Is anybody else here not interested in replacing their current smartphone?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by LandSurveyor, Aug 31, 2017.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

......or is it just me?

I hope my current Motorola lasts a long time. It works fine and I want to put off shelling out for a new one as long as possible. Kinda like the way I feel about shopping for another car.

Really, I don't see much out there in the way of newer phones that gets me excited.

I have a friend/co-worker who has a ragged Iphone (mostly his fault) but he's hanging onto it as long as possible. He even has to pull the charger cord tight in a certain direction for it to be able to charge. He is very uninterested in the Iphone 8.

Have we peaked?

2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Gear holds up better and longer year after year. I remember when you couldn't possibly get enough RAM. AFAIC, my Nexus 4 that I still pick up from time to time still has enough RAM (albeit, not enough storage) to get by these days. What was that, 2012, 2013?

That said, I'm pretty excited about native Android 8.0 and project treble to overhaul the way Android is updated. Not sure just how revolutionary it will be, but it could bring to an end manufacturers killing OS support to pressure new sales when the old hardware is still meets user needs and wants. Or simply abandoning niche phones. I might be inclined towards a Z3 Play for that next year even though it's easy to imagine my Z Play lasting a long, long time.

r0k, RickAgresta, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

< tapping foot, waiting for Sept 12 to arrive... :vbwink: >

4. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Wish I still had that enthusiasm.

r0k, RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Your son needs another hand-me-down? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

r0k, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

He's grateful for any well-loved devices that I've passed along. He's always happy with what he has, never expects anything and that's why I'm happy to be able to do it. :vbsmile:

r0k, raspabalsa, RickAgresta and 4 others like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

LS - I agree with you & feel the same. I believe that there are several here who feel the same way too. For some of us, our bright hand devices are a means to an end & not the end itself. We want productivity & if the device we happen to be holding does the trick we don't feel a need to get the next new device.

Right now I'm using an old S4 that I turn on by my bed when I plug in my day to day device. When we all had S4's our son bought an Anker 7800mAh Extended Battery Combo.

[​IMG]

That's what I use with this S4. Just using it at night & in the mornings & only connected to WiFi - the battery easily lasts a week & get this - it doesn't even get hot like my v10 & now my G4 does at times.

The only reason I left my S4 was that mine S4 & earlier our son's S4 no longer recognized the sim card. I got the LG v10 for $299 in November 2016. We got the S4's in May of 2013. The S4 basically can do everything I need it to do except the v10 & now my G4 take great indoor pics - & that is nice to have!

Before my v10 went down I bought a reconditioned G4 as a backup for $89. Mrs scjjtt felt that she needed a new phone. I gladly set her up on that & said I'd use her S4 if my v10 boot loops. Sure enough my v10 shortly after did boot loop so I was packing a old S4 - & it served my purposes. I proceeded on to get another $89 G4 - I didn't want to be without a phone/device if this third S4 would no longer read the sim card.

It was nice to use the S4 again as a daily device. It does everything I need except for good indoor pics. When or if LG sends me a v10 replacement - I will probably just put it on the shelve & keep it as a spare for our son or daughter-in-law or son-in-law who all have v10's. Doing this will keep Mrs scjjtt & me with the same phone models & we can share batteries & chargers.

I'm hoping my G4 lasts for years. I don't need my v10 - I definitely don't need a v20 & I'm very disappointed that the battery can't be removed on the v30 - I definitely don't want that until I no longer have a choice on phones with removable batteries

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk

raspabalsa, r0k, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  8. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I'm hoping my Nexus 6p lasts for a very long time. It does everything I want a PDA to do and more. It is going to be agony to figure out what will replace it given I want a phone I can easily root and Rom, but I don't want to pay Pixel prices. Right now, I'm not even upgrading to Oreo but rather staying on the last stable version of Dirty Unicorns for Nougat. Using alternate ROMs probably renders Project Treble irrelevant.

I loved my Nexus 5 and only upgraded after 4 years because I *really* wanted a larger screen and more internal memory. Sadly, the Nexus 5 died due to a battery failure (a rather dramatic one). So, at this point, a really critical new feature or phone death are the only reasons I would upgrade. Getting a new version of the OS is not a reason as long as what I have is stable and does what I need.

Part of what has happened, much faster with phones then it did with computers, is that we've really hit the tech plateau. The incrimental changes in CPU, memory, screen, etc are no longer large leaps and older specs remain relevant for longer.

raspabalsa, r0k, RickAgresta and 4 others like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

in a wee, small voice, RA says "if you're interested in adding to your household, I'm available for adoption...":newpalm::vbrolleyes:

raspabalsa, r0k, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

That's how I felt during my time using an LG V10. If it was still working I'd not want to replace it with any of the current offerings. Before its death I wished it would last 4 years, since it so well covered my needs. I'm looking for a replacement, but I don't feel much enthusiasm about newer models.

RickAgresta, r0k, lelisa13p and 4 others like this.