IP Goes Moto...Again? Moto G5S Plus

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by internetpilot, Nov 30, 2017.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I'm pretty sure it's actually in the Brighthand rules that if InternetPilot starts a thread, it's automatically considered off-topic. ;)

2. internetpilot

I haven't been able to see my quad core since high school. I think I'm at least up to a deca core according to my bathroom scale... :(

3. internetpilot

There's some fickery going on with Google and my new phone's external SD card. With Google now being Apple v2 when it comes to external storage expansion, the cloud, etc., I really don't think they give external SD cards much thought during the development of their apps. A perfect example of this is Google Photos. My G5S+ phone has a 128gb SD card in it in addition to the internal 64GB of storage. Yeah, if you need me to store a few nandroids for you peeps, just let me know. Anywho, so I take a picture with my phone camera and the camera app (which is Moto's not the Google Camera) allows it to be stored either in internal or external storage. I have it set to external storage. Google Photos does see the image and backs it up. However, when I look at the image in Google Photos and determine it's hideous and delete it, it's removed from Google Photos, but it leaves the image on the external SD card. If I set the camera to use the phone's internal storage, when I do the same process it deletes the original photo from internal storage. I thought the simple solution would be to just use the Moto gallery app or QPic to view the photos since they will delete the app from the SD card, but when I do it that way, Google Photos doesn't remove the photo from the cloud.

See? Fickery.

The only solution I can see working is if I reformat the SD Card to be internal, but that is supposedly hard on the SD card and a catastrophic nightmare if the phone croaks, because the external SD card will be encrypted and not readable in any other device. Not a phone problem per se, as much as it's a Google/Android problem because they want to be like Apple and try to force you into the cloud.

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

This is one of the reasons I have a phone with 128GB internal memory, because I really got tired of fighting with Google over when it would and wouldn't let me use an SD card and the only cloud service I really use is Dropbox because it's rules are transparent, knowable and reliable. I also use very few Google apps (another great benefit of dev ROMS). I know I shouldn't give in and keep fighting, but as Danny Glover used to say in the Lethal Weapon movies, "I'm getting too old for this S**t." :vbwink:

Unless someone has an app that handles these cases for you, you may need to go back to storing photos in internal memory and then archiving them on the SD card. Will be curious if you do find a solution.

Good luck.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Yes, SD cards are more of an afterthought these days on most phones. I don't use Google Photos, since OneDrive is the cloud I use. All my pictures, including the hideous ones, go to the cloud. I usually don't delete pictures one by one on my phone. Every month or so I mass delete all pictures from my SD card, then check on the computer and there I delete the hideous ones, and move and organize everything. The computer's large screen sometimes helps me reassess the hideousness of a picture much better than the phone.

IP, you may want to try Autosync Google Drive. This apps lets you define folder pairs, and backup direction. For example, pair your phone and cloud's picture folder, then set both to full sync. This way, every photo you delete on the phone (using whatever photo app or file manager you want) will also be deleted on the cloud. Or, you can set to upload only (this is what I use with OneDrive) so every photo goes to the cloud. There are several other backup actions and directions to try.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. raspabalsa

Dropsync :)

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I have dropsync, but I stopped using it because I relized . unlike my different computers, I really *don't* need everything on Dropbox on my phone. Funny thing os, I have been just thinking of reinstalling it since I do have 128 GB on my phone. :vbwink:

8. raspabalsa

I have several folder pairs on my phone: pictures is upload only (everything goes to the cloud, nothing is deleted from there even if deleted on phone), ebook collection is download only (in case I accidentally delete an ebook on my phone it won't be deleted on cloud), personal documents is two-way sync, Minecraft worlds is upload mirror (so the cloud is an exact snapshot of the phone, and older versions of worlds are deleted on the cloud). Works very well, my phone only has what it needs to have, and the cloud has everything.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  9. internetpilot

[sarcasm]As a career network engineer (now retired), there's nothing I like more than a random problem that has an unexplainable (yet working) solution. [/sarcasm]

I found some fellow Moto users in the Moto Z forums who were having this exact issue, and it turns out that the solution is to copy all your data off the external SD card, reformat the external SD card in the phone, copy all your data back on it, and then try to use it for your camera storage destination and try to delete a new photo from it using Google Photos. Google Photos will re-ask you all the usual questions about access and permissions, etcSAnd now, presto! It works.

I have no idea why because that's exactly what I did when I first installed the external SD card in there the first time, I was prompted for all the access and permissions, and as I whined about above, it didn't work. Now it does. So...yep.

Smile and wave, peeps...just smile and wave....

Edit: Although it's working, during additional tests there's some lag to the local file deleting after I delete it through Google Photos. Not sure if that's just an external SD card thing or what, but during some additional tests, I was like, "Darn it! It's not working again!", but then I noticed like maybe 20 seconds after Google Photos claimed it was all sync'ed the local file finally disappeared. So, apparently it's still working (fingers crossed).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    RickAgresta, scjjtt, Mi An and 4 others like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That's funny. That's how my wife describes me. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk