iPod Touch - Good PDA Replacement for Palm Z22?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by ZzBloopzZ, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZzBloopzZ

ZzBloopzZ Mobile Enthusiast

My GF currently owns a Palm Z22. She uses it daily to organize her life. However, her new laptop is Windows 7 64-bit which the Palm does not support. This is a big problem as she cannot sync with Outlook anymore, thus I am planning to get her an iPod Touch for Christmas.

She uses her Palm for tasks/notes, calendar, and contacts. She also uses an app called Due Yesterday to keep track of school.

Now I already know the touch will sync with Outlook calender/contacts. However, does it have any good apps for tasks/notes? An alarm for due dates would be nice. Most especially, is there a good alternative for the Due Yesterday application?

Is it just as efficient to type notes on the touch compared to the old school stylus, once you get used to it?

Grateful for any feedback! I would like to order it soon if it is a great match for her.

2. DragonHunter

DragonHunter Bow, bow, bow, bow

I recently migrated from a Palm TX to a Touch and have been quite happy. I know there are some "assignment tracking" type apps out there for it, but since that isn't my thing, I can't really comment on any of them. There are several good options for tasks and notes. The built-in calendar is decent, though some may want somehting more robust, and options exist.

Typing is okay on it. I've got big old fingers and I can manage.

I think you'll get some big points with a Touch. ;)

3. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

I personally use Appigo's ToDo for my Tasks. I use Awesome Notes for my Notes. It also intergrates with Appigo's ToDo.:newpalm: Appigo's Todo has push notification ability for alarms and stuff. You may also look at PockeInformant. I have heard some good things about that also.

As far as Due Yesterday, I am not sure, bbut I would be TOTALLY surprised if there was not something at least close to it. You may check out iHomework.:confused:

With 100,000 apps I am willing to bet that you will be able to find something that will fit her needs.;) As far as typing goes, the iTouch keyboard is, IMHO, a vastly better input method than the stylus. The auto-correct and landscape keyboard are wonderful. We can argue about a physical keyboard later.:rolleyes: :D

4. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

I have an iPhone, but six of one, half doz the other.....

For what your GF wants to do, the Touch will be head & shoulders over that Z22. I went from a Z34 to LifeDrive to iPhone, and I found the iPhone to be superior to even that.

As far as that assignment tracking app, the one that makes me wish I were a student again is iStudiez Pro. Despite the stupid name, it has a killer interface with calendar & assignment tracking and even push notifications. The average rating is 4 stars, but all the reviews on top are 5 stars (maybe sorted that way?) Anyway, for $3 it looks like a deal.

5. ZzBloopzZ

iPod Touch it is! Thanks for the great feedback guys.

Found a brand-new, NIB 2nd Gen 16GB iPod Touch for $175. Comes with receipt for warranty purposes too. I love Craigslist!

I know the 3rd gen is out now but the 3rd gen 8GB is the same hardware as the 2nd gen... so mind as well get more storage. I can't afford the 3rd gen 32/64GB, which are the ones that have faster processor and new OpenGL.

6. DragonHunter

That's the same unit I have...I think she'll be thrilled at the increased capacity over the Zire.

7. DTM

DTM ---

If that 2G unit is really NIB, it will have the version 2 firmware on it. Be sure to include an iTunes gift card for $5 (I think) so she can upgrade to the current version.

She'll love it.

8. DragonHunter

Oh, yeah...good call DTM....seems like it was a $5 upgrade.

9. ZzBloopzZ

My friend works at Apple and said he can upgrade to the new software for me for free, so that's not a problem.

Thanks for looking out though. I kinda want this darn thing for myself now!!! It looks so freakin cool.

10. DragonHunter

What, he can get you free software but not hardware? ;) bummer!

Not trying to sound like a fanboy, but I have been rather impressed by it myself.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.