IP Goes Nexus 6...WHAT?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by internetpilot, Nov 13, 2015.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Just started looking into Android O and was pleased to see that the Nexus 6 is already on the list for LineageOS 15 (Oreo). Looks like my trusty ol' Nexus 6 will still be cutting edge for quite a while, despite all the doom and gloom posts in all the usual forums about it only being a 32-bit device.

I think my long run with PureNexus will likely be ending soon. That was/is a great ROM and everything I wanted in a ROM (and didn't have to mod/create myself), but it's just not practical for the devs to port a 64-bit OS to a single 32-bit device, so I'm sure they will stop supporting it for the Nexus 6 soon. There's not too many features (at least ones that I used) missing from "stock" LineageOS that were in PureNexus, so I'll probably just use it as-is so I don't have keep modding it after each "nightly" (weekly) update.

Knock on wood, my battery (non-user replaceable) is still doing fine, but that's probably the next thing I'll have to worry about. When it does start to fizzle, I'll just replace it myself. I've changed out "NUR" batteries in much more difficult devices (ie, TomTom GO700). I'm just not seeing anything else out there that I like more than the Nexus 6. Well, at least not anything that's remotely reasonably priced. I refuse to pay laptop prices for a phone, so the Pixel line is out of the question. There are a couple of LG's that look decent, but I'm still so happy with my Nexus 6 that unless something happens to it, I just don't see me moving on to anything else anytime soon.

2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm still happy with my Nexus 6. Embarrassingly, I haven't updated the ROM since I first loaded PureNexus on it. I'm seeing a few performance and battery issues, so a clean install is in order. Anyway, it hasn't even been two years since I bought this, and I'd like to keep it going.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, Mi An and internetpilot like this.
  3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

To install the latest 7.1.2 re-base of PureNexus, you'll need to do a clean install anyway. Yep, November 2017 will mark the 2-year point for me, but the Nexus 6 forums are dying pretty quickly, probably because it's actually a 3-year-old phone. I'm a little surprised at that because the phone has some features that even brand new flagship phones (even Google ones) don't have. But I think all these tech nerds are freaking out over the 32-bit "abandonment" scare. Yes, Google's latest OS releases will affect that, but all of Google's 32-bit devices (including the Nexus 6) are no long supported by Google anyway. The biggest misinformation scare going around is the "end of 32-bit apps". That's just not going to happen anytime soon, especially with the vast majority of Android devices being 32-bit.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Mi An, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

The Z Play has a 64 bit processor, but a 32 bit ROM. I haven't exactly kept track, but I'm assuming if a $450 phone like that remains 32 bit, there must be plenty of lower ram, lower priced phones that are as well, not even considering the hundreds of millions of old devices that will linger long after flagship shoppers move on. PCs had 64 bit capable processors a decade before it become fashionable to universally run 64 bit OSs, and while I'm sure mobile won't follow the same exact pace, I think you're right not to be concerned about the end of 32 bit apps.

internetpilot and jigwashere like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

Again, not that things will be the same for mobile, but 64 bit Windows still runs 32 bit apps just fine. I wonder if we'll start seeing two versions of apps, where one doesn't show up depending on the Play Store's read of your device's specs.