iPhone 3G, push email, notification w/screen locked?

Discussion in 'iOS / iPhone' started by Silly Rabbit, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silly Rabbit

Silly Rabbit In training!

I'm now the owner of an iPhone 3G (the 8 gig ones are on sale for $99 with the impending release of the next gen iPhone!) I've only had it for a few days so I'm still working things out. I think I've got push email working via a Yahoo email account. But it seems like if the iPhone screen locks, the email notification goes to sleep, too. IOW, you have to unlock the screen in order to see any email notification. Which pretty much defeats the purpose(s) of having push email. :confused: I've Googled this problem & it seems I'm not the only one who has encountered it. But it still seems pretty stupid, if you ask me. So I'm wondering if there's something I've overlooked? Third party app that helps? Yahoo push email sucks?

BTW, I did jailbreak it, so if there's some fix available that route, I'm good to go.

TIA!

2. brickman65

brickman65 It's a state of mind..

Congratulations SR!!!!:D

Unfortunately I do not know much about Yahoo "push" except that it was lacking. I use Mome and it buzzes or dings my phone even it is locked. Acts just like a BB. Rumor has it that Gmail is trying to get true push the iPhone but it is not there yet.:(

I think Pupator, when he had his iPhone, had push email through a different service.:confused: I will have to look around and see what I can find.

Let us know how it all goes!:newpalm:

3. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

My yahoo email either beeps or vibrates while device is locked depending on if I have it on silent or not.

4. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

yeah congrats SR, i've never not had MMe so not sure how Yahoo Push works w/o MMe. I get a beep or a buzz

Mickeylittle do you have MMe?

5. Mickeylittle

I'm a windows vista dude so I haven't looked at mobileme. Is it worth the $100 a year?

6. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

well yes and no. for a mac user i think it is, but for a PC user I'd have to really check it out.

in the mac world, iCal, AB and Mail are seamlessly synced desktop<=>iphone<=>MMe, also iDisk functions virtually like a FTP server for large files, even an option for the link to die after 30 days I believe, all seamless again form within MMe no other apps needed.

i thought it was MMe doing all the pushing but if you are getting Yahoo pushed w/o an additional app, MMe may not be worth the price if your sync services are acceptable to you, eh?

7. Mickeylittle

See I don't have outlook so I'm not syncing my calendar or contacts. I've messed around without much success with goosync. I'm waiting for 3.0 to see if there is a better solution.

My real email account is with bellsouth.net but I couldn't send emails from it on 3G itwould only send on WiFi so I setup a Yahoo account and I have all my bellsouth mail automatically forward to yahoo and it works like a charm. People sent mail to my bellsouth account and within seconds it is automatically sent to my yahoo. I have push turned off and fetch set to check mail every 15 minutes. I guess if I needed my mail ASAP I could turn push on? I'm not that familiar with push.

8. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

yeah that's what i do, in the beginning i would push, but that's only for .me and .mac emails, and i had fetch set to 15 minutes, see fetch new data/advanced, POP and IMAP are fetch only 15 min, 30 min or hourly.

however, sometimes it appears that POP and IMAP are being pushed ... but after nine months or so the thrill wore off and i preferred better battery life so I now have .me, .mac, and yahoo and my university email all set to 30 minutes. But my laptop Apple Mail app is still set to 15 minutes (choices are 1, 5, 30 or an hour)

9. brickman65

Yeah, that is the only thing about "push". It and 3G will eat up a battery!:( This is one of the few true gripes I have against my iPhone, the battery. In fairness I really push mine through out the day during the week. On the weekend I will turn 3G off and turn WiFi on for my home network and my battery life will double.

Anyway, I wish Apple would take a page out of the BB play book about battery life.;)

10. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

SR, push going to "sleep" has been a problem on and off with the iPhone for a while. A few questions:

-Do you have push enabled in settings?
    -Do you have any other email accounts that are being checked?
    -Do you live in a 3G area? (If you're on EDGE much of the time, you won't get email pushed while you are on the phone, etc, which could be delaying its delivery later.)

11. Green Loontern

Green Loontern Gustatus similis pullus

Amen, brother! Especially if you're getting "pushed" while in an area of spotty network coverage. The iPhone responds by throwing more power at the GPRS/EDGE/3G radio, and burns through your battery charge in no time.

