iPhone Sync., Mobile Me is good? Other choices?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by jeff_ken, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff_ken

jeff_ken Newbie

Hello.

I just brought an iPhone.

People told me that iPhone can sync my emails, calenders, contacts and tasks; that was the reason I picked it.

After I had it, just found out I still need MobileMe for sync.

Is any one using it tells me it is good or not? I read their website, it seems like it can sync your @me.com account, but how about emails, tasks, contacts or calenders from my other current accounts? And is it really take 15 minutes for push mail?

Beside MobileMe, any other services doing similar things?

Some people told me there maybe some ways to work it around for free, but I am not too good on technical or programming stuffs. If the cost is not too high, I wanna save time of doing it. I am tired of using a cable to "active sync" my old Win. Mobile phone. I want something can sync by itself wireless.

Thanks!!!
  2. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

WinMo can sync via BT wirelessly. You only need a cable to charge. I haven't touched a USB cable since I first synced it.

I have heard that the iPhone's bluetooth is crippled and does not allow pairing with anything other than BT headsets, but can still sync to iTMS via BT. I don't know how that would work, so I'm not much help there. I think you need to use the cable to sync with your computer. Hopefully an iThing user can clarify what the iThings can and can't do with BT.

I don't use MobileMe (I also despise iTunes - don't ask.), but I have heard that it's not "push" like BlackBerries. It's like Windows Mobile and Palm OS in that it asks the server if there are any new emails, etc. and syncs with the server cloud every fifteen minutes or a usually user-configurable interval. I don't know if you can use anything other than MobileMe or .Mac on the iPhone. Again, hope an iPhone user can clarify.

ActiveSync for WM is terrible. But iTMS is just as bad, IMO.
  3. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

welcome to BH jeff_ken!

iPhone is my only phone and PIM and I use the whole she-bang, MMe, iCal, etc. on a Mac, is it good it's the best, but again I'm a mac user. YMMV

Whoa, whoa! Sync your other accounts? By other accounts do you mean POP or IMAP accounts, like Yahoo.com? If so iPhone will fetch those too, just like a desktop checking your mail. It won't sync them.

Now if you are talking address, contacts, etc. yes for wireless syncing you need MMe or something like that PalmGeek suggested ActiveSync for the WM device, every device needs something for iPhone it is MMe, again for wireless.

Of course you could use a cable too, you just need the provided USB cable and iTunes installed on your computer, link

On a Mac one can wirelessly use iSync as well, is there such an app on the PC?

Well, no and yes.

iPhone, No ... iPhone => push, for .me account, iCal, and Addressbook, all others up to 15 minutes.

However, I have found in real-time use that that for other accounts e.g., yahoo.com, as soon as I wake the iPhone mail is fetched automatically, often I get it on the phone before I do on my desktop.

Yes, I've heard of several "jailbroke" apps that allow free wireless syncing, but I think they also require like linux, maybe a jail breaker will be along.

yep, that might very well be what iSync is doing BT!

Again, yes and no iPhone => push, for .me account, iCal, and Addressbook, all others up to 15 minutes.

ActiveSync for WM is terrible. But iTMS is just as bad, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that some people experience sync issues on windows machines using iTunes due to other bandwidth issues like firewalls, etc. ;)
  4. Chris_009

Chris_009 Call me Chris

palmgeek5394 and berylrb gave you many good tips already, just want to drop my 2 cents. :)

It seems like what you want the most is to sync your other current accounts (e.g. yahoo?) and push them on your iphone, right?

I have an iphone too and not using MME. If you ask for smiliar things as MME, there may be some services online that I dunno them all, but I am using PureInbox.

What it does is giving you an webmail account, then in there you can add your accounts and it will pull your mails from your accounts to their webmail account, then push to your iPhone. It's not bad, at least do all things online without installing anything on my phone.

I didn't count, but it seems like I don't have to wait for 15 minutes.

The thing I like is it also sync with my outlook, so my calendars, tasks, and contacts auto sync too, although you need to install a little program in your outlook.

