iPhone's PIM lockdown

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by questionfear, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Yep, I don't think that's the Apple direction either, case in point the Mac to PC ads! A clear strategy to increase the Apple desktop/laptop sales, but also with intel inside give PC users the option to not re-purchase software, that is one can integrate both worlds.

That in mind, ...
    @r0k, Right on, Hal beat me to it, yes the iPod strategy is a clear indication that given Intel inside, and Apple's precedent of making it easy for PC users to use iTunes, I can see a day when BB can sync via MMe or other.

It appears to me that the real issue is coming to market with a product that works, and works better than what's out there. For instance, look how long it took to get push working right just in the all Apple environment! :eek:

Can you imagine the fallout of saying you can sync your BB and the experience sucks! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think that there are some real compatibility issues that Apple engineers have not been able to work out to Steve's satisfaction to open up the ITS world to BB's. IMHO :p ... And back to QF's original post, I equally believe that there is something engineering wise that keeps Apple from rolling out the PIM killer. I base that on the killer apps that the iPhone has so far, not killer with regard to new technology, but killer versus user-friendly, user-experience, and design,
    • browser
    • touch screen
    • iPod
    • push email (not the true BB experience, but darn impressive nonetheless)
    • phone quality and dialing (forgetting one hand use for the moment)
    • virtual keyboard (true "tweakers" don't like it, but the darn thing sells iPhones)
    • thin and cool! LOL :D

Handsdown, as Hal eludes to these are the new bar that others are trying to emulate. I have this feeling that todo's, etc. just were not up to the standard of "killer" above, thus Apple needed more time IMHO, to avoid a MMe disaster.

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Oh, well, I wasn't being elusive over it, I just didn't take it into account, unfair omision, I admit. One big thing over the iPod Touch/iPhone is that it's gotta have one of the, if not the most, user-friendly interface of recent times. I am also forgiving that its very nature is not appealing for an easy one handed use, for the Palm indeed shares such origin, notwithstanding the fact that in the Palm smartphones such ergonomic factor was acceptably solved. And you're totally right, now Apple is a trendsetter over user interface; just everybody is giving the best shot trying to imitate the iPod Touch/iPhone interface, sometimes just in the appearance, sometimes trying to reach into its dynamic performance.

I even dare to remember that, by no means, the iPod Touch/iPhone is the first example in which Apple established a benchmark over visual design and form factor, and user interface. Dating back to the mid 80's, the very spur that led Microsoft into this Windows era that r0k hates up to the verge of colitis, was the Mac OS of those times, so simple, so effective, and even then, so untweakable (I was an MS-DOS tweaker of the time, but couldn't get past the shell in the Macs at school, and moved so-so in UNIX -- PalmGeek, stop the laughters). The NeXT saga, the Apple spinoff due to Job's disagreements with the board, led to a substancial development of the computers we addressed as "multimedia" (ha ha, now it sounds sooo old), even though it didn't spark such era. In the early 2000's, the Mac computers led everybody to build & decorate things and thingies with opaque white and colored translucent plastics, including the Palm Zire saga; an homage to vomit and kitsch if you allow me the expression ( :mad: ), but the fact is everybody fell for the trend. When the iPod came in, in late 2001, again, everybody was willing to build portable things in the bathroom-white-tile fashion of the first iPods. And, here comes for the times in turn, the iPod Touch/iPhone. I'm even sure I'm missing examples in this list.

3. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

If I chose to set it up that way, I could automate every single process I ever do with batch files or free programs from M$ and third parties (which would eliminate batch files except for more complicated scripts, such as running two or three apps and files from one shortcut, which could be launched as a part of another batch file or shortcut). The only software I've paid for so far is Acronis TrueImage, and antivirus (a few years ago - current one is from GAOTD), PS, and M$Office. Everything is free, and a bunch of it is open source. :) Between devices, WM and Palm OS (at least with XP) can be completely seamless if you set it up and don't rely 100% on autoconfigging...
    M$ never promised me anything, I've only bought one used CD with M$ software on it, and it runs exactly as I want it to, not Jobs or Rubenstein or whoever. My 4-5 year old Dell desktop I got at a yard sale for $100 runs as well as the Apple dude's $1800 Macbook Air. :cool: :rolleyes: Grand total for me: about $600 or so in hardware and software, including a bunch of games; grand total for him: let's see... $1800 for the MBA, he's got about $100 in software for it, and he's got a few USB things for it for a total of nearly $2100. :p He still has to use his dad's Windoes desktop to do anything with MSOffice, BTW. He doesn't want to buy a copy of Office for Mac, too.

4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

The way things go, maybe we all end up working for you in a handful of years :)
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Was there a picture about a horse in another thread, I think? Now that's for the Apple dude today.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

5. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

PG, If he knew what he was doing (which it sounds like he doesn't) all he would have to do is pay $80 for iWorks and he could do anything he want to do. He would have no need for MacOffice. He also does not not need all of the USB thingies.

<Of course I can not believe a parent would buy a teenager a MacAir. Each to his own I suppose.>

6. r0k

r0k Dazed

I stopped in Best Buy today and took a look at the new Al Macbook. It is a thing of beauty. I never thought my white Macbook looked cheap. Until today. There was a white Macbook next to the new Al one and the whitebook looked very toy-like. That's ok. What I care about is what's inside: OS X.

My daughter's new high school is forcing us to buy her a $2000 hp tablet PC. The only redeeming quality is that they are wiping Vista and putting XP on the thing. I asked them about giving here a Macbook. Heck, for that money, I'd rather give her a MBP. It would be a much better value.

So while I'm horrified at giving a teenager a $1700 MBA, I'm even more horrified that my daughter's school is making us give her a $400 windows tablet but they are charging us $2000 for it. :( If they let me, I plan to get her a Macbook instead. I might even let them load their "standard windows image" on the thing under bootcamp, just don't make me invest that amount of money in anything from hp :eek:

7. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

USB thingies = USB CD drive and external mouse and stuff like that. BTW, he managed to break his Air. He said he was getting up and pushed on the lid while it was closed and the screen cracked. I thought it'd be stronger than that since it was aluminum, but he said it was more like a tin can than armor plated. :rolleyes:

8. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

sorry, I meant elude as to "you were pointing the conversation that direction." ;)

yeah especially without some instruction, it sounds like a classic student getting a maserati to drive 2 miles to school! :p

No that doesn't work, how about ... ;)

BTW, there are several FREE apps out there for Mac here's an example, NeoOffice

dang r0k, we have a school that does that but,
    1. it is part of tuition
    2. it is loaded with apps that cost about $1,500, and totally school support and IT: MSOffice, EndNote, McAfee, Photoshop, Adobe Suite, etc. ...

maybe, that's what they are doing, eh?

I have a hard time believing that he's telling you the truth my dear PG! I've dropped my MBP, granted older, and several friends have dropped their white MB's and no damage. Sounds like he stood on it.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of any sharp Mac users that could kind of kick your bud in the butt? :D

9. r0k

r0k Dazed

Yeah. It's stuff they "say" is worth a lot of money. Come on. I would never pay for MS office with my eyes open. And antivirus? If they were using Mac, that wouldn't be a factor. Why not AVG? It is a school after all. And they've got money lying around to throw at McAffee? Please.

They also include a replacement plan that will replace or repair the machine if it breaks up to 1 incident per year for the four years she is in high school. Still... I just got the last windows box the heck outa here and I'm not eager to bring that crap back under my roof! :mad:

10. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

right on, I'd talk to their IT, at my university the prof's get both choices, and even Bootcamp support. Actually you could probably do all the support yourself eh? Bootcamp doesn't require anything like Dave to connect to servers via wifi eh? How hard could it be just settings. Shoot my son's prep school does everything via special myspace sites and internet, no tech support though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.