iphone app, iPod touch, and GPS receiver

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by zacksba, Feb 5, 2011.

1. zacksba

zacksba Mobile Evangelist

I'm testing out a bluetooth gps receiver authorized and made for iphone. I have already verified it worked using my wifi only ipad (wifi off) and copilot navigation (works great actually). The receiver is model: GNS 5870 MFI. This is designed for non jailbroken devices.

I purchased the Geocaching app for my ipod touch and pulled in my pocket queries (500 caches) for offline viewing and navigation.

The problem I am having is that app does not want to connect to the GPSr. The only settings I see for gps in the app are using your device gps or home settings.

Anyone else using any third party gps receivers on a non jailbroken device that has success connecting to the receiver with the geocaching app? If so, can you tell me how you accomplished it.

Thanks for the help

2. grantorinosport

grantorinosport Mobile Evangelist

I have a holux m1200 I used with my palm TX. My iPod touch 4g won't recognize it, so that has actually become my sole reason to jailbreak.

3. ladariusfiona551

ladariusfiona551 Newbie

I think this might help you,follow these steps:

First: The bluetooth has to be switched on the GPSr and "paired" to the iTouch. This only has to be done the first time.

Second: The "Location Services" have to be set to "ON". The iTouch will replace the wifi method of determining location with the data suppled by the bluetooth GPSr

The GNS 5870 MFI works with the Topo Maps, PiGo (WHERIGO app), Geosphere (geocaching app) and the Maps app that came with the iTouch.