IP Goes Nexus 6...WHAT? RIP Beloved Nexus 6...

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Nov 13, 2015.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Hey, if I developed my own ROM (or at least an unofficial version of LineageOS), I could post it on XDA, be a "recognized developer" , and start treating everyone who reports problems or has questions like crap! It would be totally awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

So when will it be available for download? :vbwink: (The question guaranteed to get you abuse on XDA).

3. internetpilot

Well, not for quite a while because I'm still searching for the absolute slowest, worst, pop-up ad ridden file hosting service I can find to host my ROM downloads. Plus people have already private messaged me about getting poor battery life from my ROM when I haven't even developed it yet. XDA is a unique place to visit, but I don't think I'd ever want to live there...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. internetpilot

Well, it's official. The developer of PureNexus announced on their Google+ site that he is selling his Nexus 6 and won't be officially developing for it anymore. He says there still may be unofficial support for it from a 3rd-party, but it will not come from the official team. Strangely, a very similar, often seemingly co-developed ROM, Dirty Unicorns, is still claiming to officially support the Nexus 6 with their upcoming Oreo release. So, in the meantime (perhaps permanently), it looks like I'll be going with LineageOS 14 and then eventually 15 (Oreo) when it is released. I've also downloaded another Oreo ROM called Validus, which is supposed to be very stable, especially considering it's Oreo, so I'll have to try that later to see how well it works.

It's a bummer to say farewell to PureNexus. That was a sweet ROM that I really enjoyed. Given that the next devices to become unsupported will be the last of Nexus series (6P & 5X), they're going to need to change that name...haha.

Hook and jigwashere like this.
  5. internetpilot

Well, it's official again. My beloved Nexus 6 became ill and although it never quite passed to the bit bucket in the sky, it did become so unreliable (frequent random restarts, lockups, etc.) that I had "put 'er down" (literally...she's sitting right next to my Samsung Note 2 (fully functional) on my desk.

I'm actually not quite sure what happened or how "permanent" the problem is, but I wasn't able to figure out how to resolve it after several days of troubleshooting, so I ultimately concluded that the problem must be hardware related. It all started when I tried an Oreo ROM "just for kicks" called AICP (Android Ice Cold Project). It's a pretty good ROM and rather stable for an Oreo ROM. Unfortunately, it was quite able to be my daily driver quite yet, so I restored my backup of LineageOS 14.1 (Nougat). Almost immediately I started encountering the frequent random restarts, cascading app failures, etc. I assumed my backup was likely corrupt or maybe just the restore was. I restored it again. Same thing. I then wiped everything except internal storage and flashed a known good version of LineageOS and Gapps. This seemed to work, but then after I setup the phone and started to restore apps, the random reboots started again. So I wiped everything again, flashed LineageOS and Gapps, but then allowed my apps to be restored from the cloud instead of through Titanium Backup. Again, random reboots. I then connected my Nexus 6 to my desktop PC and backed up everything from internal storage. I then truly wiped EVERYTHING (including internal storage), and flashed PureNexus and BeansGapps this time (both known to be rock solid, but just not very current). Random restarts. So I wiped everything again, and restored my original backup and then just let it sit there hoping it would sort itself out. It did get better, but then when I used it for my daily trip of driving the kids to school, it restarted several times, and then when I got home it locked up several times, which I didn't realize until I tried to use the phone and the screen stayed dark.

So, the only thing I could assume is that something is wrong with the storage chips -- like they are starting to fail. It's not that unreasonable, as SD cards fail all the time. It's interesting that when the device is in Recovery (TWRP), which is was frequently during all this flashing and wiping, it never restarted even once. So, it's definitely something with the System partition. Even as I was comparing my Nexus 6 to my new phone (Moto G5s Plus) to make sure I have all my apps, configurations, etc., the Nexus 6 rebooted a couple of times.

