Ipaq 3850 - Hard Reset - Not My Choice

Discussion in 'iPAQ h3600-h3900 series' started by imported_welwyngc, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imported_welwyngc

imported_welwyngc Mobile Deity

I loaded a game (Turjah 11).

After playing the game for maybe a minute, my Ipaq suddenly did a hard reset!!!!

I have never experienced this with any of the many PPC's which i have owned.

I have always relied on soft resets, either to resolve a lock up or to clear memory. But I have never had a PPC simply do a HARD RESET in this manner.

There was another thread here the other day
    '..Loaded PocketSNES - Lost EVERYTHING..'
    This was also with a 3835

Anyone else experienced this? - i hope not.

The formal way of doing a hard reset on the new Ipaqs is:
    '...Simultaneously hold down the outer application buttons (Calendar & iTask) and press the soft-reset button for 5 seconds....'

2. imported_wynix

imported_wynix Mobile Deity

I have been having MAJOR issues with this. I called Compaq and they said they will look into it and fix it. At first I thought overclocking caused this.. Apparently it does it all the time. I don't think your the first person. Quite a few people complained about this, and the only solution... send it back or get a replacement somewhere.

3. imported_welwyngc

Wow - I had no idea. i have followed the issues which have been showing up with the 3850 BUT I had never heard of this one before I experienced it today.

Oh dear - i guess that i will have to return it

4. imported_wynix

The thing I'm worried about is I have the latest ROM update. It's date is 11-30-01 and it doesn't work. I mean.. how are they going to fix this? Obviously there probably aren't any updates available. They better not send me some refurbished unit!!!

5. imported_welwyngc

wynix:

I have ROM 1.14

I did a quick search of the discussion boards as I am sure that i had not read about this problem before, but you wrote:

'...Quite a few people complained about this..'

Where did you see this? - I would be interested in reading that.

6. Jazzums

Jazzums Mobile Enthusiast

Whenever I play Turjah 2 and use the directional pad, I get the screen that wants you to align the unit. The only way to get rid of it without re-aligning, I must shut the unit off and back on. I have since removed Turjah from my ipaq.

7. imported_welwyngc

I wonder (hope) that the delays on the 3870 are also related to Compaq fixing some or all of the issues with the 3835 and 3850.

There are a number of issues with the 3850 - most of which I can live with - when and if my PPC gets them.

However, the spontaneous hard resetting is absolutely unacceptable for me!

I am thinking about returning my 3850 and waiting for the 3870 - late this month or early in 2002?

8. Speed Racer

Speed Racer Mobile Deity

I'm having the same problem with my 3850 (rom 1.14) and I also have to do a soft rest every time I turn the unit on. I'll try doing a hard reset and live with the built-in applications for a few days just so that I can figure out if it is the PDA or 3rd party software. For PPC2002 being just a minor update I have to say that they created some major problems.

9. ottoman2

ottoman2 Mobile Deity

I had the same problem too. Woke up one morning and turned my iPAQ 3850 on only to see the welcome screen that comes up after a hard reset. I chalked it up to some bad software I loaded the night before. Well, through the course of the day it did three more spontaneous hard resets even though I left it alone and did not reload anything at all. Well that was week ago and no hard resets to speak of since that day.

Can an issue of corrupted memory cause a series of hard resets just because it hasn't cleared itself of the problem completely? I know this is stupid question but I can't explain why it is working fine now. I have everything reloaded except for the last program I loaded that night that I think caused the problem.

10. Speed Racer

Speed Racer Mobile Deity

ottoman2,
    What was the last program that you loaded?

11. dracula

dracula Guest

I wonder about people who say they need to soft reset every day..or the unit automatically hard resets.

I don't get these problems. Maybe you're installing software with bad code or something and it's not the hardware but the software that's causing this. I've got all sorts of software on mine now and I don't experience anything near these problems.

12. imported_welwyngc

Maybe I am misunderstanding your comments dracula, but a soft reset does not typically harm the PPC and all of the data is still there, but a hard reset sets the Ipaq to a factory new condition (ALL non ROM files and data lost).

I was the same as you until the other day. I have had my 3850 for nearly two weeks without any issues until this spontaneous hard resetting which I have now experienced - very unnerving.

13. loopdloop

loopdloop Guest

I'll bet it's just a bad program. I'd hard reset and go with nothing on it for a few days and then one by one install the programs that were on it. That might help you by finding out which program is causing the problem.

14. KozZo

KozZo ```````

Spontaneous hard re-setting? Now this is major. I have never heard of this before with any device? Are you guys running an over-clock utility? What has Compaq said about this?

Also, it is very good to do frequent soft resets, it refreshes the RAM as the OS can not to it as accurately. I soft re-set even when I don't have to just to refresh everything (like my desktop PC).

15. imported_welwyngc

Hi KozZo

No, I typically just run fairly standard applications.

MS Reader
    Audible
    Palm Reader
    MS Maps 2002

Plus some games (chess for example) which have always run well on my previous PPC's (IPaqs and Jornadas)

It really unnerves me that i will be out somewhere and I will experience a spontaneous reset (haha - not)

I would actually feel better if it was just me experiencing this - but it would 'appear' that I am not the only one.

16. imported_wynix

It's been an entire week that I gave my iPaq away for repair. i called tech support today, only to find out that they didnt do anything. no one there seems to know why it's holding up! I am guessing because of this hard-reset issue, they have to give me a new (or refurbished) iPaq, but don't seem to have any. I dont really know what is going on, but I am slowly starting to regret I didn't go the best-buy way...

alex

17. imported_welwyngc

well I have NOT experienced any further spontaneous hard resets - so i hope that it was just a one - off!

18. dmck

dmck Mobile Deity

My Ipaq 3835 also just did a hard reset by itself! I was playing Christmas Rush, which is a free 3D game by Numerical Design, and the screen just went blank while I was playing it. I did a soft reset, and found that it had HARD reset itself. My battery was fully charged. I've had the game loaded on the device for about a week and played it several times without a problem before.

This is a major problem! I have ROM 1.14. Unfortunately, I had not done a recent backup.

So is this a hardware problem or a software problem? I had no other games loaded on the device.

19. imported_welwyngc

dmck

I am sorry to hear about your experience.

It is very un-nerving.

As I had written, the same thing happened to me, but only the once.

I do not mind having to do a soft reset, but these hard resets really worry me as I have a lot of important data with me on the road and suddenly losing it until I get home is a great concern.

I am thinking about buying an inexpensive palm type PDA as backup coverage - go figure that one!

20. imported_wynix

I finally got my iPaq back (repaired from compaq) and it works perfectly now. no hard resets.. still incredibly slow though.. but this is a pocket pc 2002 issue.