Is there a launcher that can rotate icons in their own place when going into landscape?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by raspabalsa, Dec 7, 2017.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hi all!

As the title says, I'm looking for a launcher that can rotate app, widget, and folder icons in their own place when the screen goes into landscape. I've tried several launchers (Nova, ADW, Aviate, Evie, LG's Home and variants, Apex, probably a few more I can't remember) and none seems to have this option. Every launcher will rotate the screen and the full contents when going to landscape, moving icons from their former places in portrait and placing them near the bottom of the screen in landscape. This means my lovingly set array of 6x3 icons in portrait will be rotated, 90 or 270 degrees, so now the 6 columns are aligned to the full width of the landscape screen, leaving big gaps between icons, while the 3 rows are more closely together, making the desktop seem squashed vertically (or stretched horizontally). Of course everything returns to "normal" when going back to portrait, but this change is becoming a source of annoyance for me, especially because Nova Launcher also resizes the icons and their labels when doing this change. So, is there a launcher that will simply rotate every icon 90 or 270 degrees individually but keeping it in its original place? Is this option available on one of the launchers I mentioned above and I have missed it? Alternatively, should I simply accept the fact that age exacerbates OCD symptoms and leave it at that?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    lelisa13p, jigwashere and Mi An like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

There, there; can I offer you a warm beverage? Which makes me think that 'Old Sheldon' might be a funny show…

No launcher I'm aware of offers that feature; sorry raspy.

3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

That always annoyed me too. I portrait lock my launcher, among other things.

My launcher is sort of capable of what you're talking about, not automatically, but by allowing two different layouts, one portrait, one landscape. That probably means you'll need to reconfigure each time you add a new program, but if you're like me, you don't change your home screen often. The setting is called dual position. I don't recommend Lightning exactly, it's very unintuitive to set up, but I suspect lots of launchers might allow you to set up one portrait layout and then manually define a landscape layout that is as you've described... a rotation of the icons in place. The iffy part might be moving any dock you have at the bottom to the side. Lightning is configurable enough I bet it can even move the dock from bottom to a sidebar position -- not sure other launchers could do that unless they let you lose the dock entirely, but I haven't used another launcher in a long time.

One of the main reasons I use Lightning Launcher is so I can have all text and no icons on my homescreen and app drawer. It looks cleaner to me. But the settings are so hard for even me as a very long time user (5 years?) to navigate, after one update, I completely lost my ability to configure it and just had to restore lightning from titanium to get my the text only setting back for a couple of years. I finally figured out how to set it again, but there's still a red bar in my app drawer that I'm 99.9999% sure can be changed to black, but have absolutely no idea where that setting is. :shrug:

4. raspabalsa

It's good to know I'm not alone in this. I don't portrait lock mine because I use my phone in landscape a lot (movies, games) and it annoys me much more to see the icons sideways.
    Yes! That's exactly what I had in mind: a setup for each screen orientation. And you're right, I don't change my home screen often. In fact, I've used the same background image for over 4 years, not only on my phone, but also on my backup phone, and my laptop, and my work laptop, and my desktop. I wouldn't mind having to tweak the home screen every now and then, it's not like I add apps every day or week.
    Thanks for the not-quite-recommendation. I'm looking at the Play Store page of Lightning Launcher. Reviews seem mostly very good. I see there's no trial or free version, just a straight buy. I'll have to read about it before deciding.
    That's interesting. I've often wondered about moving the dock, would be nice to try it. From what you say I gather that LL has a very steep learning curve. I don't mind that, so long as I can get the result just as I want it. Looks like I have a project for the weekend. Thank you, Mi An!

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I portrait lock my 6p, but movies and games (I don't play many games so may not be a good sample there) always go into landscape anyway and then, when I'm done, it pops back into portrait. I'm assuming that isn't just a 6p thing or a Nexus thing, bu I don't know.

6. raspabalsa

That doesn't work for me. I just portrait - locked my phone. Launched MX Player, video list is shown in portrait. Tap a movie to play it, UI switches to landscape, have to flick phone sideways. Pause movie and enter menu - > settings, or go back to movie list, UI switches to portrait, have to flick phone back, etc. MXP doesn't have an option to lock its UI to landscape regardless of system screen orientation. So I keep the phone to auto-rotate and MXP will follow. But games do work fine, as you said. So my main gripe is with the launcher itself, especially since I often place my phone in landscape mode when using my Apple keyboard because I find it more comfortable when using Excel.

I Just read some reviews of Lightning Launcher, but none go deep enough into settings and customization. Looks like I'll just have to jump in and see for myself.

7. raspabalsa

Ok, I jumped in, water frezzing cold, jumped right out. Meaning my first attempt right after buying LL left me almost regretting the purchase. It really is not the least intuitive, and I soon realized that setting up a good home screen will take a lot of tapping, swiping, and curs1ng. Second attempt, I found the "Dual position" setting Mi An mentioned. Since this launcher supports rotating the icons, I think I'm on the right track. I think this is much more powerful than Nova or ADW. I already love that it supports sub-folders! This is another feature I'd been wishing for. I still don't have even a rough draft of what the desktop will look like. Will be interesting to play more with it, but RTFM is really a must for this launcher.