Is Lifedrive Worth it?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by z22 2006 User, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I am currently considering buying a Lifedrive. The device I am currently using is an E2. Does the Lifedrive really have as many problems as people say? I am mostly interested in it because it has Built-in wifi, so I wouldn't have to use my wifi card, and it has a built-in hardrive, as well as a voice recorder.

The bottom line is this: Is it worth buying? I would mostly use it for personal use, and for school.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

My opinion can be considered biased, since I use a TX and have only tested a LD a couple of times. Bottom line, I think the hard disk in the LD is a major drawback in terms of lag (when spinning up and down) and power consumption. At 4GB, it's no longer that big of an advantage, given low prices of SD cards. A TX with a couple of 2GB SD cards will probably be cheaper and will work as well.

Or, you could get a LD and replace the hard disk with a larger flash card, as some have done (check here and at 1src). Not that would be interesting, I think.

3. z22 2006 User

As a device, though, is it worth it? How much of lag is there?

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

That I don't know. But I've read some threads discussing the lag (or lack of, according to some users' experiences). Try running a search, you'll probably get useful data.

5. z22 2006 User

Ok, Thanks. I will do a search.

6. z22 2006 User

Sorry for double post, but What would be a device that is simular to the lifedrive?

7. LD Dudette

LD Dudette Newbie

The LifeDrives are awesome if you put in a CF card. I have put 4GB cards into a few of them and have a couple 16GB cards on order to try. If you truely think Palm Handhelds are kool, then you will love the LifeDrive.

I bought my first LD new a couple years ago or so & had 2 hard drives go bad in about a year & a half. The CF cards should supposedly last forever & they are much faster. It use to take forever to boot up with a HD but with a CF card it's just a matter of seconds. I can't say that I've noticed much of a lag to speak of with the CF cards. :newpalm:

8. z22 2006 User

Would the LD still be usable with the HD? I don't like to mess around with my electronics. Also, Welcome to Brighthand, LD Dudette.

9. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

It's usable with a HD, but the CF conversion is really what makes it worthwhile. It's simple to do, just unplug the HD and plug in the CF, if you get one that is ready to go. You can find sources in threads here, and my recommendation would be UsedPDAParts. You can find LDs for sale on ebay with the CF already installed, and that may be the easiest way to get one. With a 4GB CF, and a few 2GB SD cards, you'll have all the storage you need. I use one SD card, and have never come close to filling it. You can keep whatever you like on the internal storage, and many people fill it with mp3s. Mine is mostly empty, and I use the SD mostly for backups and installing apps.

10. z22 2006 User

Do all of the Lifedrive's features still work if you have the CF card in place of the HD? I really need to know, because that way I can decide wether I want a LD with a HD or CF Card, or a different device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.