iPhone VoiceNotes trouble, Help?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by berylrb, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

OK, so I downloaded a free app <LOL berylrb chuckles, "there's my real problem">

It appears that the only way to get the recorded sound file off the iPhone is to use their sync feature, which requires wifi (got that) and inputting a IP address, after downloading a desktop client.

Did that error, after about 10 minutes time, a 45 minute file. I'm trying again now ... Is there another way to grab a file off the iPhone? Could network activity cause a glitch for such an app?

2. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

yeah crashed again "an error occured while communicating with the voicesyncnotes server"

I have another freebie EconoNote LIte which requires an FTP server, shoot.

Fortuneately I used my videocamera to record to, the iPhone was just my backup. I guess my solution for a backup will be to buy a $50 micro-recorder.

I'm in the process of collecting research data, conversations, and today was my first conversation. Primary recorder worked great, backup sucked.

3. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Ah interesting ... the plot thickens, upon closing the sync app and the partially downloaded files CAF format appeared, but they were like only partial, something is interfering, I'll try later when family has gone to sleep.

what's CAF format? will I be able to use this in powerpoint or keynote? Hmm ...

4. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

OK, so I turned off everything but airport and it appears that the iPhone craps out at the same spot, about 28 minutes, I'm starting to suspect ... *cough* ... human error mine!

So I'll try another long recording, say of a TV program just to test.

5. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

So you want an app that will make long recordings? Like a pocket tape recorder?

If you want just to make short recordings, allow me to point you to something that is still free but enormously more useful: Evernote.

You don't need a desktop app, although they have one and its very useful, and syncing with their servers is OTA, either by cell or wifi. Now, I've done a cell sync of a photo note once and it did take a few minutes, and I've never used the voice note feature. Nevertheless, Evernote is darn good service for no money. Their name is their URL.

6. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

sounds good, so how does the evernote get to the desktop?

yeah, but I have plenty of space, 8 GB free ... I thought since the iPhone worked flawlessly with my LAN w/r to internet usage, that it would flawlessly transfer too? :confused:

BTW, I take back my human error, the full 45 minutes plays fine on the iPhone.

7. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Dump that, I'm just going to use the camera to record in conjunction with the apple remote app, which allows me to control iTunes play back with the iPhone while transcribing in Word. Not as good as a foot pedal on a tape recorder, but I can save and back up much much easier.

For research I only need 8-12 conversations that's only 4-6 GB, LOL :p

8. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Sorry for the delay in reply, beryl.

Evernote is a Web 2.0 service, so your notes, either from desktop or iPhone, are synced with your online acct. So fire up the Evernote desktop app, it syncs, and you have the notes you may have created on the iPhone. Likewise fire it up on the iPhone and anything you created in the desktop app appears there. There's a browser interface, too, so if you're on a machine that doesn't have the desktop app, you can reference your notes and create new ones. I love it and I'm not the only one.

Oh, and importantly, its not a push service, but they're working on it.

A guy I know pointed out that Griffin Technology apparently makes a voice recorder app that he likes. Can't remember the name of the app, but their URL is their name.

9. Guest

Guest Has Bad Feeling About This

Griffin makes iTalk, which is free and nicely designed.

Just out of curiosity... did you keep the iPhone awake during these failed sync attempts? I find that my iPhone always keeps wanting to time-out and go to sleep during long transfer operations, which inevitably causes the operation to fail, so I have to "twiddle" it occasionally to keep it awake.

10. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

thanks guest and RobbM two choices!

Yes Guest, I did allow the iPhone to go to sleep, I didn't know I could cancel that ... oh yeah, i see, settings/general/auto-lock

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.