iPhone X versus Galaxy S9 (for move to Verizon)

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by Mitlov, Mar 6, 2018.

?

Which should be my next phone?

1. iPhone X

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Galaxy S9

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Hi all, hope everybody is doing well!

I previously posted about the iPhone 8 versus Galaxy S8 versus Pixel 2 for a potential move to Verizon from US Cellular (http://forum.brighthand.com/threads/moving-to-verizon-pixel-2-galaxy-s8-iphone-8.292850/), but ended up delaying the move a bit because none of the three really lit my fire. I'm now getting ready to make that move, and the question in my mind is now iPhone X versus Galaxy S9. Pixel 2 is off the table, despite its great camera, because of the various quality control issues and the omission of some stuff I'd really like, like wireless charging.

I've historically been an Android guy, but never the flash-a-custom-ROM variety, instead using the devices as they come out the box with Nova Launcher. However, I can also use iOS; I have a $329 iPad as my primary media tablet. I primarily use my phone for email, camera (it's my primary camera for family photos), media watching on the go, and mobile gaming.

Biggest advantages of the iPhone as I see them:
    * Prompt security and OS updates for several years, without carrier or OEM interference.
    * Third-party developers develop for this OS first, and third-party-app quality control tends to be best on this OS. For example, Alto's Odyssey and Thumper are currently iOS-only, and Banner Saga always ran better on iOS than Android, and I'll lay money that Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition runs far better on iOS than its sometimes-sluggish Android port.
    * Historically, Apple's biometric authentication has been more likely to recognize me on the first try than Samsung's.
    * It's different. I've owned multiple Galaxy S flagships, but never owned an iPhone before.

Biggest advantages of the S9 as I see them:
    * Bigger screen for media consumption and lots of visible text (especially if I get the Plus model; there's no iPhone X Plus at the moment).
    * Headphone jack. The dongle life isn't a dealbreaker for iOS, but it is certainly a downside.
    * Since I already have a high-speed 256gb microSD card, there's a several-hundred-dollar advantage to getting the S9 over the large-storage iPhone X (especially if you add a fast-charger and a 3.5mm headphone dongle or two to the price of the iPhone X).
    * Totally subjective, but I like the look and form factor better. I like the curved edges (even if they're not functional), and the iPhone notch annoys me in landscape mode.
    * I think it has a wider-angle front-facing camera? Most of my full-family photos are selfies, so this actually matters a lot.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

guywolffe, scjjtt, raspabalsa and 4 others like this.
  2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

to the best of my knowledge, only iPhones on Verizon will receive regular, timely updates -- that includes security updates. which means I am more at risk, using my Galaxy S5, than any one else in my family (on iPhones).

as for the external storage advantage, aren't there dongles for iPhones, to read thumb-drives, and the like?

regardless of your choice, best luck, and let us know how it all works out :newpalm:

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I thought that recent Galaxy S devices on Verizon were at least getting monthly security updates, even if OS updates were slow in terms of adding new features? Since Android is a pretty mature OS at this point, I'm not so concerned about prompt OS updates, but I am concerned about prompt security updates (I get maybe one security update per year from US Cellular, and it's been that way since the S7 was released).

For external storage, a dongle or thumb drive doesn't really compare to a microSD slot. I've had a 256gb microSD card in my S7 Edge since the day I got it; I would go nuts if I had a dongle permanently dangling off my phone, and had to unplug it every time I plugged in headphones or a charging cable. So if I go iPhone X, it'd be the large-capacity version.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Just today a friend of mine pre-ordered the S9+ , to be delivered by the end of the month. Both it and the S9 are impressive devices, spec- and design - wise. He also briefly considered the iPhone X, but I convinced him otherwise for the large screen, removable storage, and headphone jack. He was undecided between the S9 and S9+ mostly because he's never used a large phone, so I decided to give him a hand:

s9g6.jpg

That's a size accurate cardboard model of the S9+ next to my LG G6. He tried it for size, it fit his front pants pocket just fine, and he's been carrying it around for fun. It doesn't look or feel too large, and it's a comfortable hold. He already placed his order. I hope I'll have some hands-on time once he receives it.

Personally I'd find it very hard to migrate to iPhone Not for the rooting/jailbreaking (been un rooted the last 2 years) but for availability of options and the investment in apps I've made for me and my family.

Good luck with your decision, Mitlov.

5. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I'm in the same scenario. I've flirted with iOS before but since so many Android flagships are doing the same thing (getting rid of memory card support and headphone jacks) I've thought about it again. I was going to buy a 6S Plus; but I think it's too old and after reading the preview of what's coming for Apple, I may hold off to fall. Cheaper prices and X-style iPhones throughout the range.

By the way, I seem to remember Lelisa wanting a bigger iPhone X and now it looks like it may be coming.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Yeah, I think I'd prefer the theoretical iPhone X Plus to the normal-sized X, but (1) I'm not sure I want to wait that long (I've had connectivity problems on my last two business trips that actually caused me some real inconvenience), and (2) I'm not even sure I want to know how much it will cost to buy an iPhone X Plus + upgraded storage + fast-charger.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Mitlov - reading your points & understanding your primary phone use it seems to me that the S9 would definitely be the most economical way to go IMHO.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

After the whole issue of Apple slowing down devices with degraded batteries was exposed, I can't say I'd think twice about stabbing Apple through the heart, and tossing them into the circular file. My wife is battling with a degraded battery on her iPhone, and it has become a safety issue. A degraded battery on Android? You just have shorter use time. A degraded battery on iPhone? Your apps suck and don't work and you have a safety issue. 3 tries to make a phone call connect? Mapping software just sits there and spins and never loads? Screw Apple. Never again...

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I agree, it was a poor choice. I understand what they were trying to do (trade off having the phone last a bit longer and slowing down functionality); but if it reached the point where apps weren't functional, that's a bad choice. The simple thing would have been to have a pop-up give you various options such as slowing the processor, dimming the screen, etc. to prolong battery life. Even better would be a thicker phone and a removable battery...

scjjtt, headcronie and Hook like this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It was a great move for Apple, considering how many people bought a new $900 phone instead of buying an $80 battery and extending their replacement cycle by another year or two.

I'm just surprised they haven't gotten more flak than they have from the Apple faithful for it, considering that one of the big arguments for Apple is that they have software updates for longer than Android devices do, thus allowing for longer replacement cycles.

All that said, as someone who has owned a recalled Note 7 and an S7 Edge with the pink line defect and a Samsung washing machine recalled for loose lids that can shake free and break an owner's jaw...if I'm willing to consider another Samsung product, I'd be silly to boycott Apple as a brand over that one SNAFU. I'm looking at it strictly as which device is better for my needs, not which company is a "better company."