iPAQ 210 Power bug, does NOT enter sleep mode correctly

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by David Hettel, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Hettel

David Hettel Mobile Deity

I believe that there is a bug in the Power off mode that does not allow the iPAQ 210 to correctly and fully shut down when we press the power off button. This can result in the apparent loss of power overnight due to having a CF card inserted. Here is a screen shot of my iPAQ 210 with both a Ridata 32 GB CF card and a Patriot 16 GB SDHC card inserted. As can be seen here both of these card can be inserted in the IPAQ 210 and not cause a power drain for more than six hours. This strongly suggest to me that it is NOT the HARDWARE (The Ridata 32 GB CF Card) that is causing the power drain.

[​IMG]

One more item. I have been playing with an old HawKing Compact Flash 10/100 Fast Ethernet card. The iPAQ can be shut off, (with power to CF set to off) and the card is still active. To me this strongly again suggest that the iPAQ is simply failing to shut down power to the CF slot.
  2. dement

dement Newbie

my CF card ate 8% overnight, now 16GB SDHC A-DATA = 0%
  3. Andriash

Andriash Mobile Enthusiast

I've taken my CF Card completely out and replaced it with the blank provided by HP, and I STILL lose anywhere from 2% to 6% over night.:confused: This is totally unacceptable and as a result have gone back to using my trust Palm TX.:D With the Palm TX, I can use it periodically throughout the day and still maintain my 100%.:newpalm:
  4. Konrad Pierce

Konrad Pierce Village Idiot 2.0

I assume that the iPAQ will always shut off all power to the CF slot when there's nothing inserted?

I have found only one application that addresses this: Spb Pocket PC Tips & Tricks, specifically Tweak 40: Warn when inserting a (CF) card.

It not only conserves battery power when CF cards are inserted, but may also correct your power-off issue as well. I actually use it primarily to prevent the infamous "Unknown Card" error from occurring.

Unfortunately this is commercial shareware, with a limited-time free trial. If anybody discovers something better, please share!
  5. David Hettel

When nothing is inserted it would seem it is irrelevant, nothing has the potential to consume power then.
  6. Konrad Pierce

I would normally be inclined to agree, DH. But we are talking about what appears to be one of HP's finer examples of rush-job engineering ...

Um, what I was trying to imply (with a poor choice of wording) was that if there is an embedded hardware fault that causes this then it would not be possible to correct this problem without servicing the hardware. Or firmware. Or something deep in the core of the OS/drivers.

It seems by many accounts that the SD/SDHC capabilities of this device are fantastic, but the CF capabilities are some kind of throwback or clumsy afterthought.

I would hope that a simple software fix would be adequate to resolve this issue. Preferably a patch or WM update from HP. I'd like to know if the Spb product actually has any impact; I have no 210 (yet) myself.
  7. David Hettel

I have access to this program. I installed it. By default the "warn" option is disabled. AS I recall this is for an older OS. It is I believe suppose to pop up a bubble telling you that you are on battery power and have inserted a CF device.

I enable it, and then soft reset the 210.

I then inserted a CF card, and got no bubble, as I expected. I inserted a CF modem, and again did not get a warning bubble or notice. I did get prompted to setup a modem connection suggesting that it did not power down the CF slot.

I am sorry Konrad but I do not understand how you expect/hope this may make a difference. If you can be explicit as to what you wish me to do I will attempt to test for you.

I have Resco Today Plugin loaded and this monitors the CF and SD slots, it is in effect polling the slots, I suspect that if I am correct and the iPAQ is not correctly put into sleep that users noticing a power drain may have some program such as this loaded that is checking the CF and SD slots every so often.
  8. Konrad Pierce

Thanx for trying, DH.

I'd hoped that this app would offer a solution to your problem, as it seems to be related to CF power consumption. It would appear it makes no difference. I have found that it resolves other CF-related difficulties on other devices.

I also use the Resco Today plug, and I don't think it's a factor. As I understand it, the "used/free" information is gathered from WM's own enumeration of these slots; it may not always be accurate, but it should be refreshed each time a card is mounted, unmounted, or has a change in contents. As it only reads information from WM (not from the cards themselves), I doubt it can be directly related to problems caused by power consumption within the CF slot.

