iPAQ 210 Essential and VGA software

Discussion in 'HP iPAQ 210 Enterprise Handheld' started by Techieguy, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

2. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

3. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=216249

Also check out my later articles linked from the thread.

Yes, I have - I'll try to answer tomorrow (it's pretty elaborate and I have to think it over very thoroughly.)

4. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

You mean TAO (recommended the thread at http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=252467 ?)

TAO isn't bad but it has definite disadvantages when compared to Jbed (no full screen mode, no copy/paste in text input areas, no proxy support etc. Most importantly, it doesn't support direct invocations & ppage loading from Messaging or other apps, unlike Jbed when using my hack) That is, I REALLY recommend switching to Jbed.

5. aikidoka

aikidoka Mobile Enthusiast

any link to share?

6. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

7. xtonda

xtonda Mobile Deity

Unfortunately I was playing with Jbed from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=1483665&postcount=24 and had problems with it, it locks when trying to switch from portrait to landscape in Opera Mini and when confirming text entry, screen remains blank and I have to kill it. So I am now using ТАО TurboTweaked v. 11.1.7.1023, I found that 1029 exists, but 1023 i widely recommended for non phone devices.

Esmertec feels bettter, but hangs, IBM J9 6.1.1 which I used in Loox 420 renders strange and font is to huge on VGA, JBlendFullScreen does not work at all. TAO has several annoyances so I would like to have Esmertec, but cannot find reasonably working version.

8. aikidoka

aikidoka Mobile Enthusiast

installed this into the device memory but got error saying jbed cannot be opened, either is is not signed etcetera etcetera, looks like i have to continue using Tao MIDlet Manager

9. xtonda

xtonda Mobile Deity

10. xtonda

xtonda Mobile Deity

I spent quite a lot of time Testing various MIDP JVMs for running Opera Mini 4 and although Esmertec JBed has best features, it has several flaws (hanging sometimes, auto initiated DUN connection is closed immediately after downloading page, so new connection is established for each page, PAN BT connection drops after not so long period of inactivity, images on page with lots of them sometimes start "flasing" (image repeatedly diappears and reappears)). So even it is not fullscreen, for me Esmerted Jeodek, namely Esmertec_AG_Jeodek_Java_MIDP2_0_lockstream_build_20070425_1_1_by_dFine.cab, is the best for Opera Mini 4 on iPAQ 214 so far.

11. DrAT

DrAT Mobile Deity

I've been a big fan for some time.
    SoftMaker Office 2008 is in public beta now (www.softmaker.com) The killer features for me in the latest version are PDF export and printing. At last I'm able to print from my mobile devices and get documents that retain all of their formatting.
    You can try it for free. Be warned though; I got hooked on a beta and couldn't do without it.
    I'd add Mat Tablet to the list. It's great if you have a use for it.

12. 12DO2

12DO2 Newbie

I use Textmaker and Planmaker every day.
    I'm addicted to SimCity and Warfare Inc. but I haven't tried them on WM6.
    VxUtil is a must but I haven't tried that either.
    Being English, anything to do with weather is a must.

13. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

thanks for the report; I'll link to it in my next MIDlet Bible update.

14. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Mobile Deity

speaking of Simcity, we could ask the EA folks to release a VGA-friendly version of Simcity Societies (see my related review)

15. div

div Mobile Enthusiast

Anyone know a good wireless sniffer? I tried ministumbler but it doesn't look to work with the ipaq 210. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks

16. div

div Mobile Enthusiast

that might not be the right description. I simply want to scan for free open wifi networks when about on the town. the hp/windows software is fairly simple. Thanks

17. xtonda

xtonda Mobile Deity

Hi, I am now using JBed_20080912.5.1_by_Sorg.zip from here http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=1333&st=0 for several days and it seems to be best JBed for iPAQ 214 I ever tried. I does not suffer from image blinking as I described before and it did not hang during several days I am using it. Unfortunately it still drops self initiated connection after each request but I am able to work around this by using "Go Online" action in AE Button Plus before launching networked midlet. So I am finally able to use Opera Mini in fullscreen. But it is quite interesting that Gmail midlet does nou use fullscreen, probably application choose that. Also font sizes in Jbed have always been more reasonable for VGA 4inch device.

18. davethebossman

davethebossman Mobile Deity

@ mdanehart, coreplayer (tcpmp) plays any and every thing, but the newer version requires some tinkering, which i have yet to do, in order to play smoothly and crisply (<--is that a word?). Bad fps in default versus older versions.

Also, someone was talking about landscape issues... how so? Do you mean running windows in landscape or just playing videos in full screen mode?
    -------
    I run Minimo, IE, and Opera Mobile, and Opera is by far the fastest/most responsive in my arsenal. Definitely a must-have.
    TouchPal i can vouch for: excellent for anyone who wants to be less stylus-dependent. (thank you to ashma for introducing it to us)
    Lastly, an excellent add-on for those who want more fingers and less stylus is ThrottleLauncher. Free, AWESOME looking, and very customizable. Really enjoy the look and feel (almost exactly what you would find on the HTC Diamond i think). Doesn't eat much resources, and makes it quicker to mess around sans-stylus when combined with TouchPal. I would seriously recommend it to anyone who wants a new interface. Only issue would be the recurring problem of crappy CPU response at times, something we've dealt with since day one. An overclock app would seriously benefit the 210. Sigh.

dave

19. AshMa

AshMa Mobile Deity

Dave,

After reading your comment above, last night I installed Throttle Launcher and I guess I did something wrong. After installing it and the other Flow something file as instructed on the site, my 211&#8217;s screen stopped working. No touch response and my Spb Pocket Plus vanished along with all my other today screen plug-ins.

Perhaps I should have uninstalled Pocket plus first? I was able to use the pad and hard buttons, to uninstall Throttle and after a few soft resets, nothing had changed. Ended up having to do a hard reset as I found no info on the Throttle forums, which could help me. Is the program really that nice? From all the screen shots, it all looks a bit too busy? Better than Spb Mobile Shell and can it fully replace Spb Pocket Plus? I guess I&#8217;m not clear as to how and what it fully does.

BTW&#8217; after the hard reset, I installed Throttle again, without any other programs installed and it caused the same screen lock up again. I would like to see what you&#8217;re so hyped about, but I just can&#8217;t seem to get the program installed and working correctly.

Ashton

20. davethebossman

davethebossman Mobile Deity

Wow. I feel bad, Ashton. Hopefully everything is still okay, even though you will have to start from scratch.
    Anywho, prior to hard reset, did you not try to uninstall spb, throttle, etc... from your PC's control? Maybe there was no need since you used your buttons to do the job. Just curious.

Let's try one step at a time. Have the latest adobe flash player on your 210? Get it, since apparently you need it. Also, the info says to install NET.CF 2.0, but i'm a) not sure what that is and b) not sure if i even have it.

Also, i would for sure suggest re-downloading the .cab because i don't trust computers for anything. you saw i-Robot. Will Smith was right.

i followed the particular install instructions in order and had no troubles, so i am inclined to believe that perhaps the order has some degree of importance.

Lastly, you should know what i do and do not have on my 210 so that we can speculate software issues.
    -adobe reader 2.5
    -coreplayer 1.2.2
    -tweaks2k2.NET 3.24.1
    -spb pocket plus 3.1.2
    -calligrapher 7.5
    -pocket artist 3.0
    -SRS WOW sound driver
    -Lexisgoo Dictionary 2.7
    -pocket bible
    -Touchpal trial
    -youtubeplay 1.0.0.9
    -AOE 1.25 i think
    -sktools 4.3
    -IE, Opera, Minimo
    -Nursing Central
    -PHM Registry Editor

That is everything. Too much info? i think not. Now you know exactly what i have. Important note is that i made certain that spb pocket plus had no control over today screen, or any other little apps for that matter.
    I will guess that you have room to screw around since you did a hard reset. Try re-downloading throttlelauncher first. If this changes nothing, use something like PHM RegEdit to look around in the 210; see if some bad remnants of Throttle remain. You never know.
    Good luck and hopefully you get to try this puppy out, or at least fix this mess.
    As i said earlier, TouchPal and Throttle go hand in hand for a less-stylus-based approach to WM6. I really like the layout, and it makes me feel cooler. Everyone wants to up their coolness-factor.
    The dude who made it is part of xda-developers i think, so it makes sense that this app has the essence of the HTC phones.
    I should note, finally, that i am quite the amateur here. I just like messing around. Some of the big posters MUST have some better knowledge (oh wait, youre a big poster); these guys know the 210 like i know...uh... complex organic synthesis of carbonyl-compounds.
    Whew.

Dave!