Is it possible to prevent user from accessing gmail on 2nd device with my account?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by raspabalsa, May 30, 2016.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My son and I shared my Google account until I got him a Nexus 7. I had a bunch of games I'd gotten for free or discount thru Google Play and Amazon under my accounts, so giving him his own account caused some expense. The good news, though, was that he outgrew some of the games and the others weren't terribly expensive. I didn't try migrating over the user data, so he had to start over, which caused some grief. I've diverted all college savings into a therapy fund, so I think we can mitigate the long term affects.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

This seemed promising, but it's not available for my account:

broken.jpg

I guess this is yet another geographical restriction.

I also tried 2-step verification, but the SMS takes too long to arrive (up to 5 minutes). Working in the field does not help this, plus I also travel overseas regularly without roaming service, so it's not a good option for me.

Yes, it's more or less my situation. I guess there's really no way to safely share my account with my kids, so I'll just start buying a few apps for them under the family account.

Guest, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  3. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

Hmm... sorry. It could be a region restriction, but I noticed in your post that you were having trouble with two-step verification. I think two-step has to be turned on for app-specific passwords to work. Did you have it enabled when you saw that message?

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of SMS, you can use the Google Authenticator app instead (there is even a Google-compatible Authenticator for AppleWatch).

4. raspabalsa

Yes, I did enable two-step verification before trying App passwords. But that's when I noticed the long delays to receive the code.

The authenticator app looks interesting. It's esentially a token just like those issued by banks, does not require internet or cell access to generate the code. That could work. Thanks!

Guest, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  5. raspabalsa

Just finished testing the authenticator app, and it doesn't help with my request. This app is designed to be used on a primary device, one that no one else will have but you. Just like a bank-issued token, it generates unique codes every few seconds. But it unlocks access for the whole device, not on a per-app basis. Once I entered the code on my 2nd phone then it gained full access to my account, including mail, calendar, etc.

I admit my request is uncommon, and probably Google has no interest in providing means to do it (would affect sales after all). I mostly gave up and now my family account has its first games :)

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

6. jigwashere

Don't worry, raspy. As soon as you go through all the effort and expense of setting up your family account, a simple and free solution will present itself. ;) Oh, and in a year or two, each kid will need their own, unique account and you'll have to start over. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

Thank you! What you say is that instead of setting up and purchasing stuff for the family account I should have done so for my daughter's google account (which she shares with my son). That way in a year or two I'd only have to buy stuff one more time, once my son gets his own account. But now I'll have to buy stuff twice again. :( ;)

8. jigwashere

No, no, no. Stick to the plan. If you try to beat the system, you'll probably just end up with more kids.

9. raspabalsa

:D:D:D:D:D

10. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I use two-factor authentication, with a YubiKey. That's my primary method, but I can use authenticator tokens as well. You can take the YubiKey with you when you travel. Mine is a nano, just barely large enough to fit into a USB port, although they come in various sizes. That could solve your problem for the time delay.

lelisa13p, raspabalsa and scjjtt like this.