Is anybody else here not interested in replacing their current smartphone?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by LandSurveyor, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

You do understand you have an obligation to create a thread about your search, do you not? :vbgrin::vbwink:

RickAgresta, r0k, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hmmm.... I'm not sure about it... <picture raspy quickly shuffling through phones as if they were comic books or vinyl records> too expensive... got it... hideous... boring... got it but bootloops... meh... boring... meh and expensive... :D :D

RickAgresta, r0k, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

:vbsmile: :vbsmile: :vbsmile:

RickAgresta, scjjtt and r0k like this.
  4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I got on Apple's interest free financing treadmill last fall when I got my iPhone 7. The main thing I wanted was the ability to use my phone in the rain. The main thing I hated was the loss of the headphone jack. I use a bluetooth headset for phone calls so I can talk on the phone and charge at the same time except when bluetooth screws up which it turns out is pretty often. So as I consider whatever Apple will announce Sept 12th, (iPhone 8 with wireless charging), I wonder if I'll hold out another year so the phone is mine or will I re-up and trade it in for the newer model and add another year of payments? I've found that holding onto my iPhones for 2 years can be frustrating. Hearing you guys talk about keeping older devices reminds me that if I'm willing to adjust my idea of what I "must have" I might be able to live with my iPhone 7 for a lot longer than just one more year.

Apple has never gotten as silly as Palm in making teeny tiny incremental changes so I tend to find compelling reasons to upgrade every couple of years. The main reason I took the financing deal was it freed me of fealty to any particular carrier. Apple wasn't willing to sell a carrierless phone unless you took their financing option.

I'm with Verizon right now but I want to retain the right to tell Verizon to stuff it at a moment's notice and go elsewhere. Frankly there isn't much elsewhere in the US these days. Tmobile bought a boatload of former broadcast VHF TV spectrum but the poor performance of their network around here says either they haven't built it out yet or they screwed it up. Still, after having tried Tmo (back when it was Voicestream), Sprint (Virgin Mobile), At&t and Verizon, I have nothing but dread about the possibility of being stuck with one carrier even when that carrier is Verizon.

For me to consider a phone a possible "keeper" for longer than the "normal" 1 to 2 year upgrade cycle, it has to be unlocked and it has to have the "right" radio chipset that really allows me to take it anywhere. My iPhone 7 has that chipset as far as I know. I'm happy with it for now. I use it in the rain and it has plenty of storage so I can have the apps, photos, videos and ebooks I care about without micromanaging storage and without the dreaded "memory is full" message at one of my kids' performances. In the Apple ecosystem, there is a feature to automatically back photos and videos to the cloud to avoid filling up my phone. This feature saved my butt when my computer crashed and I thought I lost a year and a half worth of photos I'd taken since the last time I'd backed them all up. I lost nothing. It was all in iCloud.

RickAgresta, scjjtt, Hook and 3 others like this.
  5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Whatever replacement is in the future, it will be a mid-tier model. That's plenty good enough for me.

Re: Bluetooth screwing up. The only bluetooth issue I've had is that my BT headphones and the Notifier don't play well together. It's pretty much an either/or. This is not really a big deal bc I only bought the BT phones bc the plug jack died on a previous phone.

6. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I'm going to squeeze every last drop out of my Nexus 6. Even though it's just a lowly 32-bit device that's going to instantly be obsolete any second now solely because it's just a 32-bit device...Haha. Should something actually happen to end it's life (which won't be that it's 32-bit), I've already decided to replace it with an unlocked Moto G5 Plus or maybe by then the Moto G5s Plus (that's special edition for those not in the know) if it's finally out in the US by then. About the only thing the Moto G5 Plus doesn't offer me that the Nexus 6 does is the dual front speakers, but although I like that feature it's just not a deal breaker for me. The Moto G5 Plus (and especially the G5s Plus) actually offers quite a few more features that the N6 doesn't have. Most importantly, I can get an Moto G5 Plus with 64gb/4mb RAM unlocked for $230. The MSRP for the G5s Plus is only $290. It's great that they're still Motorola (just like the N6) and they even have a PureNexus ROM available for them. I'll never pay $1k for a phone and I'll never buy another phone from a phone company.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    lelisa13p, r0k and RickAgresta like this.
  7. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

I plan to run my Galaxy S7 until the day it dies. I had gotten a Note 4 used for a song and it was plenty enough for me, but Sprint said nope can't let you have it, buy ours instead. I think the Note 8's flat screen is ugly and awkard to use. Give me my box please.

lelisa13p, r0k, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Looking back, I've pretty much kept all my smartphones until they died. Unfortunately, they often didn't last 2 years. The problems I had included smartphones that quickly became obsolete (e.g., WiMAX) or weren't worth repairing (cracked screen, dead GPS, various manufacturing defects, etc.). Having dealt with Palm freezing and spontaneous resets, fighting the old Windows phone, defective Samsung E4GT and a failed LG G2, I'm on pins and needles wondering if my Nexus 6 will make it to 2 years. So far, it's the best phone I've ever had. It needs some attention - lately it's been having occasional problems running slow and I've had some mysterious battery drain issues. I'm hoping to flash a new ROM in the next few weeks and put a new case on it, so hopefully that'll improve things. There really isn't much that I see in newer phones that excites me. There aren't even any new apps out there that interest me (I have installed a few things like ESPN fantasy football and the AAA app, but they're pretty boring).

EDIT: Christmas sales are coming and I reserve the right to impulse shop. :newpalm:

raspabalsa, lelisa13p, r0k and 3 others like this.
  9. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

The biggest obstacle to getting more than two years out of a phone is the elimination of the user-replaceable battery. Not only do they not make it user removable, but they bury it so that it's not just a matter of getting the back off. Here's the Nexus 6 battery replacement:

The Nexus 6p is worse because they made it even harder to open up the phone to begin with.

raspabalsa, lelisa13p, r0k and 3 others like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

What a coincidence, Hook! I just watched that video yesterday.