IRC Clients for Wi-Fi-enabled Palms?

Discussion in 'Email/Messaging (Palm OS)' started by Strife89, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

This'll be short: I have searched all over for a decent IRC client for Palm OS devices, as I have recently acquired a TX (at last!). I have had minimal luck. Are there any good clients out there? Are any of them free?

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

A lot of people here have recommended both Mundu Messenger and IM+. I picked Mundu, because it was much cheaper and IM+ didn't seem to do anything (or look) all that much better.

http://www.shapeservices.com/en/products/details.php?product=im

http://im.mundu.com/

Oops. It looks like IM+ added Twitter functionality. I don't think Mundu Messenger does that. And Mundu has been discounted to $3 for some time now.

4. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

5. hal

Well, all you people, lemme add that in my ignorance, I used to think IRC was dead tech. Not quite, I reckon.

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Me too. I used to use mIRC a fair amount back in my dial-up days, back when everyone had an IRC channel and bots were all the rage, but I haven't seen one in many years.

7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Actually the friend on whose linux server my domain is hosted has a private IRC channel. I just connect to the server with Putty and run a script from my home directory in console mode.

Occasionally on my TX I would use TuSSH to do the same thing-- wasn't the best experience and I remember it being a little flakey, but it worked after awhile.

8. Strife89

Strife89 Always Struggling

For those wondering, I hang out on Freenode (irc.freenode.com:6667) quite a bit, in ##linux, ##windows, #rockbox-community, and #ubuntu. All of those channels are quite active. :)

The only IRC client I've found so far that works properly on the TX is upIRC, but unfortunately it's shareware.

9. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

As further proof that I know absolutely nothing, I fully thought that IM would eventually displace texting as more and more people had web-enabled smartphones. Why pay for text plans (at outrageous rates), when one can use IM for 'free' (since most times one has to get a data plan most of the time anyway). If all your friends have IM capability and there are so many nice 'messaging suites' that organize and aggregate all ones IM'ing, why not?

If Google Buzz catches on, IM might get a boost. If your social networking, email, chat, VOIP, etc. are eventually in one place; it just might make sense.

10. hal

Hehehe, I never used IRC to the point of considering myself a regular in any community.

Geez, I insist, I was dead wrong when thinking it was like talking about the telegraph. Come to think of it, the telegraph hasn't died either :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback. Not me, but somebody else is wondering the same thing in order to put it to work. FWIW, maybe you've noticed that the Brighthand's Google rank is pretty high, or we review things that nobody else is wondering about currently. Google this subject and this very thread of yours will pop in the first 10.

Well, Varjak, your forecast hasn't proven right, but it hasn't proven wrong, yet. There is a future to come. In the US you people suffer of some wrongly SMS illness that makes this tech ludicrously expensive, while in the rest of the world people save millions of bucks by texting instead of attempting any other form of comm; in fact, I recently saw a no-mic, no-speaker ultradumbphone, intended just for texting. That said, most of the other features of the mobile services are way down in price in the US, against the worlwide trend, maybe with the sole exceptions of Guatemala and China (and in the latter, personal comms are subsidized, so it just counts if you wish to).

I have foreseen that, opposing your forecast, it's texting what will eventually replace the rest, but it's happening right now, so it doesn't count as my forecast, actually. In the near future, as data plans drop price, I bet it's your forecast that will turn out real.

I totally agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.