Is the backup battery a standard battery?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by tashina, Dec 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tashina

tashina Newbie

Just checking. I'm pretty sure that's the part I need, because whenever the main battery is removed I lose all the info on the iPAQ. I don't mind taking the iPAQ apart and replacing the backup battery myself, but I need to take it out of the country in a week or so and don't have a lot of time to order parts unless it's really necessary.

I've seen the battery order-able for $15 online, but wanted to know if it's just a standard watch/camera battery that can be bought at the store. I saw that another older HP had a standard battery.

It is an hx4705 (but from what I can see it's the same battery for the 4700 too).

Also, which Torx do I need? 5 or 6 or both? I assume I can pick those up at Home Depot. The iPAQ parts place I l looked at charges $15 for a "repair kit".

Thanks for any help.

2. tashina

tashina Newbie

Since no one knew the answer, we went ahead and ordered one for $15 from pocketpctechs.com.

It doesn't look like a readily available item from your local store, but here's the info off the top of the battery and that way some future user can google it and see what it is:

Varta V6 HR from Germany

3. tashina

tashina Newbie

Repair was very easy using a mini slotted screwdriver and a Torx 6. While I'm busy replying to myself, I thought I'd add the link to the disassembly instructions, since they were hard to find. Not that it was hard to take apart, but it gives you a warm feeling to know you are doing it right. :newpalm:

http://pdasmart.zftp.com/instructions/hx47xx_disassembly_06.pdf

4. kjaye

kjaye Newbie

I joined this forum purely so I could thank you for answering the same problem thats been bugging me.

I just bought a replacement battery this week and every time I swap between them I lose all my data.

The amazing thing is that after owning the device for 2 years the only time I ever used the backup restore feature was a couple days ago before I installed a navigator package.

If I hadnt I would have lost all my programs and it would have been a nightmare having to restore it all.

Anyway I now realise I too have a low backup battery. Also I have an external speaker that hasn't worked for two years, but is perfect with headphones.

Based on your knowledge of dismantling your ipod do you think if I ordered another backup battery and replacement speaker that I could do the repair jobs myself at home? Is it that easy?

Thanks for posting mate you really helped me out at least :)

5. ceewebb

ceewebb Mobile Consultant

I have the same problem of losing everything when I try to change the battery. I checked to see what it was registering in "Power" in System, and it shows 100%. Any ideas??

Thanks

6. LiteBright

LiteBright Mobile Evangelist

I have the same problem, however mine is caused by a defective rocker switch that is supposed to switch over to the backup battery temporarily when you pull out the main battery. Many have posted here about this and some have had HP accuse them of abusing their 4700, refusing to honor the warranty and fix the broken rocker switch. It seems to have happened too much for it not to be a design flaw and HP really should have come clean about it.

Fortunately for me, my rocker switch is stuck in, so I can still use my 4700. My backup battery reads 100%, but if I switch batteries without having the unit plugged into the wall, it causes a hard reset. This is because the rocker switch is not switching power to the backup battery to keep power on the memory.

If the rocker switch is broken and stuck out (which is not my situation), the backup battery keeps power on the memory but the main battery doesn't ever make contact --so the unit appears not to turn on.

This is only the problem for some; having the rocker switch stuck in produces the same symptoms as a dead backup battery. You have to check your battery meter to see if it actually shows that it is dead.

7. scrinsonbat

scrinsonbat Mobile Enthusiast

Hi to all,
    I may be completely wrong on this but the backup battery is only used if your main battery runs out and you will have something like 3-4 days to recharge before the device loses its data and restores back to factory default,it isn't used for battery swapping.
    Maybe one of the guru's here could shed some more light on the problem?

8. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

The backup battery was/is used for battery swapping under WM2003--I don't know whether it's still used under WM5. Under 2003, the backup battery would be used to provide extra standby time if the main battery went dead, but its capacity would be very limited, more like a couple of hours than a couple of days.

9. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

The internal backup battery is still used in the hx4700, Adama. It's a small "button" or "coin" cell soldered directly onto the mainboard; I've seen one that was still on the mainboard but didn't actually look at it closely (the repair on that unit was a new headphone jack).

I'm not sure what kind it is (Ni-MH or Li-Ion). I'm pretty sure that you'd need to put the right kind in, because the wrong kind might eventually overheat badly while steadily eroding the attached charging logic chips or voltage regulator circuits.

I did find the Varta V 6 HR Rechargeable Ni-MH Button - Preliminary Data Sheet ... the specs basically place it at 1.2V 6mAh capacity, which would last from 20 minutes at maximum drain (18mA) to perhaps a few hours at "typical" drain. It's supposed to have a life of up to 1000 cycles or 5 years in ideal (for a battery) conditions.

10. DJ Rome

DJ Rome Tinkerer & Dealer

On average, I noticed that dead battery means about 2 days before hard reset. That's using all of the left over 5% and the 100% backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.