iPhone's PIM lockdown

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by questionfear, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

Wow. That's the best explanation I've seen so far. ;) Do you mind if I use it on the Apple fanboy who knows nothing Apple other than its logo? :rolleyes:

2. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

well, keep in mind that's just one plausible theory, I totally agree with GL w/r to contracts and Apple making a ton of money through ITS, fees, etc., but I disagree w/r to his argument, that is, just because this is true,

does not imply that,
    I just don't buy that :eek: ! Here's my humble rebuttal.

1. The explosion in iPhone sales does not support such a theory. Even with the "fanboy" factor, why are folks fanboys, because of a perception that Apple sells coolest and best gotta have consumer friendly just works stuff that I seriously need, and this after skipping over the other options that AT&T, Verizon, etc. is claimed to "knowing" I need, hmmm ...
    2. Also consider, given that Apple broke with the other vendors and picked its own terms with AT&T, Orange, Vodafone, and countless others, in some cases being sued to conform. Apple is conforming w/r to making money, but not conforming w/r to cell phone business as usual.
    3. Hence, what I see going on with ITS, for instance, is not Apple cultivating content to fit "developers ideas of what consumers will buy," rather at worst what Apple wants consumers to buy based on exactly what consumers will buy, *control* that doesn't reveal or hinder their future game plans, QF's original contention. Case in point, it was consumers habits that triggered Apple getting in the business e.g., SMS and Surfing, eh? EDIT: oh yeah, video and playing games, Jobs said, "Darn, we're good at that, pump it boys we're going into smartphones!"
    4. Further, water is still under the bridge, due to Apple's secrecy just how they decided, or knew that 33% of US smartphone market consumers would go for a phone without a keyboard? But they have! Market research or developers? What is the evidence that developers told Apple what to produce, that would completely fly in the face of the Steve Jobs we've learned to love and ... uh ... hate. :rolleyes:
    5. Lastly, the fact that everyone else is scrambling to catch up to the "touchscreen" experience, is a point in favor of Apple being ahead of the curve w/r to knowing what consumers want, irrespective of developers agendas.

I yield the rest of my time to ... :p

3. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Here's why people buy iPhones IMO:

Advertising budget vs. their competition.

Fear of not being cool.

Already had an iPod.

4. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Well said B, Well Said!:newpalm:

This is a basic sales. <This comes from a guy that makes his living selling things.> In general people/consumers, will not buy things they do not want or think have value. Apple and their developers may control what they give people, how they give it to them, and what the people can do with it afterwards, but they give people things they want. Why do you think Apple is growing sooooo much while other major platforms, except RIM, are declining. Apple is giving most people, not all, what they want. Palm and others are not.

I do not subscribe to the notion that it is "just because it is an Apple". Case in point: Mac Mini and Apple TV. Both nice products, but the majority of people do not want them. Hoards of people are not buying Apple TV the way they are buying the iPhone because they want the iPhone and not the Apple TV.

I do not totally disagree with DT either. Some will want to buy to be cool, but it has to be cool first or the desire will not be there.:cool:

5. brickman65

OH! and to get back on topic.;)

I agree with QF basic theory. I do think Apple is working on a editing docs, ToDo, Memos, etc.

Why? Because that is what people are beginning to ask for. I do not know when we will get it, but I believe we will. If Apple does not give the masses this, what they want, Apple will begin to see their sales slip just like Palm, Windows Mobile, etc.

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

EXACTLY! And more importantly, they'll find a way to make it that much better if you are on a mac...they want as many macs as possible in people's hot little hands.

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish

This is the Microsoft approach to everything from office file formats to HTML. Embrace a standard. Extend the standard. Extinguish the standard with some proprietary solution that requires everyone to pay a ransom to Microsoft to obtain the content locked away in a file. This is particularly easy to see with Publisher. Publisher flies beneath the radar of corporate IT types who insist that file formats do not change every 18 months. The most obvious evidence of this is when you try to export from publisher to word and obtain jibberish. You would think these 2 programs couldn't possibly come from the same company. They do. This is how Microsoft protects it's family jewels: The requirement to buy their software.

Apple, OTOH has a different family jewel to protect: The requirement to buy their hardware. They will write whatever software is required to lure people to the mac and try to keep them. When developers walked away from MacOS, Apple sat down and wrote iWork, iLife and other excellent apps to win users to the platform and keep them. iPhone and Mobile Me are other tools in this same arsenal. Except that now, Apple hardware isn't just Macs any more. It's Macs, iPhone and iPod and to a lesser extent AppleTV.

I have a Blackberry. It integrates very well with Windows but not so well with OS X. I think this is the beginning of a disturbing new trend. Now that Apple is simultaneously trying to protect the turf of it's computing platform AND it's phone platform AND its ipod platform AND its AppleTV platform, what incentive does Apple have to make my Blackberry sync seamless? Remember the days when Microsoft was accused of writing malware to make Wordperfect unstable? It was never proven, but there were some dastardly tactics used like formatting HTML exported from word so it was purposely obfuscated and only properly viewable in Internet Explorer.

I'm no more willing to walk around with an iPhone, iPod, use an Apple Computer, eat iFood, wear iSocks, drive an iCar and breathe iAir than I would be willing to do the same with Microsoft products. At some point all this megalomania has to cease. I would like to believe that all of Apple's efforts are still aimed at winning users to their platform and keeping them, but I'm more and more worried that their efforts more and more often are aimed at making every platform their platform. I'm less worried about this with Apple's high quality excellent end to end user experience philosophy than I would be with Microsoft's bloat philosophy but the trend is disturbing nonetheless.

Whatever Apple does with docs, memos, etc on iPhone, I hope it doesn't further break the ability for me to sync my Blackberry with iCal, etc and MobileMe. I wouldn't be surprised if it does. All business tries to grow. Growth can be healthy and leads to long lasting stable companies who can afford to stand behind their products. It only becomes a cancer when the company tries to take over the whole world. I hope Apple doesn't mutate into a business cancer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. brickman65

I hope they do not mutate into a cancer either r0k. That would take some of the luster for them out of my eye.

A question for you though. Do you think that it is Apple that needs to play nice with Rim, or is it RIM that needs to play nice with Apple? OR... is it Apple that needs be sure that third party apps can be written to allow Rim syncing? (ie MSync).

I guess it would the later?:confused: It would certainly benefit Apple to allow BB users easy syncing to Macs, considering how many BBs are out there.

9. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

No Apple lust from me, but it would suck if they turned into the new Microsquash and stopped giving a rip.
    Don't think the 'you' was directed to me, but I think Apple should allow any app to be written for Macs, especially games, emulators, etc. If (there's that magic word - if :rolleyes:; I'm beating the pudding horse again...) that happens with RIM, I hope it also happens (the good sync app, preferable free) with WM.
    It would help, but you do have to remember, the vast majority of BB users (from what I've seen) haven't the slightest clue there are games other than the Brick Breaker that comes with it, let alone that they can sync it. :rolleyes:

@ r0k: I don't have any problems with file formats, and I'm running Office 2002, Photoshop CS3, Paint.NET, OpenOffice.org, and a multitude of other programs without a single file format incidence, with Windoes updates, well, ever. :) PDN has a PS .psd plugin, OOo can open MSOffice documents and save as MSOffice docs (Older versions of MSO have a 2007 compatibility update for free), and the only problem is that .pdb is both "palm database file" and "program debug database". ATM, the C++ compiler is a lot more useful than Quick Install (no Palms that work or still sync).

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

No problem with file formats, palmgeek5394? That's because you use OOO. But if you try to open an MS Publisher file, it might be 97, 98, 2000, 2002, 2003 or 2007. And none of these is backward compatible. So you are at 2002 which means there are at least 2 versions you cannot open without sending money to uncle Bill. Word, OTOH, is under the watchful eye of corporate IT people who pitch a fit if the format changes and their users are bullied into buying software just to exchange information. That's why 97, 98, 2000, 2003 are all the same doc and xls file format and the only real change started with 2007 which introduced docx and xlsx and half a dozen other new formats. We were running the compatability update at my office with 2003 and we were sometimes running into file format problems.

Do you work with word documents with a dozen spreadsheets embedded? Powerpoint with word and excel embedded? M$ software really shows its limitations when you push it in certain areas. At one point, we had an excel spreadsheet that had about 2 dozen other documents embedded and was about 16 meg. It finally crashed and we had to roll back 2 versions to recover all the embedded data, some of which was 3 levels deep. Never again. One level deep maximum and everything goes in a big zip file for distribution. That's at the office.

I work with a volunteer organization. One of our members kept up a newsletter for several years in publisher format. They had a computer crash and could not find the cd. They had been using a 2000 version but all we could find was a 97 or perhaps it was 98 cd. No good. We had to go out and purchase a replacement 2000 cd so we could get access to all those files. I vowed to never let this happen again. When somebody tells me they use MS word, excel or powerpoint, I say no big deal. When they tell me they use Publisher or Frontpage, I go ballistic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.