Is the iGo keyboard compatible?

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by with.the.band, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. with.the.band

with.the.band Mobile Enthusiast

Quick question - does anyone have the iGo Stowaway Keyboard (http://www.igo.com/product.asp?sku=2524884), and gotten it to work with their 210? I'm about to purchase one but I don't want to go through the hassle of returns etc. Let me know if you've gotten it to work, thanks!

2. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

Mine should be here tomorrow or Monday so I'll let you know. It's BT so it should work great.
    Mick

3. Mickeylittle

Whoops, I just read that the igo is being discontinued because of no drivers for WM6 so when I report back it may not be good news!
    Mick

4. with.the.band

Urgh that doesn't sound promising. Keeping fingers crossed since it seems like the best BT keyboard out there at the moment. Hoping it works for you, so I can get one soon too!

5. SHC

SHC Mobile Evangelist

I've got the Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard and didn't need to install any drivers. WM6 seems to have some compatable drivers built-in.

6. Stirling

Stirling Packets in, packets out

Someone mentioned in another thread the other day that think outside was dropping their keyboard line. FWIW I was on the line with their tech support & the guy I was talking to told me that isn't the case at all & they are going to keep making them. Shrug.

7. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

The news came from talking to the iGo people at CES. I suspect the CS guy hasn't been told yet. ;)

8. Mickeylittle

Why do I listen to rumors? :rolleyes: All the early reports about the 210 had it sucking and I am very happy with mine. Then I read online about the igo being done away with and I got sad but now it seems that it will work fine. Oh well, I should know for sure either later today or bu Monday night.
    Mick

9. Stirling

Stirling Packets in, packets out

Yeah, that's what I thought too, and then I thought, "how messed up is it that I know before the CS guy knows?"

10. Hook

Hook Hookette's edgy lately

Mick, this always happens with any new device. Why? Because people post when they have problems. There's always an initial wave of getting past the device quirks stage and then things settle down and perspective returns. I've seen it with most devce releases, Palm or WM. Actually, the TX release in 05 was surprising as it was an incredible love fest (even PocketPC Thoughts folks were praising it :eek: ), but that was because it was really a refinement of the T5 and LD and really had nothing new to be that quirky --yet. ;)

11. Mickeylittle

That's what had me worried because I got my TX within 2-3 weeks of availability and there were basically no upfront complaints. And since it was a refining of the T5 especially, they look quite alike, they pretty much had all the bugs worked out.

It's sad, but I can't be the only one who waiting on pins and needles for the 210, wondering, is it really a piece of crap! My wife calls me a geekizoid and she's right. I told her last night that my 210 is 95% setup the way I want it and she said that's good because if it was 100% I'd get bored!:cool:

12. Mickeylittle

It didn't come in the mail today so maybe Monday...;)

13. with.the.band

^ Any update on this? :)

14. Mickeylittle

Hey yes, sorry... I got it and it works fine. It's probably me but it took several attempt to get it running. But it does work good.

15. with.the.band

That's good news that it actually works. I'll put my order through for one, cheers!

16. DrAT

DrAT Mobile Evangelist

Which driver are you using? I don't get an option for the UK layout; otherwise it's fine with both the WM5 and built-in drivers.

17. Mickeylittle

DrAT,

I actually deleted the drivers that came on the CD and just let the basic drivers in WM 6 run the keyboard. I did that because all I have to do to use the keyboard is tap on the BT icon and when as soon as the BT turns on I can start typing away. With the CD drivers it seemed like I had to go to the BT manager and double tap the keyboard.
    Mick

18. Veedubb

Veedubb Mobile Evangelist

I've been using this keyboard with the 110 for a couple of weeks. (I know the 110 is not the same as the 210, but HP ought to be very embarrassed if the 110 works with more accessories than the 210)

Anyway, it works perfectly fine with WM6, as do the drivers on the CD. If you follow all the directions that come with it when setting up the pairing, you do not need to go into the BT manager every time you use it. Just open the keyboard, turn on BT, and tap a key. Re-links in a matter of seconds.

19. DrAT

DrAT Mobile Evangelist

The delay (manually linking) when using the provided divers only occurs when I use encryption. Open connections are established quickly as just mentioned.
    I think the built in system uses encryption (there's a passkey) and is quick so is the way to go if you want a secure connection.
    Unfortunately, it swaps a couple of keys around and I miss some features of the iGo (or whoever) driver.
    I hadn't noticed the firmware update feature before either. Is that worth the risk?

20. Bebeman

Bebeman 4705Technoweenie

My Stowaway BT Keyboard works great with the 211, also I just got the Stowaway BT travel mouse to work as well...just used the I go drivers on their site....BTW the keyboard worked without any additional drivers (WM6 just recognized it, and it worked)