Then again, Resco may have implemented things differently from what I expect. Or there could be any number of other oddities. So I could be wrong.
  9. sjlwr

sjlwr Newbie

I have a CF GPS card which is usually inserted in the 214. Even with the power off (sleep mode) the GPS is live. The GPS LED flashes if there is a fix or is or stays on if there is no fix. Dell had a similar problem with the X51v CF slot which they cured in a ROM update. Needless to say the battery drains because of this poor design. :(
  10. David Hettel

Sadly Dell unlike HP was willing to keep working at fixing problems until they got it right. Historically HP is unwilling to do this IMHO. My experience has been if you are lucky HP **may** release one ROM update and a few patches. Generally HP does not acknowledge software problems, nor do they fix them, it is silence we can expect.
  11. Konrad Pierce

I essentially agree with you DH. My experience with HP is that they tend to only release compatibility fixes and updates when it particularly relates to problems with one of their affiliated 3rd-party OEMs. Major WM releases and such tend to become available only when the major HP customers announce a demand - and willingness to pay - for such. (The mass of typical "consumer/prosumer" buyers are apparently not a major customer in HP's mind, judging by their track record.)

Dell has plenty of faults of it's own, to be sure, but does have a strong tendency to actually acknowledge and address the failings in their devices. Within reasonable limits, at least.

Anyhow, I have no 210 to analyze, and can therefore only see secondhand reports of how it all works. It really does seem like there are some significant issues with this device's WM software and CF support. I, for one, really hope that these issues are not fundamental to the hardware and can therefore both easily be corrected with appropriate software fixes. (If so, then the good folks at xda will surely do so, regardless of HP's ultimate contributions.)

I even recall that - for a short time, at least - it appeared that HP was not going to even include a CF slot in this device. (It also appeared that it was going to have only 64MB of RAM - fortunately this wasn't the case.)
  12. fexfx

fexfx Newbie

Not to rattle any cages, but it is specific to the Card in use.
    I have a 4gb San Disk Ultra II card in my 210 and it loses 0% overnight.
    I was wary of this problem when I got the unit since I'd seen it discussed on here while I was waiting to recieve my unit. The thing that gave me hope was that someone else had the same card listed above and said they also had 0 or <1% (not measurable) power loss overnight. Now granted I have not yet allowed my device to sit unmolested for more than 8 hours but that's because I am a fanatic and use it more hours of the day than I do not use it.
  13. Konrad Pierce

Does anybody know which CF specification this iPAQ complies with? And the cards, those which are known to be and to not be problems? Perhaps it only affects 5V cards, or 3.3V or who something ... ?

(Personally, I think it's a bad OS ... somebody will get around to fixing it.)
  14. showmethepda

showmethepda Newbie

From my own experience, I can state that I have a 16 Gb SansDisk Extreme III CF card and a 8 Gb Transcend SDHC card installed in my 210. I have had it for several months. The cards are always in place and the unit is occasionally shut down for long periods of time. I have never had any of the problems with power drain that have been described on this board. Perhaps it is related to specific units or is a problem that does not show up in all devices. Just another data point.
  15. DrAT

DrAT Mobile Evangelist

I've measured the same drop after removing the CF card. With the card in place, the drop is over 1% per hour with the device off; 16% in 12 hours. When the card has been removed, the battery discharges about twice as quickly as it did before I used the CF card when I use the device. It doesn't lose charge when turned off with no CF card installed. These figures are rather arbitrary but I use my iPAQs in a fairly consistent manner and after my experiment, a full charge lasted just 3 hours.
    I performed a full reset and restored a backup and the drain seems to have stopped.
    Quite where the power goes I don't know. There's no card present so it must go somewhere else. Also, if a reset fixes it, doesn't that suggest software?
  16. David Hettel

I suggest that this supports my belief that there is an error in how this device enters sleep/power off mode. That under certain conditions it is not put correctly into sleep/power off mode!

Just one more example of how the software is buggy. It doesn't even shut off reliably. The most basic of functions. There are multiple issues with this ROM.