IP Goes Moto...Again? Moto G5S Plus

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by internetpilot, Nov 30, 2017.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

With the untimely flakey behavior of my beloved Nexus 6, I ended up in a "better safe the sorry" scenario where I picked up a Moto G5S Plus - 64GB via Cyber Monday sale at Worst (Best) Buy. So, I've gone Motorola again (my Google Nexus 6 is actually made by Motorola). It was a pretty good deal at $275 (normally $350). Strangely, I couldn't pick it up at any of the local stores (even though a couple of them had it in stock), but I could pay $6 for same day delivery. Considering Fairfax traffic, it was one of the best $6 I've spent.

The experience getting it activated on Sprint was typical. Unfortunately, the SIM from my Nexus 6 wouldn't work in the G5S+, and the closest Sprint store to me "isn't a corporate store" so they couldn't provide a SIM for me. So, to the Sprint store in the Mall I had to go, and it's just my luck that my turn in the line (yes, there was a line) put me in front of a brand new clerk...as in zero experience...just started a couple of hours ago. He was delighted to tell me this, and commended me about what excellent experience it will be for him to learn how to activate a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) phone. 1.5 hours later, the other experienced clerk took over, and I was up and working in 20 minutes.

So, to the phone... I really like it. I'm comparing it to my previous phone, the Nexus 6 (which coincidentally was also a Motorola phone), so here's a list of my pros and cons:

Pros:
    • 0.5" smaller than the Nexus 6, and it's a longer, taller phone. I had forgotten how wonderful it was to be able to use a phone one-handed. I really like the size of this phone. 5.5" is just about perfect for me.
    • Fingerprint scanner. I never thought I'd like this, but I really do. It works very well, it's instantaneous, and I haven't had any issues with it (unlike my youngest son has had with his iPhone 7).
    • Expandable storage. I did okay with my 64GB Nexus 6, but after almost 3 years I was getting to the point where I had to use OTG storage for my Titanium Backups, nandroids, ROMs, etc. The G5S+ has 64GB + 128GB MicroSD card, so I don't think I'll have storage issues like ever.
    • Speaker. This is both a pro and con. The Nexus 6 had dual front facing speakers which was really nice. The G5S+ only has a single speaker on the bottom edge of the phone, but it's actually louder than the Nexus 6's dual speakers were and sounds pretty good. Dual speakers are still better, but this isn't a bad single speaker.
    • Micro USB charge port. Yes, I consider this a pro and I'm in no hurry to switch to USB-C when literally all of my other devices are still micro USB.
    • Headphone jack. Although the Nexus 6 also had a headphone jack as well, quite a few phones (including some of the newer Moto models) don't. This is a huge pet peeve of mine and I just think this new industry standard is stupid.
    • Camera(s). This is also a pro and con. The G5S+ has a 13mp rear camera and an 8mp front camera. The rear camera is actually a dual camera, but the only purpose/use of the second camera is fancy depth of field features that I probably won't use much. The front camera is much higher resolution than most front cameras, and it has a flash. Both the front and rear flash are a very natural light color rather than the usual blue-white LED. Overall, the cameras are really good, but the Nexus 6's rear camera yielded better results.
    • All metal body. This is an improvement over the Nexus 6 and even a slight improvement over the G5+ (no S), which has quite a bit more plastic on it.
    • Moto "M" dimple on the back. The Nexus 6 had the same, so I'm finding myself naturally feeling for it when holding the phone. The G5+ (no S) doesn't have the dimple.
    Cons:
    • No Amoled screen. The screen is still pretty nice with pretty good colors and brightness, but the Nexus 6 screen was better.
    • Only one speaker, but it's a very good speaker (so it's also a pro)
    • Camera. The rear camera isn't as good as the one on the Nexus 6, but it's still a very good camera with some fancy new dual lens features and the front selfie camera (with a flash) is superb!
    • Not as much of a "World Phone" as the Nexus 6. The G5S+ can supposedly take advantage of the Sprint's free (limited) Global Roaming, but not as much and not as easily as the Nexus 6 could. The only way to find out if it's acceptable or not is the next time I'm out of country. It's not exactly a deal-breaker for me to not have a phone when on vacation, but it was nice.
    • Color. I have become a fan of white phones because of my Nexus 6, but the G5S+ is only available in gray and gold (?!). I chose gray.
    So far, everything is working rock solid. I did have a couple of glitches with texting, but that turned out to be a corrupt contact issue, which I've encountered before on my Nexus 6. Deleting and recreating the contact solved it.

