iPhone 6s vs. iPhone 6s Plus

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Ed Hardy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

A friend asked me for my opinion on whether to choose the iPhone 6s or the 6s Plus. I thought I'd share my thoughts with everyone:

The 6s Plus is a great device if you regularly read ebooks on your phone, or watch video. Or do you ever think the screen on your current device feels kind of cramped? It is a bit large, though, so you don't want to go for the Plus unless you are going to take advantage of the extra screen real estate.

Otherwise the 6s is fine for you. It's the one I chose because when I want a larger display I pull out my tablet.

You might consider dropping by a phone store to try out the 6s Plus and see what you think before deciding.

They have the same internals, so the major difference is in the screens. The 6s Plus not only has a larger one, it packs in even more pixels, so it has a higher number of pixels per inch. Does this matter? The screen on the 6s is wonderful, and the 6s Plus is spectacular. This is an area where you should compare them side-by-side to see if you notice the difference. I don't really because my eyes aren't that good.

Thinking long term, there's nothing about the 6s Plus that's going to make it better than the 6s in two years other than the larger display.

r0k and lelisa13p like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Wasn't there one other difference? Something like optical image stabilization or something only on the 6S+?

Edit: I did look it up and only the 6S Plus has the OIS for the back camera. Kind of a weird (and stupid if I may say) distinction to build in.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    lelisa13p, RickAgresta and r0k like this.
  3. r0k

r0k Dazed

For me the advantage of the plus series of iPhones is that they offer longer battery life. I hate the larger form factor but I'm considering a plus sized phone for my next upgrade if I continue to experience battery life issues with my daily usage pattern. I'm still using an iPhone 6 and I skipped the 6s because I heard it had an even smaller battery than the 6 does.

I have an unusual situation. I work in a basement office with absolutely no At&t signal whatsoever so my phone tries and tries to find a cell signal all day long despite the fact I have wifi calling enabled and we have (mostly) strong wifi here. I noticed battery issues before moving to this office but my issues are 5 times worse down here than they were before. I have a phone "wallet" I use for running. I wear it around my waist and my iPhone 6 barely fits. I wouldn't want to be forced to wear an even larger one to run with the 6+ or 6s+ but when the time comes to upgrade, I might opt for the larger phone to get longer battery life along with optical image stabilization.

Hook, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

r0k, have you tried using Settings > Battery > Low Power Mode ? There's a description at the toggle of what's minimized/disabled in order to prolong time between charges. My son turns it on when his iPhone 5 has a low charge and he's between opportunities for charging. (iOS 9.1.)

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

R0K, does iOS allow you to put it in Airplane mode and then turn on Wifi without taking it off APM? I would think Apple would have that. Android does that and it works very well when cell signals are weak but wifi signals are strong. My work situation is different. I have no signals of any kind, so the phone just goes into Airplane mode (no wifi) until I leave for the day.

lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  6. lelisa13p

Hook likes this.
  7. r0k

r0k Dazed

Yes it does. That's how I tested wifi calling in an area that had a good enough cell signal that wifi calling would not otherwise kick in. I go into APM then manually turn bluetooth and wifi back on. I then see At&t wifi instead of At&t with bars (on iOS it's really dots). Another thing I remind people to do is turn off the stoopid "wifi assist" in iOS that switches to cellular without warning, possibly in the middle of a gigabyte download if it "thinks" wifi is weak. :eek:

RickAgresta likes this.
  8. lelisa13p

Additionally, Wifi Assist is a potential data suck when it "forgets" to let go of cellular connection upon returning to wifi area. It's one of those ideas that looks good on paper but in reality, not so much.

r0k and RickAgresta like this.
  9. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Newbie

Size matters! I prefer the larger version not only to read books or watch videos. It is also incredibly usefull to do some work anywhere, checking emails for example is another experience in a 5,5 " display.

10. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Welcome to Brighthand, AshtonAsh. :vbsmile:

AshtonAsh likes this.