IPAQ Wireless is only WLAN - help?

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by alan sh, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alan sh

alan sh Mobile Deity

I seem to have lost access to BT via the Ipaq Wireless plug in. Even a soft reset won't bring it back.

Anyone know how I can get it re-enabled? Or is there any better plug in I can use so I can start BT from the Today screen?

Alan

2. Mickeylittle

Mickeylittle Former TX/Ipaq 210 User

Alan,
    You can try...
    menu, settings, today, items and the unchecking ipaq wireless and checking wireless for items to be displayed on the today screen.
    Mick

3. alan sh

alan sh Mobile Deity

That just gives me wireless, not BT

Alan

4. Mickeylittle

Alan,
    This is from Tech guy on like page 11 of these threads

Simply open up the Hp wireless window ( do not click on the toggle icons but on the bar itself to open up the dual tab window, if were talking about the same problem, the BT tab will not be available ).

The trick is to close the hp wireless app using a task manager ( not the X at the top even if its set to close )

I personally use quickmenu, once the proccess is killed the today plugin still shows but the x on each toggle icon will be replaced by a gray one. Simply tap this bar and the hp wireless tool will reload properly and will be able to manage both wifi and bt.

It take me only 3-5 seconds to do so it is a very quick and simple fix for me.

Mick

5. alan sh

alan sh Mobile Deity

Right, so I open up the Wireless app - it only shows WLAN and not WLAN and BT - then close it using task manager.

Yes, that works. Thanks.

But why does it not work through a soft reset?

Alan

6. MD1032

MD1032 Mobile Evangelist

So you're saying that when you tap "iPAQ wireless" on the today screen, you do not see a bluetooth tab at all??

7. Mickeylittle

MD1032,
    u r correct. It happened to me too but I did the above procedure + changed from ipaq wireless to just wireless on the today screen and it has not happened again.:confused:
    Mick

8. iant54

iant54 Mobile Evangelist

It's happened to me twice - not sure what brought it back the first time, but just restored it again using the method above. Thank you!

9. juttonn

juttonn Mobile Consultant

This has happened to me quite a bit. I've just gone to Start>Settings>Connections>Bluetooth to turn on and manage bluetooth without the iPAQ wireless manager. Glad to learn of this fix however, the wireless manager is much nicer and easier of an interface.

10. Mickeylittle

jutton,
    For me there is a 2 part fix. The second part is changing from ipaq wireless to just wireless on the Today screen. Ever since I've done that it has worked perfectly.
    Mick

11. TimothyP

TimothyP Mobile Deity

You mean like this?
    [​IMG]

12. alan sh

alan sh Mobile Deity

Yes, just like that!

13. juttonn

Yeah Mick, I've used the standard Wireless today screen interface, but I took it off from my today screen in favor of the iPAQ Wireless interface, which I like better (you have quick links to do things like view available wlan networks, bluetooth settings and connections, version info, MAC and IP address--you just get a lot more info). From what I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the actual Bluetooth wireless on the device, it just doesn't get loaded into the iPAQ wireless interface properly, so I prefer just to restart the iPAQ wireless when needed--usually doesn't need it more that once a day. Not perfect, and not as good as it should be, but it's something that I can live with.

14. alan sh

alan sh Mobile Deity

Yes, me too. I don't like the basic wireless today front end - the Ipaq one is better - but buggy.

Alan

15. juttonn

I've found a permanent fix for the problem that works for me at least. I installed the trial of MemMaid (I think they give you a 10 day evaluation period). Anyway, in looking through the options of the program, one of the tabs lists the startup programs and in what order they load. Both the Bluetooth stack (BTTrayCE.ink) and the HP wireless utility (iPAQWireless.ink), among others, are listed. I had the idea of pushing the BTTrayCE.ink up to the top of the list (to be loaded first) and the iPAQWireless.ink to the bottom of the list (to be loaded last) hoping that would give the Bluetooth stack enough time to finish loading so that the HP wireless utility would find it when it loaded, and it is working for me. Now every time my device does a soft reset, the Wireless utility shows both WiFi and Bluetooth!

I'm sure there are other programs that could do the same thing, or by editing the registry directly, but MemMaid (http://www.dinarsoft.com/memmaid/) is a free download and the evaluation period is plenty of time to make the change.

16. xtonda

xtonda Mobile Deity

I went further and deleted everything from startup except BTTrayCE and completely everything from services and no longer have problems with ipaq wireless.

17. emilb

emilb Mobile Evangelist

After experiencing problems with HP wireless manager I've disabled it and enabled the windows mobile wireless manager that, on my opinion, is faster and provides same functionality.
    To fast switch on/off wi-fi and/or bluetooth I suggest you to use the AE Button Plus, that is an amazing software. You can map buttons to almost everything. And switch on/off wi-fi/bluetooth is one of very big list of options.
    For bluetooth settings fast acces I've enabled the bluetooth tray icon, as in my old device.
    I'll descrive this on a new thread.

18. juttonn

Does AE Button allow you to map the Start Menu button and the OK button to other tasks? The software that I use (I believe part of the the iLauncher functionality) doesn't work to remap those buttons.

19. emilb

emilb Mobile Evangelist

Yes, you can remap the OK and the Start buttons.

20. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

An excerpt from my forthcoming iPQQ 214 review:

You’ll almost surely encounter problems with the Wireless tab after some resets; it simply doesn’t display the Bluetooth tab:

[​IMG]

Fixing this is fairly easy if you already have SKTools on your PDA (if you don’t, consider purchasing it – it’s really worth it!), click Category (left softkey) and select Maintenance (this isn’t needed; just helps to find the menu easier); then, select Windows Startup:

[​IMG]

You’ll see a list of the programs started; one of them we need will be BTTrayCE.lnk:

[​IMG]

and the other is iPAQWireless.lnk:

[​IMG]

Now, with the latter, select Action / Order / Down (screenshot HERE) continuously, until its “Order” no longer increases; in the following screenshot, it got 11 (on your PDA, it’ll almost surely be something else):

And, with the former (BTTrayCE.lnk), do exactly the opposite: highlight it and select Action / Order / Up repeatedly:

[​IMG]

until its order reaches 1:

[​IMG]

Now, you’re ready – from now on, you’ll always have the BT icon in the Wireless applet.

Note that, unlike with MemMaid, the trial version of SKTools only displays six items of any list. This mean you can’t use it to quickly do this hack. If you absolutely don’t want to pay for SKTools (I definitely would! And have already done…), go for MemMaid following juttonn’s post linked to below – it lets for doing this hack using the trial.

(
    Original tip, with MemMaid, by juttonn)