IP Goes Nexus 6...WHAT?

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by internetpilot, Nov 13, 2015.

1. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I've only been using PN for a few months. I've been mostly running stock ROMs using PDANet for tethering. No problems even running stock ATT bloatware-filled Touchwiz.

The throttling only starts at something like 300GB used for the month, and I never approached that anyway. I don't remember the exact number, but it's fairly large. That could affect some people, though.

You can get higher speeds for more money. They nickel and dime you to death, like all monopolies. I don't drop them because there is no better option available. The only other option is ComCast. I ain't going there. I do not pay for cable TV. I will not.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  2. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Yeah, PDANet provides similar protection from carriers seeing that you're tethering. PureNexus just adds one line to the init.d that causes carriers to not see tethering.

I hear you about Comcrap. We're forced on it at the Florida house because developer of the community signed an exclusive contract with Comcrap to provide cableTV, internet, AND phone. This really ticked off AT&T, Verizon, etc., who are real phone companies, so even though the community built a cell tower, all the carriers stalled on getting on there for years, and when they finally did they provide such a weak signal that they might was well not have. So, we had to deal with really lousy internet phone service (because Comcrap really isn't ready to be a phone provider), but we couldn't even rely on mobile either. We now just have them for internet, moved on to DirecTV, and just use our mobile phones with the spotty connection. I'm loving Verizon FIOS up here in Virginia. We only have them for internet though. We get a ridiculously strong Sprint signal here in Fairfax. I can feel the tumor forming in my head type of strong! ;)

jigwashere likes this.
  3. internetpilot

Well, everything is still running fine on my Nexus 6 with the latest June release of the PureNexus ROM running the Elite kernal. I even flashed the latest Marshmallow radio (34R), and even it's doing well, whereas before it cause a lot of signal problems so I'd been running 32R.

The only problem I've encountered since discovering this solution was when I was really testing things out and, of course, Sprint decided to have problems with random outages all over the NE. Perfect timing, right?! I was thinking, "Oh, no...my solution doesn't work!" Then before resorting to tears in the corner, I tried to connect to Sprint data on my wife and two sons' phones. I've never been happier to discover that Sprint service was mostly down. Haha.

And then I was mad.

scjjtt, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  4. internetpilot

Okay, apparently the July updates for all the 3rd party AOSP ROMs were packed with significant changes from Google, to the point that 3rd party kernels had to be updated as well, because otherwise they were causing the wifi (and other features) to not work. Given that my working solution to my Sprint SIM card not being detected is running a 3rd party kernel (Elite) with the PureNexus ROM, I was getting a little nervous, but especially when there wasn't a July update for Elite. I updated to the July update for PureNexus (which installed the stock kernel again), and BOOM! No SIM card found. Sadness. I was really hoping that some of those major Google changes were a fix for this issue. Oh, well. So I flashed the June release of the Elite kernel, and didn't encounter any issues with wifi or other features conking out. Since the ElementalX kernel had already been updated in July, I tried flashing it and BOOM! No SIM card found. BIG-TIME sadness. That kernel used to work for me with their June update, but now it had me REALLY nervous that when the July update of the Elite kernel was released my SIM card would also go bye-bye. They finally released the July update for the Elite kernel, and with a major cringe and only using one eye to peek at the screen (specifically at the SIM card icon in the status bar), I flashed it and rebooted my phone. WOOHOO! SIM Card found and everything else running great.

I'm not really sure what the difference is between the stock kernels, other 3rd party kernels, and the Elite kernel, but I sure am happy that the Elite is still working for me. The other devs haven't been responsive at all to my error reports. I guess there just aren't a lot of people running the Nexus 6 on Sprint, or at least not anyone flashing custom ROMs. If they are, it's a pretty sure thing they're running it with the Elite kernel (either on purpose like me or by coincidence so they've never encountered my problem).

Another month with working PureNexus. I'm feeling pretty lucky.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  5. internetpilot

Just installed PureNexus 7.0 the other day, and they already put out another update that I installed as well. I delayed updating from PureNexus 6 for a couple of weeks, because I was really worried the update wouldn't go smoothly. After all, even Google delayed releasing the Nexus 6 Nougat update for over a month! But I was worrying for nothing, because the entire update and app restore went smooth as butter, and I'm loving Nougat! The best news is that I no longer require a 3rd party kernel in order for PureNexus to see my SIM card. Hallelujah!

About the only negative to the whole process was it the update and app restore really borked my Asus ZenWatch 2 pairing, so I had to factory reset the watch, repair it, and resysnc all the apps over. I think that actually took longer than backing up and updating the phone to PureNexus 7! But all is well now and everything is back to normal working order.

scjjtt, Mi An, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  6. internetpilot

PureNexus 7.0 is still running great. I'm looking forward to an update dropping any day now that will bring back a lot more of the bells-n-whistles that were in the PureNexus 6.x version. I'm running Nova Launcher with it, and I downloaded a free icon pack that is really some nice icing on the Nougat cake. It's called Pixel Icon Pack - Nougat (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.themezilla.pixelui), and it basically converts all the icons to round like on the new Pixel devices. It really looks and works slick! No connection or affiliation with the dev other than just really liking all the Pixel goodness that's now on my "old" Nexus 6!

7. SGosnell

I've given up on PureNexus. Some of Nate's posts have really turned me off, and he's no longer supporting my old N5. I see no need to change anything on my Pixel, for the first time since I owned my first smartphone. No bloatware, no problems, it works better than PN ever did on my N5.

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  8. internetpilot

They just released a new PureNexus update for all devices yesterday, which I was able to easily dirty flash with no issues. It is annoying having to do the ES File Manager root access fix as well as the build.prop modification for the AndroidWear app error every time I update.

The reason why I stick with Pure Nexus is because it's very stock Nexus, very stable, but has all the little mods and tweaks that I would like to add on to stock myself, but don't really feel like messing with doing all the mods myself, having to worry about reapplying the mods after each OTA security update, etc.

Pure Nexus is still supported on the N5. They just released the same Nougat update that I just installed today.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3477787

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

9. SGosnell

That's not actually PureNexus, although it's based on it. Someone else is releasing this. I may try it, although my N5 is sitting on a shelf, soon to be in a drawer, most likely.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. internetpilot

Was it Nathan Chance who originally supported Pure Nexus on the N5? Because Beans has always been the main developer behind the Pure Nexus Project. I suspect all these others are simply compiling his work for their specific (older and Google unsupported) Nexus devices. I take it Beans is now only directly supporting > the N6? With 7.1 being the last official Google release for the N6, I wonder how long it will be before PN for the N6 is taken over by someone else? Beans doesn't seem to like supporting anything that Google isn't. Can't blame him, I guess, but it's a lot easier to support an officially unsupported Nexus device than it is, say, my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, which never officially saw anything beyond an early Kitkat update. It didn't even get any joy beyond Lollipop from CyanagenMod (12.1) because of driver issues.

Oh, well. I guess no support lasts forever, even if my phones seem to! I still have a perfectly working/condition HTC EVO 4G, and my well used Note 2 is still in like-new condition. Knock on wood, my Nexus 6 is still as-new as well. Maybe I'll finally benefit from that when the World Mobile Phone Museum curator comes knocking....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk