IP Goes Nexus 6...WHAT?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by internetpilot, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I think it's a team of devs, just like Dirty Unicorns (the two teams work closely together). There is a primary dev for the ROM, but the team of devs develop it for devices they own. I know that latter is a requirement for DU and suspect it's the same for PN. Any version of DU developed for a currently supported device is "Official" (there are tests and weeklies as well) and any version developed for a no longer supported (by Google or the manufacturer) is "Unofficial."

2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

AFAIK the N5x is still supported by both Google and Beans, but I don't have one.

3. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Well, a lot has happened in the last few months. I'm still happily on my Nexus 6, running PureNexus 7.1.1 using round Pixel style icons via Nova Launcher. I'm also running Google Assistant, which is working perfectly now, including "OK Google" all the time. The PureNexus developer pretty much has all usual features/tweaks implemented in 7.1.1 now, so I'm pretty darn happy with it.

I've switched cases! Ever since I bought the Nexus 6 it's been naked (caseless and without a screen protector) and I've been carrying it around in a custom leather pouch. I also have a custom mount/holder for all 3 of my vehicles (ProClip) that only fits the Nexus 6 without a case. This has worked out pretty well for me, but the stock casing is rather slippery and I've had some close calls with almost dropping it because of the lack of grip. I've also gotten a little weary of pulling it out of the leather pouch, doing what I need to do on it, returning it to the pouch, etc. So I finally moved on to a case, and I really like the one I chose -- it's the SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Series hybrid bumper. It has a frosted clear back on it (so I can still see my beautiful white phone with the "M" and "NEXUS" logos), and then it has a rubberized "bumper" around the edge with the usual raised lip around the screen to help protect it. I'm really digging it. This is the first case I've ever owned for any of my phones that didn't also include a holster. I usually end up with some model of Seidio case that includes a holster to protect the screen, but the Nexus 6 is so big I really didn't want a case that added much bulk to already huge phone.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHFH8AE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This, of course, also meant that I had to change out the phone holders in my cars. This sucks, because those ProClip mounts/holders are rather pricey. ProClip makes a more universal holder that can accommodate a Nexus 6 in a case, but I share these three automobiles with my wife and my now driving sons, and their phones (Samsung S3, S5 Active, and iPhone 7) are all much smaller than my Nexus 6, and the ProClip holders are not easily adjustable. So I went back to the old, old days of back when I had a Palm PDA that I would use for a GPS, as well as my Palm Treo 755p days, and picked up a nice universal Arkon phone holder that perfectly fits (even the screw holes line up) my ProClip vehicle dash mounts. Now everyone (including my case-wearing Nexus 6) can use the phone holders in the car, and instead of the $40 pricetag of the ProClip holders, the Arkon phone holder is only $12.

It's amazing how a new case makes a phone feel new!

RickAgresta, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm currently using the same case (which has my Flygrip attached to it), and it has protected the phone from a couple of accidental drops.

My favorite case is the Spigen Neo Hybrid for comfort, but the plastic bumper on it keeps cracking (which they replace under warranty). I have a Spigen Ring attached to the back of that case, so once I switch back, I'll use the ring instead of the Flygrip.

I haven't used a mount/holder in my car since I donated my '98 Ranger :( and inherited my wife's 2002 minivan :rolleyes:. Can you send a link to the Arkon phone holder? I'm not sure it'll work with my Nexus 6 + case + Flygrip/Ring.

I've been bad/lazy. I rooted/ROMed my Nexus 6 when I first got it, but haven't upgraded. I'm still running PureNexus from 12/15. :eek:

Mi An likes this.
  5. internetpilot

I looked long and hard at that Spigen case, but it completely hides the color of my phone (white) since the back isn't translucent. I also saw numerous reviews about the frame cracking, including some that happened during the very first install.

I think the Arkon mount will work with both of your ring devices. You can screw mount it or use the 3M adhesive in your car. Why aren't you using the mount for the ring? No good?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SZHIEVC/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apap_JuudajSZPIA48

Google actually messed up the speakerphone function on all of their monthly updates since December I think, so you weren't being lazy -- you were being smart. Apparently it put a severe mic echo, making the feature unusable. I don't use speakerphone, so I didn't care, but it sure was causing a lot of whining from EVERYONE else.

scjjtt, Mi An and RickAgresta like this.
  6. SGosnell

For a phone holder I'm using a magnetic mount sold to hold a Garmin GPS. It has a very strong magnet, which holds my phone securely, without any arms or anything else to close. I just put the phone up to it and it stays. It comes with two different sizes of metal stick-ons for use if your phone doesn't have enough ferrous metal to stick. You can put them in the case, or on the back of the phone, whichever works for you. I really like this mount.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/scosche-dash-mount-for-most-gps-devices/6643252.p?skuId=6643252
    You can also buy a model with a suction cup for the windshield if you prefer that.

I've had no issues with the speakerphone function of my Pixel. Works like a champ.

scjjtt, internetpilot, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  7. internetpilot

I think any sort of magnetic solution will most likely interfere with the Nexus 6's wireless charging.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. SGosnell

It didn't interfere with the Nexus 5's wireless charging. But I've never tried a 6. Shouldn't be any difference, though. If it charges via Qi, there should be enough magnetic attraction to not need the extra ferrous stick-on. I didn't need it for the 5, it just stuck to the mount on its own, even through a case.

scjjtt and internetpilot like this.
  9. internetpilot

I meant the disk would interfere with wireless charging. It honestly never occurred to me that a Qi device wouldn't need the disk....haha.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. internetpilot

Got some great news from the PureNexus thread on XDA -- Beans (the PureNexus developer) is going to support Nougat 7.1.2 on the Nexus 6, even though Google is not. They still don't know about Android O yet -- it might be too different from Nougat to port something. I'm also closely following the LineageOS development thread for the Nexus 6, though, as that's highly likely where the Nexus 6 will get its Android O support.