It may not have been the wisest decision to buy the G5S+ over the G5+. I liked the camera, all metal construction, and slightly bigger size on the G5S+ better, but since the G5S+ is basically just a "Special Edition" upgrade to the G5+, there isn't much 3rd party development going on with it whereas the G5+ is a pretty popular/active dev phone. It's a relatively new phone, so I think development will improve soon, but I don't think it will ever get to the level of the G5+. Because of that, I'm currently not rooting it. Motorola is supposed to be releasing an official Oreo update for it soon, and I'm probably going to wait for that OTA to root it. I'm just worried that if I root it now and development never takes off on it that I won't be able to get a reliable Oreo update. My main reason for rooting these days has been wifi tethering, but the main people who use that are my kids. I very rarely use it. My older son's "ancient" Samsung Galaxy S3 is rooted (and currently running a Nougat by way of LineageOS 14.1), so he can always do the wifi tethering thing on his phone. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with stock ROM as-is. It's a very vanilla Android, and the only real difference between it and like a Nexus/Pixel Android is a few Moto special features like the camera app, some motions/gestures, etc.

I'm sad to see my Nexus 6 ailing to the point of not being reliable, but I do really like the G5S+. Thankfully, I had at least already heavily researched the G5+ prior to my Nexus giving me problems, so when it started to I was able to act fairly quickly to take advantage of Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. We'll see how smart I was (or not) to go with the G5S+ over the G5+. This is actually a really nice phone and not a terrible price even at MSRP of $350. In these days of $1,000 flagship phones, it's refreshing to see such a nice feature set in such a relatively inexpensive phone.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    raspabalsa, scjjtt, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I was a little worried about going from dual speakers to a mono speaker in my Moto Z Play, but I found it louder and clearer. I am glad I don't have a rim speaker, but I no longer care whether I have two or not, this speaker is better than my PC speakers, 1000x better than my laptop speakers. Amazing how little room and power they have to work with and how nice it sounds, even while I'm making noise with my treadmill, I don't even have to turn it all the way up to clearly hear what people are saying.

The Nexus 6 was the first phone I had where I really enjoyed video on it. I started watching video on handhelds starting with my T|T, my first color PDA using TCPMP. It was tiny, choppy, had to convert down, audio required using headphones, that experience was pretty much replicated on all my handhelds to some degree or another. Nexus 4 was decent, but rear facing speaker sucked. Inevitably, after trying out a few shows/movies, I always stopped bothering with it until Nexus 6 and have used netflix on them as well as recordings from my PVR. Glad the speaker is so good.

Anyway, thanks for the review. AMOLED is now a hard requirement for me because I read every night and love filtering on AMOLED where I can turn blue subpixels off completely vs LCD where I just have to try and cover up the white backlight and plenty of blue light still makes it through. But other than that, it's more bang for the buck than a Z Play.

3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - I was reading this review...

http://www.techradar.com/news/moto-g5s-plus-vs-moto-g5-plus-how-good-is-the-new-one

of your phone & it said...

''As you see, the Moto G5s Plus is actually what the Moto G5 Plus should have been.''

I think you were pretty smart to land this phone. If I had to get a new phone today, and couldn't get a phone with a replaceable battery, your phone is on top of the list. I think it is a great high end phone at a great value!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

4. internetpilot

I have to agree with that. I was actually pre-researching the Moto G5+ when my Nexus 6 started acting wonky, so I actually searched for the best Cyber Monday deal on the G5+ when I saw that some of the results were for the G5S+. I quickly searched for reviews on that model, made sure it had it's own section on XDA, and then bought it. The lack of the user replaceable battery was the only negative, but there just aren't many models that offer that anymore -- especially not at that price range.

Some reviews claim the G5+ camera is better than the G5S+ camera, but the G5+ camera isn't dual lens and is only 12mp rather than 13mp. The only advantage it seems to have on paper is a faster aperture of F1.7 compared to the G5S+'s F2.0. That gives it a little advantage in lower light, but I suspect they have the same sized sensor (probably even the same sensor), so I doubt that gives it much of an advantage (if actually any).

Still loving it. I can add two Pros to the list:

Pros (cont.):
    • FAST. This phone is fast -- much faster than the Nexus 6 was. I suspect that's because of the difference in screen size, type, and resolution (Nexus 6: 1440 x 2560 pixels, ~493 ppi density vs. G5S+: 1080 x 1920 pixels, ~401 ppi density), even though the Nexus 6 had a Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 Quad-core 2.7 GHz with an Adreno 420 GPU compared to the G5S+ having a "lowly" Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 Octa-core 2.0 GHz with an Adreno 506. Switching between apps running in the background (like Google Play Music or YouTube and the Google Maps) used to obviously lag with the Nexus 6. With the G5S+ it's BAM! Done. Despite the difference in resolution, I don't notice any difference in sharpness between the two screens -- only colors. Whites are actually better on the G5S+, but the blacks are much better on the Nexus 6. I can get around that a little by reducing the brightness on the G5S+, but then the screen isn't as (duh) bright, so....
    • Battery Life. Once this phone is no longer new to me and fiddle with constantly, I highly suspect that I could get a full two days out of the battery. I don't remember the Nexus 6 battery being that good in the beginning, but it's not really fair now to compare the two when one phone is brand new and the other is 3 years old. But battery life on this phone is excellent. It also offers the usual Motorola/Qualcomm Quick/Turbo Charging, so even when you need to charge it, it's fast. Not Asus ZenWatch fast, but still fast!

scjjtt, Hook, Mi An and 1 other person like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

From what I've read, the octa-core makes the device a lot faster than one might think if only looking at the clock-speed, comparing to a quad-core clocked faster.

glad to hear you're liking it so well, IP

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Octa-core sounds like something Spiderman would be enemies with.

lelisa13p, raspabalsa, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  7. internetpilot

I did have to tell Peter Parker to quit listening to his spider-sense and go home. It's just a phone, dude. Sheesh.

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Octa-core does sound better than quad-core. Octa-core sounds cool and tough. Quad-core sounds like something fitness related. I can just imagine my wife saying something like, "hey honey, your quad-core's getting a little flabby, there. Maybe lay off the donuts and do a few situps for a change."

I can't remember: how many posts are we supposed to make before going off topic? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Number of posts before OT (NP|OT) = [(number of gadgets being discussed) x (number of cores in higher-end device being discussed) x (number of BH old timers participating) ] / [(number of letters in OP's screen name) + (day of the week expressed in number, where Monday = 1, Sunday = 7)]

Thus,

NP|OT = [(Nexus 6 + Moto G5S+) x (8 cores in G5S+)] x (IP + Mi An + Scott + RA + jig (raspy doesn't count, as he's just dropping the equation on their collective lap)) ] / [ (i+n+t+e+r+n+e+t+p+i+l+o+t) + (Saturday )] =

NP|OT = [2 x 8 x 5] / [13 + 6] =

NP|OT= 80 / 19 =

NP|OT= 4.2105 => This thread is fair game already //

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

<RA can't help but wonder how many other gems raspy has stashed away, waiting for the right time to use…>

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Mi An and 3 others like this.