Ipaq 4700 as iPhone

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Digitaldoc, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digitaldoc

Digitaldoc Digitaldoc

If only HP would put a phone chip in the 4700. I expected that to happen next when I bought my 4700 years ago. What are they waiting for with the obvious success of the iPhone? :confused:

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I think HP sees their devices as primarily business machines, rather than consumer units. Businesses are typically more concerned with email, security, longevity, and ease of entering data than they are with bigger screens and the like.

3. Digitaldoc

Digitaldoc Digitaldoc

Agreed, but businessmen are like me. They want business functions with a screen they can see and manipulate with ease. Vision is an issue over 40 for business folks. Kids like big screens not for vision but for, well yes vision, vision of games and pictures, as big as possible.

4. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

The closest you can get to turning the hx4700 into a Pocket PC Phone is to get one of those CFIO cellular cards. (There are some fairly recent ones for GSM networks, but you'll have to make do with really old hardware if you want to use one for Sprint. Not sure about Verizon or other CDMA2000 carriers.)

However, said CFIO cards are quite expensive, and they won't provide the same integration as on an actual Pocket PC Phone Edition device.

5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Thread relocated to ipaq 4000 series.

6. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Relocated again to the hx4700 forum.

7. Paul79UF

Paul79UF HX4700

I've used the HX4700 with the mobile Skype internet phone software with some success. But only for a few calls on one trip.

I doubt that will solve your problem...but thought you might be interested.

8. GoSolar

GoSolar Mobile Enthusiast

I also used Skype on my 4700 successfully (mostly).
    I used both SkypeOUT for making calls, and a SkypeIN number for receiving calls in Japan this summer. Receiving calls while sipping coffee at a free hotspot was great! And I made local, long distance, and international calls successfully with my 4700 and SkypeOUT.

Issues:
    1. Not as many free hotspots as there used to be. I could have paid for several national service plans for wifi access, but chose not to.
    2. On several occasions the connection was really bad. Lag time, voice quality. Most of the time, however, it worked really well.
    3. Headset. I couldn't find a good headset to use with my hx4700 and ended up buying a Ham radio earbug & mic. (ICOM HM-166PL, about US$25). This unit plugged directly into the iPAQ without any adapters, BUT you have to push the little button on the mic to talk. If you know of a good alternative, please tell me! (Cost of the headset was a bit high, IMO)

I've also used it successfully in the US, but don't have a SkypeIN number in the USA. SkypeOUT has worked very well.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.