But they doesn't tell you much in detail about how it works on their website, you have to signup to try before totally understand it. And their interface is not as simple & pretty as MME, it tooks me a little bit time to setup. Also, they do have online storage, but it cannot sync the music and photos as MME. And they charge about $12 per month (in CAD, so I guess they are in Canada), not sure it fits in your budget or not, at least you have one month free to try.

However, it's so far so good for me.

They claim they also support Win. Mobile & BB, and antispam......if you care.

Hope these can help you.
  5. Green Loontern

Green Loontern Gustatus similis pullus

I sync my iPhone 3G with my WinXP SP3 PC via cable using the iTunes app.

I set rules in my home e-mail account (Outlook Express) and my work e-mail account (Lotus Notes) to send a copy of incoming mail to my Google Mail account. The Mail app on my iPhone is set to pick up all my mail from there, and it works like a charm.

I have also consolidated all my contact information in Google Mail, where it is accessible through the iPhone Contacts app. That works like a charm too.

I haven't yet come up with a solution I like for my Calendar and Tasks info, so I continue to rely on my Palm T|X for that.
  6. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

So basically the same price except monthly pay plan vs MMe $99/annual for 20GB storage, 200GB transfer

BTW, I just realized today that if the iPhone is in standby/sleep mode, it does take about 15 minutes for non-me.com accounts, but as soon as I wake it up, say to check the weather, it will automatically push. I wonder if one keeps the phone plugged in if POP and IMAP accounts are push? Of course that is lousy for the battery eh? :p

Hey GL how does that work? Is it like using Safari on the iPhone to navigate to yahoo!mail, bascially the normal internet interface, or a iPhone specific GUI?
  7. jeff_ken

jeff_ken Newbie

Wow! Many helpers in here, thank you for all good info.

I tried using BT and iTune, but the problem is I have to be get close to my computer, and I always travel around, so looking for service to sync wirelessly while I am not at home or in office.

Yup! This is what I am looking for, sync my iPhone with my current email accounts for my yahoo, hotmail and work accounts when I am on the road.

Sounds good to me.

I don't really need to sync my photos or mp3, I care more on my emails, calendars, tasks, and contacts.

Thanks for that, I will take a look on PureInbox, it's not too bad for $12 (CAD, right?) a month if it can help me out; beside I don't have to pay all at once annually if I don't like it after I try it......right Chris?

Again, palmgeek5394, berylrb, Green Loontern, Chris_009, thanks for all helps!!! Glad that I am in BH. :D
  8. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Just to let you know MMe has a free 6 month trial! that's huge you might want to compare MMe to PureInbox, just a suggestion given the free trial, does PI have a free trial too?

The only reason I mention is is that you actually pay $44 more for PI vs MMe :D
  9. palmgeek5394

Oh, okay. I wasn't sure.

I don't use the actual store. It keeps taking over all of my file associations, and it lags just starting up to play a song, worse than even WMP. Apple software update reinstalls it, so I have to disable the updater and manually update QT.
  10. Green Loontern

Actually, no.

Tapping the Mail icon gets me the the iPhone Mail app interface, displaying all the same messages that are in my Gmail account.

Tapping Safari and navigating to Gmail gets the messages in the Gmail Mobile interface. (Curiously, choosing the Google "Classic" interface works for the Google search page, but when I navigate to Gmail it dumps me back into the Mobile version.)
  11. palmgeek5394

Same with PIE and Iris on WM.
  12. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

interesting that so it is not much different then simply viewing an IMAP or POP account in the Mail app, well not different at all. So what's the advantage over just setting up Gmail in settings/mail, .../accounts?
  13. Green Loontern

The advantages to viewing my Gmail account through the iPhone Mail app is that it seems to load a teeny bit faster, and the interface is cleaner, making it easier to quickly check my mail.

Conversely, the advantage to viewing my Gmail account through Safari on the iPhone is that it gives me the full range of message options to flag, archive, mark as (un)read etc., making it easier to perform maintenance on my account.

Nice to have the choice, really.
  14. jeff_ken

jeff_ken Newbie

Chris, you lied! On PureInbox!

It's $8.59, not $12.

You paid more? LOL
  15. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

LOL, 2$ less than MMe. :p

EDIT: bad math $3 more