Is anybody else here not interested in replacing their current smartphone?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by LandSurveyor, Aug 31, 2017.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Well, if we're in a confessional kind of mood…all my old smartphones still work…even the ones I've never had activated (755p and Centro • Sprint versions). as to the inevitable "but RA, why do you still have them?" I'm a packrat. When upgrading, there was no trade-in incentive (seriously, only iPhones have any meaningful trade-in value when dealing with VZW), so there's that, as a starter. anywho, currently dealing with what appears to be a partially corrupted 128Gb xSDC (or whatever the alphabet soup-name is) card. Windows offers to fix things, but I'd like to backup things first

2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

RA, you're not the only one. :vboops: After each upgrade, I reclaim the device that my Son was using as we swap up to our next round. I have a dedicated drawer containing all of the previous iPhones/iPads/iPod Touch and their accompanying accessories (chargers, plugs, cords, extended battery devices, corded external speakers, earbuds, etc.) Original boxes, paperwork, blah blah blah. :vbgrin: If this is True Confession time, everything listed in my sig is still in my possession. :vbsmile:

I can't help myself but am also not looking for rehabilitation. :vbwink:

r0k, scjjtt, Hook and 3 others like this.
  3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Same here, my collection of devices includes my very first Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Mini, that's from before the "S" series began), Galaxy Player 5.0, two S3 Minis, another Galaxy something, and now two LG V10s :D and that's without counting all the Palm devices and parts I have. I recently removed from this collection my Sony Xperia Z1 (present for my MIL) and my wife's Moto G 2nd gen (now my daughter's first cellphone). I hope to soon return my LG Optimus L7 to the box.

r0k, scjjtt, Hook and 3 others like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

You people are sick. And stay out of my drawers!!!

r0k, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  5. raspabalsa

When a majority is sick, then it isn't sickness anymore, but evolution reorganizing the natural order of things . :newpalm: *

Some years ago we began to explore the possibility of reclaiming gold from discarded electronics. We found very high concentrations of gold in CPUs and cellphone mainboards. Lab tests determined more than 95% recovery, at very low processing costs. Seemed a very good prospect, except for the fact that almost no one in my country throws old cellphones and computers away, even if broken. It was impossible to find a reliable, constant supply of electronic parts, so we couldn't move from lab to pilot phase, and we're still dreaming about ever going into production.

* For example, see the alternate ending of 2007's "I am Legend"

r0k, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I can't wait to show Mrs scjjtt these posts. Now she can KNOW that I am in good company with all my, our, previous phones & Palms in boxes & some beside my desk & nightstand!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, r0k, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

How long have you been married? I'm not sure she'll agree that you're in "good" company. "If all your your friends jumped off a cliff. . . ." :rolleyes:

lelisa13p, r0k, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  8. raspabalsa

I'm thinking back and I've never worried about the battery being user-removable or not when buying a phone or PDA. Maybe it's not a fair argument because I have the training and tools and simply love to take apart gadgets, but I think it's more because other factors have weighed more when deciding to upgrade or buy a device. Back in 2000 when I got my first PDA (Palm Vx) it came with a non-removable battery, in a sealed case that required a heat gun to open it (I used my sister's hair dryer). All my other Palm devices required the case to be taken apart to remove the battery. Back then it wasn't that much of a problem because these gadgets had good enough endurances for most typical use profiles. OTOH, I think smartphone designers decided to include removable batteries because Li-Poly technology hadn't caught up with the power demands of increasingly powerful devices with larger, brighter screens, more RAM, more CPUs, GPUs, etc. But there are two key improvements to consider: power densities in Li-Poly batteries keep getting significantly higher, and powerful CPUs are using power more efficiently. Take two phones, one from 2015 and the other from this year, and you'll see physically smaller batteries packing more mAH. These batteries are also more robust in that they can take higher charging currents, meaning it takes less time to charge them. As for CPUs, I think the Moto Z Play is a good example of this trend for powerful CPUs with much lower power consumption. The Snapdragon 625 may not be a "flagship CPU" but it's certainly good enough for most tasks, and I've yet to see my wife's Z Play lag at games. From what I've read, the Snapdragon 835 continues this trend aided with Android 7.1.1's improved power management policies. In short, what I mean is that IMO a removable battery is less of a benefit now than it was 2 or 3 years ago, and I think the plus of having one will continue to decrease in the next few years.

RickAgresta, lelisa13p, r0k and 3 others like this.
  9. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy - good points & I sure hope you're right. It looks like I've lost having the option of getting a new phone with a removable battery since LG is now making their flagship phone without removable batteries.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, r0k, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I've had only one phone/pda with removable batteries. That was the Nexus One (what a fantastic phone that was, especially in 2010). Unfortunately, rejecting Samsung devices and preferring Nexus devices pretty much doomed me to non-removable batteries. And yes, unlike you, Raspy, I don't have the skill nor am I comfortable taking apart my devices. In my experience, batteries tend to start going downhill after about two years. You can nurse them along a lot longer, but unless you can dig in and replace the battery or you can afford to pay someone else to, it is a limiting factor for us civilians. :vbwink: I don't expect to have a device with a removable battery again, but it was soooo nice with the Nexus One. Unfortunately, those early wonderful phones were sidelined by their technology limits as Android advanced. Now that that doesn't happen so much, it would be so nice if I could replace the battery. Can you imagine if you had to be a car mechanic to replace your car battery?