iPhone 6 on Verizon Prepay

Discussion in 'Verizon' started by Jerry_NJ, May 31, 2016.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Friend in NJ has a prepay with Verizon on her flip top (simple) cell phone. The contract allows unlimited texting (I believe, texting for sure) and per minute voice. She has been given an iPhone 6, don't know why, and I'd like to move her existing Verizon account over the the iPhone 6. Does the iPhone 6 work on Verizon CDMA? Is there any difference GSM and CDMA in 4th Generation interface anyway? Sorry if I'm mixing up, simple question is if the SIM fits can I simply move it over to the iPhone 6, if not, with the Verizon Store (brick and mortar) make move her account over to her iPhone 6? I understand older iPhones may need an "unlock".. not sure about the "6" model.

Welcome input including advice if my question does not make sense. Yes, we plan to stop in a Verizon store, but it is nice to know what to expect.

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

It's possible. Vrizon offers the iPhone 6 as a prepay phone. As long as the iPhone 6 she was given has the proper radios for Verizon, then they should allow it on Pre-Pay as a "bring your own phone." I assume iphone by now has all radios for all carriers rather than separate models, but I don't know that for sure. The plans she will be offered will start at $45/month for unlimited calls, texts and about 1.5GB data. She can purchase more data pretty reasonably if she doesn't spend a lot of time on wifi.

My wife has Verizon Pre-Pay but I've never tried to figure out how they use SIMs (I'm a GSM man myself).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  4. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, I still need to check out what her current prepay cell phone account is, she told me Verizon, but from what I remember I doubt it, or if it is it must be limited to fliptop as she said it has unlimited texting. No one sends much text using a fliptop, or seems that way to me and the reason I purchased a Nokia smart phone over a year ago to use on my AT&T GoPhone prepay. That charges me 20 cents a "window" for texting. The window holds about one line of test. Funny billing policy, I can attach a picture at little or no extra charge, picture requires much more data transfer than the associated text.

If Verizon. I'll ask she stop by a retail store ... I may go with her.

5. Hook

Most Pre-Pay plans include unllimited texts these days except for the very basic "you pay for everything you do" plans. Those aren't really "plans" that renew each month. So I assume you use that on AT&T and keep a balance in the account and pay for each phone call (25 cents/minute) and each text (20 cents a text) and use wifi only for data. If you don't make many calls or send many texts, that's fine. I don't believe Verizon offers that base choice. You have to have some kind of plan, especially if it is a smartphone.

jigwashere likes this.
  6. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Hook, thanks my AT&T Go Phone is 10 cents a minute for voice and some type of counting for text and pictures (data?) I just sent a picture (from phone camera) and a few words text and the charge was 20 cents. Seems that's the getting started price for texting and some addition is added for more text. I may send several pictures and brief text to see what I am charged. The $100 a year was always enough for me on GoPhone, then I met a woman who uses a iPhone (not the subject of this thread) for everything, including email. Nice as the phone will translate voice to text.. to the point, I send a lot more texting and the cost is beginning to make me think buying a plan but the getting started seems to be in the $45 a month range, way over what I spend on GoPhone if I stay under $500 a year. My phone is set to use WiFi for everything but texting and phone.

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

If she has a SIM for her verizon prepay, and the iphone is unlocked and can be used on Verizon, she should be fine.

If she doesn't have a SIM, I believe she can ask Verizon to sell her one for a nominal cost; I strongly recommend finding a corporate store (NOT a franchised one-in NJ the ones that say "We R Wireless" and such under the Verizon logo are the franchise ones). A corporate store is far more likely to just issue a SIM without complaint.

Depending on what's convenient for you, I will say I've always had excellent experiences with the Verizon store on Rt 202 in Bridgewater, near the Wegmans. They're very friendly and knowledgeable, and they've never pushed a hard-sell on us.

Hook, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  8. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

?fear, Thanks for the heads-up on Verizon stores, not all created equal. The AT&T store in Flemington is very helpful at no charge... but need Verizon and if don't like iPhone 6 can always be used on AT&T, maybe Prepay. Here both the lady and I are low traffic cell phone users, still using old hat Internet access and voice telephone. The one on Route 202 is about 10 miles from her home in Basking Ridge, the store in Bridgwater may be closer, but don't know what type it is. A work in progress, a low priority for her.

On a more general line, she was given a recommendation to "get with it", get a GPS for the car, a Tablet, and a smart phone. Given the power of the iPhone 6, and that she has a PC on the Internet, I think the iPhone could serve her limited needs for a tablet (email, browsing, paying bills) as well as smartphone. The GPS on the smartphones are just not as safe as a driving GPS, like Garmin nuvi, stuck to the windshield. The maps feature on my Nokia low cost smartphone is very functional, but it doesn't to my knowledge give turn advice... it will plot a route and has very detailed map information, not sure where it gets it from (memory?) I'm sure it isn't making a phone call.

9. Hook

I was talking current plans. AT&T ditched the 10 cent plan, but you are no doubt grandfathered. No reason to upgrade if it works for you. You might be able to buy a texting package that could reduce the cost of your texts without disturbing your 10 cents a minute plan.

jigwashere likes this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Not to throw a wrench in the works; but don't these carriers make you get a data plan? Otherwise, I do think the 6 has all the radios and if the phone has been paid for, the law requires it to be unlocked.

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.