku 3 which is similar. I have a chromecast which seems fine, but rarely use it.

The main difference between the stick and set top Rokus: set top has Ethernet, usb, and micro SD slot. Roku3 has headphone jack in the remote, etc.

EdmundDantes likes this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I agree with Mi An. While some baked in players can update, I wouldn't base my tv purchase on having Roku (but I'd take it if the options were close). I think the sticks and external players are better.

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. LandSurveyor

10. LandSurveyor

It just makes more sense to me to pay only $25 - $30 a month rather than a minimum of $85 for cable or satellite.