Is it possible to prevent user from accessing gmail on 2nd device with my account?

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by raspabalsa, May 30, 2016.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

This is something I haven't figured how to solve:

All my app purchases are made with my gmail account, including those I share with my kids. After adding my account I set Gmail to not sync on their devices. However, this leaves my data accessible to them. They can still access settings and change sync easily or accidentally, and they can still launch Gmail and read/write/delete/sync manually anything under my account. I already warned my kids, and did so in a very stern tone, about the dangers of using my account for anything other than playing and listening to music, but is there a more secure solution? Is it possible to set my google account to require a second password for opening gmail and syncing? Can I restrict access to the Settings app, or at least to the Accounts section (not a full solution, as gmail would still be open to manual sync)? Can I set my gmail to sync only to certain devices and not to others?

I don't want to stop sharing my apps with my kids. I just want to prevent unauthorized edits to my gmail data, and perhaps privacy could become an issue in the future, since my kids' tablet can also be used by my ex-wife.

This wouldn't be an issue if there was a way to migrate all purchases to a different account (then I could migrate them to a "family account") or if I had created such account back in 2012. But it seems the former won't be possible anytime soon, and the latter requires causality violations to become feasible.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Elle Bryant likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Mind you, I have no experience with this because I don't share my devices. :vbwink: However, here's a couple of pages that might give you ideas. It seems to be easier to do with tablets. Also, I don't know how dated these are.. they are talking about Lollipop. Don't know if Marshmallow changed anything..

http://www.howtogeek.com/205301/how...ed-user-profiles-for-basic-parental-controls/

http://www.howtogeek.com/223530/how-to-lock-down-your-android-tablet-or-smartphone-for-kids/

Both mention more elaborate "parental control" apps in the playstore.

Then again, you might just consider setting up a new account and re-buying apps, depending on how big an investment we are talking about.

scjjtt, jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.
  3. raspabalsa

Thanks, Hook, I'm reading through the pages you linked to, see if there's something I can use.

There's a thought. Strictly speaking, my kids don't use most of the apps I've purchased, but my girl is almost a teenager and her interests are quickly -too quickly IMO- expanding. I guess I could create the family account, purchase a couple games and apps again, then end my current Play Music subscription and reopen it in the family account. In the future I'd add apps as required. I'll have to think about this and see how much money this adds up to. I admit this is the ideal solution, financial concerns aside.

I've read that some developers allow migrating the purchase to a second account, on a per-case basis. I guess it's worth trying for some of the more expensive apps.

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Tell if I'm wrong, but can't you simply delete the gmail account info from the email app? not a complete solution, but unless they intentionally re-enter that account information, the email, at least, should be secure. don't know if the email apps allow passwords -- if it was for an Exchange account, including hotmail, the answer is yes, depending on the app. Nine (the app) does just that.

scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

The kids would still have access through the browser, I think.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  6. raspabalsa

AFAIK this can't be done on the default Gmail app. I'd have to disable it on their devices and install a 3rd-party client as you said. Maybe this could work.

Actually, no, since I haven't given them my password. I did enter it when adding my account, but that's it.

The 3rd-party client sounds interesting. I'll check with my test device and see how well it works.

Also, I found an app called "Device Policy" by Google. Sounds promising, except that it requires a business or educational account. I do have one, but I'd rather not add it to my kids' devices since it was issued by the company I work for. Still, I've installed it and will test.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I looked on my Samsung S5, and agree, the stock email apps do not support limiting access via a password (that would be Gmail, and Email).

jigwashere likes this.
  8. raspabalsa

So far there doesn't seem to be a way to do what I want. I see no way to restrict access to my account on a per-app basis. The links Hook provided are very helpful if someone wants to share a device with another person, but that's not the case here. Replacing the stock email app with another one does work, but still leaves some holes because my account should still be installed in the device so the apps can be used by my kids. The Policy App I mentioned above can manage a device remotely, but it can not restrict account access, plus it requires a business google account.

I guess I'll have to go with the family account. I created one, and I'm setting another phone I have as a test device. I've been adding up the cost of re-purchasing apps and games, and it's not that much after all, because the expensive apps are not the ones my kids use. In fact, the most expensive individual game is Minecraft at about USD 6, and this is also the game my kids play the most. I guess it's not much of an investment to keep my data safe. Unless some other option appears soon, I'll go on with the family account.

RickAgresta, Hook and scjjtt like this.
  9. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This Super Moderator

scjjtt, raspabalsa and RickAgresta like this.
  10. raspabalsa

Thanks, Guest. I'll check that and report back.

scjjtt and Guest like this.