iPAQ 21x is equipment in 2 speakers !!!

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by elektrownik, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elektrownik

elektrownik Mobile Deity

2. beechwood

beechwood Mobile Consultant

Speaker sound is bad because the 21x was never given a good speaker, period.

The back speaker is for audio (mp3, wav, etc.). The front speaker is for VoIP applications. The two speakers are both mono and independent of each other. They are not wired in stereo. Good stereo sound is available only from the headphone jack.

3. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

Are you certain that there are two speakers?

According to Foxconn's iPAQ Parts Store (HP HandHeld Shopper), a replacement speaker for the iPAQ 210 is PN 3S846-463 and is described as "1 Unit Used With iPAQ 210 series Enterprise Handheld" (click here).

Are there really two speakers? And how do you know what each does?

I can't find the datasheet, but the part shown in the photo appears to be a standard cheap ($2) little peizo ... the sort that can probably not output a full (20Hz-20kHz or better) frequency range, nor very high (>100dB) amplitudes. You can always experiment with other (5V) peizo's to see if there's any improvement - this sort of component (low-power audio peizo) won't affect the iPAQ's operation in any measurable way and so can be safely substituted, replaced, or even entirely absent ... better parts can do better things. Changes in power consumption would hardly be measurable - just make sure that your replacement still fits inside the chassis. ;)

The datasheet for the Wolfson sound chip suggest it is capable of excellent sound output (though at only 94dB), certainly better than what people report.

The WM OS and drivers might be poorly implemented, which might easily account for lousy sound. Alternative audio software is already available; I don't know how much difference these actually make but many people report improvements, at least in maximum volume levels.

4. elektrownik

elektrownik Mobile Deity

look on photos

5. Konrad Pierce

I did look at your photos, and as many others as I could find online. Sadly, I don't actually have a 21X to disassemble and examine.

The little "box" in the top center of the front chassis piece (top center on your first photo) could indeed be a peizo speaker. I can't be sure ... it could just as likely be a bluetooth antenna mount. Or it could indeed be a speaker - I just can't tell from these particular photos. Gotta actually see the part (or part number) close up, how it's plugged in, and where, etc etc

The one shown mounted in the rear chassis (part number OWE S-1115 35L-BA "741" shown) is definitely a peizo which matches the one available through Foxconn. Costs only about 2 bucks - you could splurge and get yourself a "high end" peizo with similar electrical specs for less than $5 ... possibly (probably) improving sound quality. I'm guessing that simply having the speaker mounted on the rear/bottom facing away from you doesn't help make things sound any better. Good job, HP. ;)

How about headphones, or even an external speaker inserted to the headphone jack? A possible way to entirely bypass the cheapy little peizo wrecking sound quality ...

6. xtonda

xtonda Mobile Deity

sorry, but those images are such a poor quality thet even letters on that thing you maybe consider second speaker are not legible.

And anyway, I was using several media players, SIP VoIP software and all of them cannot identify more than one audio output - the back speaker (or headphones if they are plugged in). There is even no setting to switch audio outputs.

So it makes no difference to me whether second speaker is not there or is there but software cannot access it.

7. wetsleet

wetsleet Mobile Deity

I've used Fring VOIP software on my 214 - so far as my ear can discern the sound comes out of the main rear speaker. Impossible to tell whether there is any sound additionally coming from a putative front speaker, since the sound from the rear speaker carries through the case anyway. I classify the front speaker alongside the bogus screen color depth originally advertised by HP.

8. MD1032

MD1032 Mobile Evangelist

I definitely think there's gotta be a speaker behind that HP symbol on the front... why else would they leave a gap like that? Has anyone called HP to ask about this?

9. beechwood

beechwood Mobile Consultant

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=252329&highlight=speakers

Click the link shown in wolfwolf's original posting. You will see a list of 13 PDF documents that HP submitted to the FCC regarding testing of the 210. Select the document titled "INTERNAL PHOTOS" and you will see the iPAQ 210 in all it's naked glory. Pages 9 and 13 show the front speaker, though you may have to set the magnification to 200-400% to see it clearly.

This was a hot topic when the 210 was introduced, as HP's original spec. clearly stated "two speakers" and all anyone could see at the time was the rear speaker.

Again, thanks to wolfwolf for providing the original link.

10. Konrad Pierce

Aha, the always insightful information at the OET ;)

(btw, is the FCCID for this device 'UCVHSTNH-F17C'? Is it preceded by HTC's 'NM8' manufacturer's code?)

I agree, the internal photos shown (here) are a bit more clear than the other links I've found, and the part does appear to be a second speaker. It is not documented, but some (including you, beechwood) have suggested it is somehow used for VoIP applications. I couldn't find any mention of this second speaker in HP's site or literature, but I recall (after being reminded) that a year or two back HP's original (tentative) specs for the unit did suggest two speakers ... I also recall something of the expectation that they would be used for stereo output, and the disappointment that such was not the case. I could be wrong.

[Edit]
    Re-reading the thread (here), I am reminded of something else that was discussed there: not everything you that the FCC/OET shares is necessarily 100% complete or accurate.

Firstly, the ODMs/OEMs are always tinkering with their devices, so what you see is not always what you get; it could have been the first-run prototypes and been subjected to all sorts of minor redesign changes, so long as the FCC-registered radio/emission properties are not substantially affected. So long as the antenna, the power supply, and all the various little parts and chips in between which effect radio performance are not tampered with, a simple thing like a second audio speaker could easily have been introduced or removed without HP really needing to change the device's FCC registration data at all - and I suspect that HP (like any other device maker) wants to deal with FCC-compulsory fees, regulations, and delays as little as possible, beyond simply ensuring that they comply with legal requirements (and have their own interests protected, see below).

Secondly, the OET's does work with these device makers to help protect their "sensitive" or "competitive" proprietary information; they won't actively spread disinformation, but they may be in no particular hurry to post some or all of the data until long after the device in question is already well-established in the marketplace. I've found that at any given time, the FCC data for hottest new toys from HTC/Apple/etc will not be posted for weeks or months - basically this info tends to quietly get posted after most of it's already appeared everywhere else anyhow. Again, I doubt that HP/etc relishes the opportunity to sit down with FCC's people more than necessary, but hey, that's what they hire wolfpacks of lawyers for.