Do you have to turn 3G off? When my iPhone wakes up and finds itself in range of my home router (or another friendly and familiar access point), it automatically chooses Wifi.

12. brickman65

No, if WiFi is on it will automatically go to WiFi over 3G, but because I am usually out of the office so much I will turn WiFi "off" to try to conserve as much juice as possible. As I understand it, if WiFi is "off" the iPhone will not "look" for a WiFi spot.

13. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

QF made me think ... toggle my brain on ;) ... it just occured to me that you are referring to Yahoo as being pushed SR, it will only be fetched, 15, 30 hourly or manual, if you have fetch set to manual it may appear you are getting no notifications, even if push is on because push is only for .me and .mac

yes, that's certainly my case at home and university it will always go to wifi over 3G if wifi is on

14. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

BerylB, Yahoo offers push mail as well. In fact, Yahoo was supposed to be pushing right from the start of the original iPhone launch. It's been plagued with reliability issues like SR described, but theoretically it's been available since launch day.

15. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

OH, well thanks for the correction QF, so that's why sometimes it appears to be pushed because it is really trying to eh! Imagine that, did they notify customers and I just missed it?:eek:

EDIT: is this only for the pay service yahoo plus? how does the iPhone know actually look for it like .me or .ma emails?

16. Silly Rabbit

Thank you!

Yeah, DH has a BB Storm & his phone is always buzzing b/c of emails. After further dinking, it seems my problem may be intermittent. So now I just have to figure out where the weak link is. :(

Most of the time, I'm only going to want work emails pushed to the iPhone. So I set up a Yahoo email account (strictly for the free push email feature.) Then I went to my Cox account (main email address - all emails that I really care about either go directly to this address or are forwarded to this address) & added a filter. The filter should be forwarding only the emails coming from myworkdomain.com addresses to the Yahoo account. Then (in theory) if the work emails are forwarded to the Yahoo account, they should then be pushed to the iPhone. So as a test, last night, I set the Cox account to forward ALL emails to the Yahoo account. Well the iPhone was buzzing & singing quite often, all night long. :D So now, I'm thinking the potential problem areas could be:

1) The Cox email forwarding isn't happening as quickly as I think it should or isn't working properly. :p
    2) The Yahoo push email isn't happening as quickly as I think it should. :p

Answers:
    1) I think so. I go to settings & for "fetch new data" is says "push."
    2) Yes. I have my main Cox account (for all email - but it doesn't do push. I just have it on there so I can check it manually, when I want to.) Then I have a Google account. I have this one strictly for the over air syncing of contacts. (I may not stay with this but at this time, it seems like the best option for maintaining contact info on my desktop & the iPhone and keeping them in sync. Plus, since Google is supposedly going to be adding push email, eventually, this may allow me to ditch the Yahoo account & use the Google account for syncing contacts AND email.) Then the third (and last) account is the Yahoo account which only syncs email - no contacts.)
    3) I dunno...??? How can I tell?

17. Silly Rabbit

Or...it could be that. :D

Maybe what I'll do is try the Mome 60 day trial & see if that works better than Yahoo. My biggest reservation about trying too many options is that I don't want to get all my contacts set up in one form & six months later, have to migrate them to another format. I know you can export/import but even then, it seems to take some tweaking & dinking. I have Outlook on my PC but I really don't want to use it for my main contact source b/c it adds EVERYONE. I mean, if you get an email from some guy you bought something from on ebay, his email address goes in there. I don't want that on my iPhone. Unless there's a way to control Outlook 2003 so this doesn't happen...maybe I need to look into that...(sigh) Getting new toys is so much fun...and so much work...:eek:

18. Hook

Hook Naked and Unbroken

<Trying not to disturb the troubleshooting, Hook waves at Silly Rabbit to say hi because she doesn't come around very often these days> :)

19. Silly Rabbit

Nope - push email works for the free Yahoo accounts. But if my intermittent problems are on the Yahoo end, I'd rather have a pay service. Mail2Web has a pay for push service ($5/month) but you are limited to 100 contacts.

BTW, when I was testing this yesterday afternoon, I was sending emails from a Google account to my Cox account which then should have been forwarded to the Yahoo account which then should have been pushed to my iPhone. :eek: With all that cyber travelling, am I simply being too impatient by expecting the iPhone to buzz within five minutes of my sending the email?

20. Silly Rabbit

<SR waves back at Hook and notices some new shininess>

Congrats on your new 5800!!!