I guess my lone adventure into a non-expandable storage phone didn't work out too well. I have had SD cards fail on me in other phones, but that was easily remedied. You can't replace internal storage, and I think the internal storage on non-expandable phones gets used a lot more than phones that also have an SD card. Just a theory. I loved my Nexus 6 and the 64gb option worked pretty well for me storage wise, but I don't think I'll go back to a non-expandable phone again. That won't be to difficult, because the Nexus line is dead, I'll probably never own a Pixel (too much $), and I'll definitely never own an iPhone. I'm pretty happy with my new phone, but I'll save all that for another thread.

RIP, Nexus 6! :(

Mi An, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Sorry to hear that, IP. Had you shared a review of the Moto G5s? While I plan to keep my Galaxy S5 running as long as possible, I don't expect it to outlast me…

internetpilot, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Sorry for your loss, IP. My son has the Moto G5 Plus and loves it. Oh....don't forget to update your signature line! :)

internetpilot, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  8. internetpilot

Thanks, folks. I haven't posted a review of the Moto G5S Plus yet, but do intend to. Of course, there's some funny stories there regarding Sprint and their "Bring Your Own Device" program. I also need to post a review of the Asus ZenWatch 3, which I now have, too. I was kind of observing a grieving period for the Nexus 6... ;)

If this device switch-a-roo keeps happening, I might just have to remove my devices from signature, which is a completely ridiculous notion, but still...

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  9. internetpilot

Well, darn. It would appear that my Nexus 6 just really doesn't like me anymore.

Even though I already have my Moto G5S Plus, I wanted to try to get the Nexus 6 working again to keep around as an extra phone or maybe replace my son's rather ancient Samsung Galaxy S3 (which he still likes). So, I have this theory that my Nexus 6 mystery issue could be a failing battery. $15 later and I got a nicely reviewed replacement battery from Amazon (that even came with a decent tool kit).

Swapping out the battery on this phone is not the most difficult battery replacement I've done, but it's also far from the easiest. In their infinite wisdom, Motorola decided to adhere the back of the phone in place with double-sided adhesive. And not just a couple of squares or strips of adhesive -- an entire custom piece of adhesive that's the same size as the entire back panel. A little heat and some careful prying solved that and it only (haha) took about 30 mins of slow, tedious effort. Just as I thought the tedious part was over, next came no less than 22 t-4 screws that are so small you can barely tell they're screws. The rest of it really wasn't that difficult, even though there were several ribbon cables, and a whole Qi charging system/coil/connections to deal with.

I put in the replacement battery, connected the ribbon cables, and put about 1/2 dozen of the screws in just to hold everything together fairly well, and then I tested it. It booted right up! Woohoo! It also didn't immediately start closing apps, etc., so replacing the battery may have actually been the problem! Woohoo again!

So, I put in the rest of the 22 screws, installed the protective rubber caps for the battery and volume/power button ribbon cables, and was about to put a new adhesive sheet and seal the back in place, when I decided to try the phone just one more time. It didn't work. Connected a charger. Still didn't work. Verified all the ribbon cables were properly seated. Uh oh. The power/volume button ribbon cable had come loose when I installed the protective rubber caps. Reseated the ribbon cable several times and....nothing. It still didn't work. Verified everything was connected and installed as it should be and it does seem to be, but still nothing. The volume/power button ribbon cable connection seemed loose, but it's so tiny that even with a magnifying glass I couldn't really tell if it was damaged in any way. I took everything apart again, put in the old battery, and reconnected everything, but it still didn't work.

I really don't know what could've happened. I highly suspect it's something to do with the power/volume ribbon cable, but don't really know. Believe it or not, Amazon actually has this exact replacement ribbon cable for the Nexus 6, so I figured I might as well try it. If that doesn't work, I guess I just have to accept that my Nexus 6 doesn't want to be with me anymore.

Breakups are so hard. It's just that I really thought we had something there beyond the usual wifi connection, y'know? ...sigh...

To be continued...

10. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

The Nexus 6 became angry when it realized you didn't immediately package up the Moto G5S for return. It's the smartphone equivalent of holding it's breath. :vbwink: :vbrolleyes: